Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 28, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #6,077 of 7,998
  Have to agree, one's better off just buying an extension.

If I were getting a recable done, I would only do it because of a physical issue with the cable.  Most likely up around the earpiece.  I would expect the earpiece to be opened and the whole shebang done.  To do it any other way  is like a virtual handjob, it virtually does nothing...   or it does virtually nothing, however you want to phrase it.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #6,078 of 7,998
  Owned the IE800s since 2014.  Have not had the urge to buy another set of iems.  If these for some reason break down on me (*knock on wood), I would buy another one in a heartbeat.  As far as IEMs go, this is my end-game. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Headphones though.. is a different story.  

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #6,079 of 7,998
Any news on these rumors on a possible IE 800 S?

I got the Shure SE846 a few days ago. Skipped the IE800 due to too many aspects I dislike (cables not removable, tips not easily replaceable, not over-the-ear, etc, the usual complaints). Still tempting, especially because I could get it a lot cheaper than the SE846.

The 846 are still well in the Amazon return window and while they are very good (especially midrange and bass) I'm just not blown away given the price. Excellent perfomance, mediocre overall value for money. I have another IEM set costing about 1/15 of it, and performing very close (although below in all areas, but not by a large margin)

So I have almost 900 EUR in a limbo on this one. If Sennheiser is coming out with a nice IEM soon, I'd rather return the SE846 and wait to see.

But it has to be a bigger jump than for instance the marginal improvement on the HD800>HD800S...

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #6,081 of 7,998
They could also
  I am also curious about the new IE800s. I used to IE800 before but that fits drive me crazy. Hope they'll release replaceable cable and universal tips. 

They could also change the naming. HD800/HD800S/HD800s was quite confusing in some threads, often ambiguous between new model or just plural of the old one. Why do the same mistake with the IE. :)

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #6,084 of 7,998
  Any news on these rumors on a possible IE 800 S?

I got the Shure SE846 a few days ago. Skipped the IE800 due to too many aspects I dislike (cables not removable, tips not easily replaceable, not over-the-ear, etc, the usual complaints). Still tempting, especially because I could get it a lot cheaper than the SE846.

The 846 are still well in the Amazon return window and while they are very good (especially midrange and bass) I'm just not blown away given the price. Excellent perfomance, mediocre overall value for money. I have another IEM set costing about 1/15 of it, and performing very close (although below in all areas, but not by a large margin)

So I have almost 900 EUR in a limbo on this one. If Sennheiser is coming out with a nice IEM soon, I'd rather return the SE846 and wait to see.

But it has to be a bigger jump than for instance the marginal improvement on the HD800>HD800S...

Just my opinion here.Keep the se846(do the blue filter mod) and buy a high end dap like QP1R,ZX2(used) or WM1A,it scales better than ie800 with a very good source.The thing with the se846 is that while technically proficient in the beginning it doesn't sound very exciting,especially the stock filter because it doesn't accentuate the highs for instant gratification or wow factor even though it is very smooth and detailed.In many aspects it is better than ie800 once coupled with a detailed source so first buy a good dap and then you can decide whether you want to keep it or buy another high end iem like Andromeda(obvious choice here).

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #6,085 of 7,998
B
Just my opinion here.Keep the se846(do the blue filter mod) and buy a high end dap like QP1R,ZX2(used) or WM1A,it scales better than ie800 with a very good source.The thing with the se846 is that while technically proficient in the beginning it doesn't sound very exciting,especially the stock filter because it doesn't accentuate the highs for instant gratification or wow factor even though it is very smooth and detailed.In many aspects it is better than ie800 once coupled with a detailed source so first buy a good dap and then you can decide whether you want to keep it or buy another high end iem like Andromeda(obvious choice here).

Couldn't agree more with this. My blue-modded 846 had slipped down the pecking order with my IBasso/Mojo and Fiio/Hugo stacks, but couple with the more direct, lively Questyle it's a great match in all departments. Ie800s with exciting treble are nicely suited to the Chords, seems like the early days of hifi, system matching plays a big part.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #6,086 of 7,998

I really hope this is true. I have yet to buy the ie800's due to the fact that the cable is quite short and not also very sure why the cables werent replaceable. 

Will hold out and hope this is the case and I would be all over the new ie800's 

I was so impressed with the ie800's and that says a lot because when I heard them I had just finished listening to the HE-1's at their store in SoHo.

The clarity on that is obviously unmatched as well as the speed and sound stage of the HE-1's but after testing the ie800's right after I instantly fell in love with the sound signature and didn't know that I needed them and wanted them bad. HE-1's were pretty amazing but not something I think I would ever own or purchase. They were one of the best sounding headphones I had heard but not at all very fun. The IE800's have this snap and pop about them that I didn't experience with other headphones that I currently own.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,087 of 7,998
can you guys show a close up of how the vents look like with very close focus

and do they need to cleaned or not

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #6,089 of 7,998

Users who are viewing this thread

Back