Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #3,406 of 7,699
I'm actually more likely to get a good seal from these than the Hyrbids. The hybrids do have a smaller hole with more material covering that area but it ruins the sound IMO.  The material is somewhat similar to the Hybrids just I get a better fit with these.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #3,407 of 7,699
Quote:
Sorry I meant side by side comparison with stock large or sony hybrid. :p  Specially I was wondering if it was taller or shorter in comparison and whether or not the JVC tips are fatter at the top.  I think the Sony Hybrids are the same height as the stock but they have wider top which is why it actually lets me get a seal.  Thanks again!

So I was wondering what made you go for an IE80 over the UE900? :p

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,408 of 7,699
Quote:
Well shoot, I'm glad you pointed that out. I think I'll just order them through Amazon Germany for 278. That's a pretty damn good deal.

edit: done. ie80 are on their way from germany!

what a great deal! congrats on the buy

Quote:
Don't you guys get hit with tax on stuff coming in from abroad?

im also interested to see the customs/tax from germany
ive bought bunch of stuff from china but no extra fees yet

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #3,409 of 7,699
I'll probably check out jvc headphones at a department store going out of business this week and see if I can score one for cheap since I don't want to wait 2 weeks for it in the mail.

I got this over ue900 because of price and availability, if I actually bought it the right way it would have been 300 all in, and the ue on the other hand is 400 before taxes and isn't going to be available for another month or two. Plus all of my previous sets are bass heavy ones, so a somewhat neutral sounding ue900 is not not likely the droid i am looking for... However the cables do seem nice though

Fuzzyash if you are in Canada amazon charges you upfront with a import duty paid to the shipper on your behalf, so you are looking at normal tax rate for your province plus 10 bucks or so brokerage paid at time of checkout

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3,411 of 7,699
Quote:
Usually sellers from china put a low value on the package, might be why you have got away with it.

big spenda! 
biggrin.gif

edit: i saw what you posted before you edited 
wink_face.gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #3,412 of 7,699
Quote:
 big spenda! 
biggrin.gif

edit: i saw what you posted before you edited 
wink_face.gif

Everything i get from china is just parts, it's cheaper for me to buy directly from the manufacturer in China, then retailers here.

I had a call from DHL today for a £3,000 order of connectors, they wanted me to pay £8.46 in taxes. 
biggrin.gif

Same as when i send customers orders, i never declare the cable any more then £22, taxes all depends on what value the seller puts on the package when they send it.

As a side not, i will be announcing 2 new Silver IEM cables this weekend, the first will be the Piccolino by Crystal Cable, pictured below, and the second, a new stranded 7N OCC Silver of my own, both will be sold at a promotional price never seen before, quantity will be limited at these prices.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #3,414 of 7,699
Quote:
Maybe its me, but I went from the SE425 to these and I felt like it was a downgrade. That middish bass hump just ruins everything for me. Kinda at a loss as to what to buy now.

I think maybe you should try the "tape mod" or JVC tips, perhaps that will improve your sound quality. Also, keep the bass dial at the lowest setting. Perhaps some burn-in on those could help the sound as well?

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #3,415 of 7,699
Quote:
Everything i get from china is just parts, it's cheaper for me to buy directly from the manufacturer in China, then retailers here.

I had a call from DHL today for a £3,000 order of connectors, they wanted me to pay £8.46 in taxes. 
biggrin.gif

Same as when i send customers orders, i never declare the cable any more then £22, taxes all depends on what value the seller puts on the package when they send it.

As a side not, i will be announcing 2 new Silver IEM cables this weekend, the first will be the Piccolino by Crystal Cable, pictured below, and the second, a new stranded 7N OCC Silver of my own, both will be sold at a promotional price never seen before, quantity will be limited at these prices.

Oh so is that a Picolino for IE80. Looks very tempting. Let me know the cost :p.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3,416 of 7,699
I've followed Lee's advices and purchased the JVC gel tips and I'm quite disappointed... Because I've to take 10 mins to get a good seal (maybe I need to get used to...) but when I do, I find the sound a bit more refined, better bass control since the material is firmer than the silicone, and it brings the highs forward which gives the sound a fresh air. After 2 days trying to have a good seal and after getting upset I've tried the silicone double flange once again and wow, it's even more what I've just described there. Impactful bass but not exagerated, soft mids and the highs are shiny.
Maybe it should be a good deal for me to find better double flange ear tips.

And a silver cable from Toxic Cable will be mine soon... I will do a review for sure ! :)

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #3,418 of 7,699
Quote:
I've followed Lee's advices and purchased the JVC gel tips and I'm quite disappointed... Because I've to take 10 mins to get a good seal (maybe I need to get used to...) but when I do, I find the sound a bit more refined, better bass control since the material is firmer than the silicone, and it brings the highs forward which gives the sound a fresh air. After 2 days trying to have a good seal and after getting upset I've tried the silicone double flange once again and wow, it's even more what I've just described there. Impactful bass but not exagerated, soft mids and the highs are shiny.
Maybe it should be a good deal for me to find better double flange ear tips.

And a silver cable from Toxic Cable will be mine soon... I will do a review for sure ! :)

I tried the JVC tips also and they just didn't work for me. The thing to remember is that there no way for anyone to suggest a tip that will fit perfectly. While the JVC might offer a very nice complement to the sonic signature of the ie80, if it doesn't fit your ears then it won't mean anything. The comply tips are the only ones working for me right now, although I'm actively looking for other tips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back