Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 23, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #4,771 of 7,990
No love for the ie800 in its own channel...

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #4,774 of 7,990
I have a question that perhaps is apples vs. oranges but I was wondering if anyone has both the HD800 and IE800?  Is there a point to having both of them in terms of sound?  I am not very familiar with in-ear devices, having always used headphones. My question about the IE800 is not about portability as I would be transporting them anywhere. Instead, I am wondering from a pure sound standpoint what the differences are between the two and whether it would be worthwhile to own both (ignoring the fact that both are expensive).  Thanks!

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #4,775 of 7,990
  I have a question that perhaps is apples vs. oranges but I was wondering if anyone has both the HD800 and IE800?  Is there a point to having both of them in terms of sound?  I am not very familiar with in-ear devices, having always used headphones. My question about the IE800 is not about portability as I would be transporting them anywhere. Instead, I am wondering from a pure sound standpoint what the differences are between the two and whether it would be worthwhile to own both (ignoring the fact that both are expensive).  Thanks!

apparently they sound just like the HD700, i havent heard them so i cant say if i think this is true or not.

but i did have the HD650 and i liked them more than IE800. the Hd650 have something magical going on inside them.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #4,776 of 7,990

What do you mean by this?

ie800 have been getting disliked lately. I however, love them.

Again, different iems for different tastes.

Yes, they are different. I find IE800 to be less bright and you will not have the soundstage of HD800, so the music sounds more intimate.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #4,777 of 7,990
No love for the ie800 in its own channel...

I feel IE800 is kinda showing its age considering how the last 2-3 years have been quite an advancement in personal audio. It is an excellent IEM but the fit and comfort is kinda wonky for a lot of people (not me) and the fact if we want to get TRRS or balanced connection the IEM needs to be cut or else, buy that one from ALO audio for $1050. Also I feel that when I balanced it, sure the SQ is improved but the imaging got too flat for my taste.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #4,778 of 7,990
Not so sure about the age, I have tried many other IEMs and really find difficult to find a suitable upgrade from the ie800. Tried some Angie's last month and really no comparison to the ie800. Also briefly listened to some Laylas and they didn't wow me.

I believe sometime people just feel the need to upgrade, thinking that the.newest will be better, but not always the case IMHO

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #4,779 of 7,990
For me, I suspect that the next upgrade past IE800 would have to be custom, and even then I'm quite apprehensive about going that route due to how impressed I am with the IE800. Maybe to get the impressions out of the way I should get the custom tips for my Ety HF5.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #4,780 of 7,990
The new JH line up was quite disappointing in my opinion, my group of friends from Indonesia said the same thing when I came back from SG CanJam. I tried 64 Audio and I just can't get on with loads of BA design, tried hybrid from UM and some other brands, it feels like the dynamic driver is half-baked and I ended up going with a single dynamic driver IEM again.

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #4,781 of 7,990

apparently they sound just like the HD700, i havent heard them so i cant say if i think this is true or not.

but i did have the HD650 and i liked them more than IE800. the Hd650 have something magical going on inside them.

Thanks. I just got the HD800's a few days ago but so far so good. I love my HD650's but feel the HD800's are better although it depends on the recording. I'm just wondering if the IE800 experience would be different enough to be worthwhile considering I already have those two headphones I mentioned.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #4,782 of 7,990

I feel IE800 is kinda showing its age considering how the last 2-3 years have been quite an advancement in personal audio. It is an excellent IEM but the fit and comfort is kinda wonky for a lot of people (not me) and the fact if we want to get TRRS or balanced connection the IEM needs to be cut or else, buy that one from ALO audio for $1050. Also I feel that when I balanced it, sure the SQ is improved but the imaging got too flat for my taste.

Not so sure about the age, I have tried many other IEMs and really find difficult to find a suitable upgrade from the ie800. Tried some Angie's last month and really no comparison to the ie800. Also briefly listened to some Laylas and they didn't wow me.

I believe sometime people just feel the need to upgrade, thinking that the.newest will be better, but not always the case IMHO

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

For me, I suspect that the next upgrade past IE800 would have to be custom, and even then I'm quite apprehensive about going that route due to how impressed I am with the IE800. Maybe to get the impressions out of the way I should get the custom tips for my Ety HF5.

Yeah I have not lately been trying the latest IEMs or customs, but I think the IE800 will last me quite some time.

It is one of the top tier IEM before and I would not be surprised if it continue to remain that way.

Although there might be new ones that are better, I sometimes wonder how "much" better it is.

I think I've reached to a point where, the resolution and signature is what I like that I can start enjoying the music rather than thinking about what is better out there.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #4,783 of 7,990
  The new JH line up was quite disappointing in my opinion, my group of friends from Indonesia said the same thing when I came back from SG CanJam. I tried 64 Audio and I just can't get on with loads of BA design, tried hybrid from UM and some other brands, it feels like the dynamic driver is half-baked and I ended up going with a single dynamic driver IEM again.

I totally agree I have owned JH Layla, Westone 5 custom, Westone 4, listened to the new 64 Audio Adele lineup.  I tried IE 800 and they were nice but had too much sub bass and just didn't grab me like RE 400 - I really like ruler flat monitor style low distortion sound.  For most people I think the uber separation and apparent detail/speed of multi BA will be more impressive (they will not hear multi BA shortcomings).  The mids highs are nice and natural sounding, but the sub bass is very boosted.  The sound is also not quite squeeky clean as there is bit of warmth.  I think this is the problem IE 800 is facing.  It's sort of non-committal - not really monitor sound, not really flashy BA sound.  It's sort of for someone who wants naturalness of dynamic but with some warmth to decay and lots of sub bass.

But yeah if you know what you are listening for multi BA IEM's I have heard still have shortcomings and just getting more expensive to improve in sound.  They are needing like 10-12 drivers to get the dynamic ability of good dynamic IEM.  Most still have this airy ethereal sound (but excel in separation, speed and sometimes imaging and soundstage).  They still sound like BA IEM - they don't sound real or coherent or convincing in timbre.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #4,784 of 7,990
anyone need some spare ear tips?
check here!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322016660836?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #4,785 of 7,990

You might like ie800 better.You should demo both before buying. They do not sound alike very much. Rather, ie800 is a really energic, sweet mids, lots of bass IEM. HD800 is a nutral-ish in every aspect very serious headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back