Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #4,006 of 7,699
I'm having difficulties getting a fit that I am comfortable with. They all either physically don't fit, don't have a good seal or just fall out my ears.
I'm currently using the medium sized standard silicon tips, they're ok, but to get a good seal I have to push the IEM into my ear rather hard, and after a bit of movement I keep having to re-adjust.

Is there anything I can do? anyone else with this problem?

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #4,007 of 7,699
If you still have trouble after trying all the stock tips, you may need to look at other non-stock tips.

From my own experience, the tri-flange stock tips for the EPH-100 work great on the IE80. Not only the fit is good for me, but it really brings the best balanced sound out of the IE80 without that mid humps. I forgot these eph100 tips after getting back my replacement pair from Sennheiser. Now with these tips back on, the IE80 is back to life.

Make sure the tips not only give you the good fit but also bring out the best balanced sound. I believe people sometimes give up on iem's too soon because they simply have not found the proper tips for both fit and sound.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #4,008 of 7,699
Quote:
 Thanks for the reply. Yes, mine sound to good to be fake.
Toxic cables are my first priority. The only thing, they don't have memory wire and I got used to it with w4 cable.

Yes, unfortunately i don't currently offer memory wire, sorry about that.

Just shipped out a batch of IE80/8 cables today, few more going out this week, so those with orders will receive them soon.

Also available with my new custom made Y splitter, shown here on another cable.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #4,009 of 7,699
If you still have trouble after trying all the stock tips, you may need to look at other non-stock tips.

From my own experience, the tri-flange stock tips for the EPH-100 work great on the IE80. Not only the fit is good for me, but it really brings the best balanced sound out of the IE80 without that mid humps. I forgot these eph100 tips after getting back my replacement pair from Sennheiser. Now with these tips back on, the IE80 is back to life.

Make sure the tips not only give you the good fit but also bring out the best balanced sound. I believe people sometimes give up on iem's too soon because they simply have not found the proper tips for both fit and sound.

Thanks for the thoughts, where can I find these tips though?

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #4,010 of 7,699
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts, where can I find these tips though?

Yeah Yamaha doesn't sell those tips. The only chance is you contact some of the EPH100 owners and see if you can get from them the tips they dont use.

You may also search thru the thread other alternative tips mentioned by others.

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #4,011 of 7,699
Half tempted to send these back to Amazon now. Even after purchasing some tips from eBay, I still can't find a nice fit.
I can't justify spending ridiculous amounts of money on something that doesn't even fit. So disappointed.

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #4,012 of 7,699
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately i don't currently offer memory wire, sorry about that.

Just shipped out a batch of IE80/8 cables today, few more going out this week, so those with orders will receive them soon.

Also available with my new custom made Y splitter, shown here on another cable.

How much are these?
Do they ship to Aus?
How do they sound compared to stock cables?
I'm on my 2nd IE80 cable and the jack is bad. sound will distort from left to right occassionally.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #4,013 of 7,699
Quote:
How much are these?
Do they ship to Aus?
How do they sound compared to stock cables?
I'm on my 2nd IE80 cable and the jack is bad. sound will distort from left to right occassionally.

If you search this thread for Toxic Cables, you will find some impressions on my Silver Poison, you can also check my appreciation thread, it's over 140 pages long, so you can use the search function, http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread

The Silver Poison costs £155 plus shipping, £5 UK and £12 international. The Silver Widow costs £210.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #4,014 of 7,699
Quote:
Yeah Yamaha doesn't sell those tips. The only chance is you contact some of the EPH100 owners and see if you can get from them the tips they dont use.

You may also search thru the thread other alternative tips mentioned by others.

Sorry to hear that. Without a proper seal, not only you can't get a good fit but also likely you won't get the best balanced sound from these IE80's. I have come to realize how sensitive these IE80's are to the seal/tips. The mid humps often mentioned on the IE80's do not exist with the EPH100 stock tips I am using yet its bass is still extended and punching.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #4,015 of 7,699
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Without a proper seal, not only you can't get a good fit but also likely you won't get the best balanced sound from these IE80's. I have come to realize how sensitive these IE80's are to the seal/tips. The mid humps often mentioned on the IE80's do not exist with the EPH100 stock tips I am using yet its bass is still extended and punching.

It's exactly this reason why I sold my pair a few months back. Shame though cause I loved the sound, and I really could use a portable headphone/iem for around the house.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4,016 of 7,699
Quote:

It's exactly this reason why I sold my pair a few months back. Shame though cause I loved the sound, and I really could use a portable headphone/iem for around the house.

Well you may want to try the IE800. The design for the fit appears totally different between the IE80 and IE800.

I actually like the appearance of the IE80 and I am proud of wearing it in public as my music blows.
wink_face.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #4,018 of 7,699
IE 80 for $250 for those who are interested at Canada Computers, add to cart to see price.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_1098&item_id=054047

I'm not sure if they will ship to U.S. and they are authorized dealer according to Sennheiser Canada website.

I had mine for two days (could not pass up the deal) as replacement for Hippo VB which died after I dropped them in toilet 
ph34r.gif

It's funny, because I was considering the older model IE8 when purchasing Hippo VB few years ago, I guess I was destined to own IE8/IE80.

Anyways, the sound is incredible, very smooth, good instrumental separation, and with nice impactful bass ...exactly what I was looking for in portable phone (I prefer neutral for home setup and bass heavy for portable 
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I'm using Sansa Clip+ with flac as source, now I'm curious about Studio V that seems to be popular on this site...gotta watch my wallet !

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4,019 of 7,699
hey ... one of my friend told me to use a 75ohm adapter to get the full potential of my iems and to reduce the treble brightness.....  is it true??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back