Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jan 8, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #6,106 of 7,998
  @Sound Eq

Do you have some good magnifying glasses around? If so, you probably might be able to take a closer look at the Helmholtz resonator openings. It is rather unlikely that they are clogged though.

Magnifying glasses are sooo outdated, my friend!
wink.gif

These days everyone and his dog has a smartphone, and there are plenty of magnifier apps available for both IOS and Android.

Here's a quick pic of my IE800's vents (btw, untouched since I got them in 2012), shot with the free CozyMag app:

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #6,107 of 7,998

here are mine they look clean and mint as i barely even take them out the house, they are precious 

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #6,109 of 7,998
  I admit I may be not familiar with the modern military optic technologies), but how can device without magnifying lens or optical zoom give you anything but digital zoom?

Probably because high sensor resolution and close focus ability are sufficient?

I'm not a technology expert either, but just give it a try and you'll see it works (I actually own a magnifying glass too).

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6,111 of 7,998
  Did that and saw no improvement on taking an ordinary photo in max. supported resolution being zoomed in)

Maybe, but that wasn't my point, was it? My point was: if you have a smartphone, you need not go looking for a magnifying glass to inspect your IE800's vents.

To substitute the function of a magnifying glass, you need zoomed in live view and (preferrably) easy-to-operate lighting. If your photo app offers this, sure then just use the photo app.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #6,112 of 7,998
Anyone heard any updates on a possible update to this product?

Sennheiser has a 20% off coupon on their direct site for all their headphones and it seemed to work for the IE800's and all other headphones. A possible discount before things are updated?

How often do these discounts go on because I have never seen one. not sure if I should pull the trigger on IE800 for 630$ or wait.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #6,117 of 7,998
Funny…the negative points that have been brought up with ie800 are actually my preferences….
  • Detachable cables just create more points of contact and serve no purpose especially for higher end phones where purity of signal/electrical continuity is paramount IMHO, with cheaper phones I’ve no problem as people have a tendency to abuse them more.
  • Cable length is just about perfect for “me”, any longer is really excess and gets in the way.
  • Proprietary tips and barrel length are fundamental to overall performance, I’ve never been able to swap pads for any other headphones I’ve ever owned so why iems? (they should be cheaper to replace though and offer more options)
  • The case does an excellent job of protecting the earphones themselves and keeps the cable properly oriented and in place.

One point I do feel needs to be addressed is cable microphonics if one leaves the cable hanging loose, I usually have it looped once around my neck and to my dap in my shirt/jacket pocket and that solves the problem.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #6,118 of 7,998
  Anyone heard any updates on a possible update to this product?

Sennheiser has a 20% off coupon on their direct site for all their headphones and it seemed to work for the IE800's and all other headphones. A possible discount before things are updated?

How often do these discounts go on because I have never seen one. not sure if I should pull the trigger on IE800 for 630$ or wait.

I paid less than that from an authorized reseller.  If you've not looked into sonic electronix/buysonic I recommend you make your way over there.  I have a love/hate relationship, love the deals, hate how much I've blown on headphones because of it.  I picked up the IE800, Grado 325e, Audeze Sine and a few others from them.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #6,119 of 7,998
good point. I guess a reboot won't be happening for awhile.

Now you are learning the Way of Sennheiser Product Cycles, young padawan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back