Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #6,961 of 7,699
I have IE80 paired with FIIO-E18.
Did not appreciate the IE80 as much as I hoped for until I decided to use FIIO-L17 cable and OFC cable to IE80.
The difference is huge.
I was hoping it was not a waste and turns out to be a good investment.
First difference was with L17 cable, the details are impressive compared to my previous cheaper cable(although gold plated).
Then slightly more detailed with OFC cable upgrade. Got it from ebay for 30AUD(include shipping).

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #6,962 of 7,699
  Hey can you update me on your situation with the replacement you ordered? I have ordered a replacement from Amazon as well just to be safe. If this one fails too, then they both are going back.

Same situation here, except that the replacement IE80 arrived today, and the authentication failed again! Now I'm at loss! The original IE80 sounds good so far. But to tell the truth I have no comparison as this is my first pair of IEM. Both of the IE80s are made in China. Where is your authenticated IE80 made? Also own an authenticated HD650, which is made in Ireland.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #6,964 of 7,699

Same situation here, except that the replacement IE80 arrived today, and the authentication failed again! Now I'm at loss! The original IE80 sounds good so far. But to tell the truth I have no comparison as this is my first pair of IEM. Both of the IE80s are made in China. Where is your authenticated IE80 made? Also own an authenticated HD650, which is made in Ireland.

I don't know where the genuine IE80 are made at and i can't check now as i returned them to Amazon to get the Westone W40. The IE80 were too bassy for me and would distort slightly in some music genres. I also love to hear the small details in my music and hence decided to get the W40. All i remember is that the authenticity check showed "Sennheiser IE80 West" on their official website when i verified them.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #6,967 of 7,699
  I don't know where the genuine IE80 are made at and i can't check now as i returned them to Amazon to get the Westone W40. The IE80 were too bassy for me and would distort slightly in some music genres. I also love to hear the small details in my music and hence decided to get the W40. All i remember is that the authenticity check showed "Sennheiser IE80 West" on their official website when i verified them.

I was really disappointed at the IE80 and they were genuine. The sound signature was either like in a can or pretty ok but the bassiness kind of disturbed the whole sound signature. I tried all the earbuds but couldn't find anyone that would please me. I had the opportunity to listen to the Westone 4 wich is supposed to be the same as the W40. That was impressive. I really appreciated the neutral and to me natural sound. With the IE80 I could hear details in the music i've hadn't heard before but with the Westone it was far better with even more details. The music was breathing. The IE80 are now sold and I'm in fort the Westone. :)

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #6,968 of 7,699
the thing is, getting the IE80 if you were looking for neutral, that's where the problem was. and if neutral is what you're really looking for, then I would advise to keep looking, as the W4 are not what I would call neutral sounding. the mids are almost as recessed as on the IE80.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #6,969 of 7,699
  the thing is, getting the IE80 if you were looking for neutral, that's where the problem was. and if neutral is what you're really looking for, then I would advise to keep looking, as the W4 are not what I would call neutral sounding. the mids are almost as recessed as on the IE80.

Getting the IE80 was a mistake. I bought them without listening, just reading impressions and reviews. I can agree to a lot of the impressions posted here on head-fi. To me the mids on the W4 were not recessed. There was a clarity and presence in the mids thats just not there with the IE80. That could be due to better foam tips or that they just fit my ear canal better. The W4 is not perfect in sound being totally neutral but as far as I have understod it's one of the better. What would you suggest as a iem with a neutral sound?

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #6,970 of 7,699
Getting the IE80 was a mistake. I bought them without listening, just reading impressions and reviews. I can agree to a lot of the impressions posted here on head-fi. To me the mids on the W4 were not recessed. There was a clarity and presence in the mids thats just not there with the IE80. That could be due to better foam tips or that they just fit my ear canal better. The W4 is not perfect in sound being totally neutral but as far as I have understod it's one of the better. What would you suggest as a iem with a neutral sound?

Try the GR07. More neutral than the IE80.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #6,971 of 7,699

Let me give you a suggestion of a very budgeted gear. Use a neutral sound tablet/smartphones (like Nexus 7, not iphone 4), install the Neutron player. Buy a reputed entral level amp. - Tropping NX1. Then you'll found IE80 is much neutral. But maybe need long term burn in, >a few hundreds hours.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #6,972 of 7,699
Let me give you a suggestion of a very budgeted gear. Use a neutral sound tablet/smartphones (like Nexus 7, not iphone 4), install the Neutron player. Buy a reputed entral level amp. - Tropping NX1. Then you'll found IE80 is much neutral. But maybe need long term burn in, >a few hundreds hours.
I'm using the Fiio e12a and the ie80 becomes very neutral I found. Imo

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #6,973 of 7,699

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm in for a dac/amp and found the Mojo and the iFi Micro iDSD interesting. The Topping is a new brand to me, found the Topping D1-MARK2 and read a reviews of it. It seems to offer a nice bang for the buck ratio. :)

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #6,974 of 7,699

I have used the IE8 for many years. The midbass hump is as prominent as ever. I don't see how burn in would help. Maybe components would loosen up with use. I don't see how that would tighten up the sound. Which is what is needed IMO.
I used a couple of different well regarded amps, Graham Slee Voyager and Headstage Arrow. Came to the conclusion that they made little or no difference.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #6,975 of 7,699
Hi guys! I'm looking into buying these earphones in the near future, and I have a few questions comfort-wise. I am coming from a Shure se-315, and they get really fatiguing after only an hour or so, also, it slips out of my ear, almost like the housing is too big for my ears. So, are these smaller? (But it seems they don't stick out towards mentioned part here:) On a certain location on my ears (as seen on picture) it pushes really hard, and hurts, also, I think that should be the part holding it in as well, yet it doesn't.

Take care! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back