Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #3,421 of 7,699
Quote:
What who pays that much for a cable...smh

Obviously not you. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #3,424 of 7,699
Quote:
Maybe its me, but I went from the SE425 to these and I felt like it was a downgrade. That middish bass hump just ruins everything for me. Kinda at a loss as to what to buy now.

Here is my suggestions:

1. Patience and allow time for brainwash by the new IEM's.
2. Try different tips
3. Play around with EQ's

If non of the above work for you, then it is indeed a downgrade and you should move to next candidate. The EX1000 is a damn good candidate in the same price range.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #3,428 of 7,699
Hi All

Just letting you know that i have the Toxic Cables Silver Poison on my IE80s  and i can assure you that the difference in sound is easily discernible. It is improved in all areas, bass mid, and treble. There is NO snake oil here. These cables are not as expensive as the Piccolino and take this IEM up a notch or two in sound quality.

Also, just a general comment on the tape mod. I gave it a try and immediately took it off. It certainly gives the impression of more detail but that is because the lower midrange and upper bass become recessed. To my ears the mod does not make the IE80 more neutral as i have seen commented. The bass becomes anemic and that is not neutral.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,429 of 7,699
Quote:
Hi All

Just letting you know that i have the Toxic Cables Silver Poison on my IE80s  and i can assure you that the difference in sound is easily discernible. It is improved in all areas, bass mid, and treble. There is NO snake oil here. These cables are not as expensive as the Piccolino and take this IEM up a notch or two in sound quality.

Also, just a general comment on the tape mod. I gave it a try and immediately took it off. It certainly gives the impression of more detail but that is because the lower midrange and upper bass become recessed. To my ears the mod does not make the IE80 more neutral as i have seen commented. The bass becomes anemic and that is not neutral.

This is mostly how I heard the tape mod also...

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #3,431 of 7,699
It took me a few days to finish the whole thread, and read quite a bit on this tape mod thing. But I still don't understand how and where you put the tape on. Somehow I just can't find the pictures you guys referred to to show where exactly the tapes are put on. 

Anyone can help me pointing to the pics so I'd have better understanding on this mod thing? My IE80 will be here next week, I might try the tape mod just for fun. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3,433 of 7,699
For those of you who don't like the tape mod, try puncturing a hole in the tape with a thumb tack before you apply it to the IE80. Make sure hole in the tape lines up with the center of the bass dial. It brings out more bass but the mid bass is still controlled and doesn't overwhelm.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #3,434 of 7,699
Quote:
For those of you who don't like the tape mod, try puncturing a hole in the tape with a thumb tack before you apply it to the IE80. Make sure hole in the tape lines up with the center of the bass dial. It brings out more bass but the mid bass is still controlled and doesn't overwhelm.

Interesting! Might give that a try.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #3,435 of 7,699
Quote:
look about 12-13 pages back. Or something around that number.

Thanks. Looked back again and found photos from AlexRoma on page 209 and lee703's on page 213. I think I'd listen to them w/o any mod first and see how I like them. Pretty enjoy my current setup, but I do feel I can use a phone like IE80 in office (where I don't need perfect seal, for some easy listening background music).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back