Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 24, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #4,786 of 7,998

apparently they sound just like the HD700, i havent heard them so i cant say if i think this is true or not.

but i did have the HD650 and i liked them more than IE800. the Hd650 have something magical going on inside them.

Yeah, man. 

Mids. HD650 have another tonality of mids. 

But it will be up to personal tastes, as I actually like mids of ie800 more than the mids of hd650.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #4,787 of 7,998

I totally agree I have owned JH Layla, Westone 5 custom, Westone 4, listened to the new 64 Audio Adele lineup.  I tried IE 800 and they were nice but had too much sub bass and just didn't grab me like RE 400 - I really like ruler flat monitor style low distortion sound.  For most people I think the uber separation and apparent detail/speed of multi BA will be more impressive (they will not hear multi BA shortcomings).  The mids highs are nice and natural sounding, but the sub bass is very boosted.  The sound is also not quite squeeky clean as there is bit of warmth.  I think this is the problem IE 800 is facing.  It's sort of non-committal - not really monitor sound, not really flashy BA sound.  It's sort of for someone who wants naturalness of dynamic but with some warmth to decay and lots of sub bass.

But yeah if you know what you are listening for multi BA IEM's I have heard still have shortcomings and just getting more expensive to improve in sound.  They are needing like 10-12 drivers to get the dynamic ability of good dynamic IEM.  Most still have this airy ethereal sound (but excel in separation, speed and sometimes imaging and soundstage).  They still sound like BA IEM - they don't sound real or coherent or convincing in timbre.

I pretty much agree with that, having come full circle from dynamics to multi BAs and back again. I think the IE800 are still technically excellent IEMs, as long as you're into their kind of sound signature. However, there's fierce competition from a plethora of conventional dynamic and microdriver based IEMs that offer competitive sound quality for less money, and those who're looking for convincing realistic timbre aren't likely to end up with the IE800 either. Jm2c.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #4,788 of 7,998
In da house.....:D

My game (€€€) ends here for next years.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #4,789 of 7,998
Another question for you IE800 owners... if I got one it would be mainly for home use, with an amp. According to the specs I saw, the cord isn't that long.  Would a normal 3.5mm extension cord suffice or is something special needed?  Looks like I would just need a regular extension that fits the IE800 plug. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,790 of 7,998
  Another question for you IE800 owners... if I got one it would be mainly for home use, with an amp. According to the specs I saw, the cord isn't that long.  Would a normal 3.5mm extension cord suffice or is something special needed?  Looks like I would just need a regular extension that fits the IE800 plug. 

I don't have them on me but are fairly sure the extension cable is 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male - surely that wouldn't be to difficult to source, construct, or commission.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #4,791 of 7,998

I don't have them on me but are fairly sure the extension cable is 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male - surely that wouldn't be to difficult to source, construct, or commission.

You're right, the plug from the Y connector is 2.5mm.  And you're right, extension cables 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male are available. I just wondered if anything special was needed, which it sounds like it really isn't as long as the cable has the right connectors. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4,792 of 7,998
  You're right, the plug from the Y connector is 2.5mm.  And you're right, extension cables 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male are available. I just wondered if anything special was needed, which it sounds like it really isn't as long as the cable has the right connectors. 

Nope. Controversial, but you might want to invest in some good connectors and speaker wire if you're making an exceptionally long cable. However, at the length of cable required to really hear a difference, I'd doubt you'd want earbuds for that application.

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #4,793 of 7,998
Hi All,

I just join the club by buying second hand IE800 first batch (2 years old now). First I hear this IE800 is very very different with I heard at Singapore Canjam last weekend.

The 2 years old sound less bass in quantity but more tight, mids more forward and thick. The only minus is the cable near housing is getting stiff (is that a way to make it lithe again?)

The demo unit I tested at canjam feel likes to much boom bass, very laid back mids, and more "s".

Is that really big different between first batch and newest batch? or just my placebo :D

Thanks All!

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #4,795 of 7,998
  Hi All,

I just join the club by buying second hand IE800 first batch (2 years old now). First I hear this IE800 is very very different with I heard at Singapore Canjam last weekend.

The 2 years old sound less bass in quantity but more tight, mids more forward and thick. The only minus is the cable near housing is getting stiff (is that a way to make it lithe again?)

The demo unit I tested at canjam feel likes to much boom bass, very laid back mids, and more "s".

Is that really big different between first batch and newest batch? or just my placebo :D

Thanks All!

What you describe might be due to poor fit and seal. 

Late batches will have a similar sound to very early units. 

But you have to make sure you get your best seal. For example. I get way too much S  and sibilance, and way too much bass if I am using poor fit, and pushing Ie800 too deep inside my ears, or over-pressurize them. On the other hand, when I use the big round tips, I get the best seal, best sound and everything sounds more than fine. 

Also, you could try to send back to Sennheiser to check if you suspect anything. They should change the cable too, for a small fee, if you talk to them in advance. They are great when it comes to customer service, and even if you are out of warranty, I think they would repair stiff cables for a small fee. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #4,796 of 7,998
How confident are you that both of your IE800's are genuine?
There are a depressing number of fake IE800's around and the differences you hear could be a symptom of one being a fake?

They've got to be authentic—the cable is hardening!
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #4,797 of 7,998
I'm very susceptible to off key treble, and that is in part to, and oddly now because of the IE800, they opened my ears as to what treble could sound like on an IEM, but sadly time marches on, and for me there is gear both more expensive, and more cost effective that does a better job..

That isn't to dismiss the IE800 outright though, that prize goes to the Sony MDR-EX1000, no redeeming features whatsoever for the original outlay...

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #4,798 of 7,998
I'm very susceptible to off key treble, and that is in part to, and oddly now because of the IE800, they opened my ears as to what treble could sound like on an IEM, but sadly time marches on, and for me there is gear both more expensive, and more cost effective that does a better job..

i have to agree with this, they need to drop the price of this and the ie80 because others are doing it better for less imo.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #4,799 of 7,998
Thats the beauty.  You have other choices.  Until IE800 sales suffer I wouldn't expect to see any price cuts.  There is a lot of personal preference going on but IE800  EASILY commands a $1000 price having owned SE846 and W60...among others.  IMHO IE800 has treble and soundstage that is insanely superior to other $1000 IEM's

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #4,800 of 7,998
What you describe might be due to poor fit and seal. 

Late batches will have a similar sound to very early units. 

But you have to make sure you get your best seal. For example. I get way too much S  and sibilance, and way too much bass if I am using poor fit, and pushing Ie800 too deep inside my ears, or over-pressurize them. On the other hand, when I use the big round tips, I get the best seal, best sound and everything sounds more than fine. 

Also, you could try to send back to Sennheiser to check if you suspect anything. They should change the cable too, for a small fee, if you talk to them in advance. They are great when it comes to customer service, and even if you are out of warranty, I think they would repair stiff cables for a small fee. 

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply, I will see some friend that hqve ie800 and do comparison for sure :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back