Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 21, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #4,757 of 7,998
At least RHA are less expensive.. I highly doubt any significantly cheaper IEM will sound in the same league ever. 

Enjoy your ultra toy!
never say never!

I like what Sony has done with their Z5 cellphone and the NC500 IEMs, the combination can listen to your surroundings and adjust EQ dynamically so that it always sounds at its best...

The base level EX750 that the NC750 is based on sounds quite poor, and I would never mention them in the same sentence as the IE800, but goes to show what DSP can do in 2015/16...

The NC750 to me sounds substantially better than the IE800, and is chewing on the cable of my Layla's, scary when you think of the cost differential.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #4,758 of 7,998

I highly doubt any significantly cheaper IEM will sound in the same league ever. 

People lose their minds when they get a great deal. People are willing to overlook just about anything if makes them feel like they're brilliant for having found some sort of game-changing bargain.

Case in point: Xiaomi Piston 2s. $30 IEMs that sound like $75 IEMs. Piston owners insist they actually sound like $150 IEMs. I've seen a few go on other $150 IEM threads and ask how they compare to the Pistons... never to buy this new IEM, but to see if the Pistons are actually better so they can brag about how amazing they are for buying $30 IEMs.

Naturally, we each have our own tastes, so we may prefer the sound of a cheaper unit (I use NAD VISO HP50s around the office instead of IE800s for example) - but if anyone finds an IEM with a comparable amount of clarity, resolution, dynamics and separation for significantly less than the IE800, let me know.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #4,759 of 7,998
While I like the pistons quite a bit, the hype was awfully strong when it came around.  Ultimately, I stopped using them nearly as much once I got the VSonic VSD3, as I much prefer it's tonal balance.  It's still a fun little IEM that hits above it's price, but I wouldn't go as far as some have speaking it's glory.

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #4,760 of 7,998
(if anyone is interested on how Sennheiser will answer to customers problems with ie800!)

It has been a long time since I sent my ie800 to senn headquarters because of hardened cables. It seems that they received it only very recent (on 17.02). 

They told me that they will look into them and send it back when they are finished. 

As always, they have great customer service, and it was a pleasure talking with them, I hope I will get a new pair back soon. 

While I like the pistons quite a bit, the hype was awfully strong when it came around.  Ultimately, I stopped using them nearly as much once I got the VSonic VSD3, as I much prefer it's tonal balance.  It's still a fun little IEM that hits above it's price, but I wouldn't go as far as some have speaking it's glory.

People lose their minds when they get a great deal. People are willing to overlook just about anything if makes them feel like they're brilliant for having found some sort of game-changing bargain.

Case in point: Xiaomi Piston 2s. $30 IEMs that sound like $75 IEMs. Piston owners insist they actually sound like $150 IEMs. I've seen a few go on other $150 IEM threads and ask how they compare to the Pistons... never to buy this new IEM, but to see if the Pistons are actually better so they can brag about how amazing they are for buying $30 IEMs.

Naturally, we each have our own tastes, so we may prefer the sound of a cheaper unit (I use NAD VISO HP50s around the office instead of IE800s for example) - but if anyone finds an IEM with a comparable amount of clarity, resolution, dynamics and separation for significantly less than the IE800, let me know.

As always, someone should not expect to be able to pay 50$ or 150$ or 450$ and receive a 700$ item. But I am sure that for those prices, some brands have made very very good IEMs, that have a high grade of quality. I am also sure that some of lower end IEMs would satisfy some people, but for me too, anything that was under ie800 did not cut the mustard. They were simply inferior. Ie800 is like a culmination of sound, and it's characteristics are always amazing. At least, this is how it is for me, keeping in mind that I also love it's sonic signature, not only sonic characteristics. I love that treble and details, it's great bass, and sweet mids. Almost like a high end grado done right, or an HD800S with high end grado mids and more bass. Something among those lines. 

never say never!

I like what Sony has done with their Z5 cellphone and the NC500 IEMs, the combination can listen to your surroundings and adjust EQ dynamically so that it always sounds at its best...

The base level EX750 that the NC750 is based on sounds quite poor, and I would never mention them in the same sentence as the IE800, but goes to show what DSP can do in 2015/16...

The NC750 to me sounds substantially better than the IE800, and is chewing on the cable of my Layla's, scary when you think of the cost differential.

Actually, as of late, my project is getting speed-ups because of more free time and better understanding of DSPs, so I must say the following. I can make an ultrasone signature dj (they were under 250$ at their best) sound like an ie800 subjectively through heavy DSP-ing and heavy processing, including GPU based complex algorithms, but as I do not have my ie800 on hand at the moment, I am only imagining what I will be able to tweak ie800 to after I get it back.  

DSP is clearly the way to go for future with audiophile products, as most transducers will start hitting walls of sorts soon, but integrated circuits are only getting better and better at what they do, and so do DACs and micro AMPs. 

I totally agree with you that a mid end IEM with very high grade DSP will come very close to a ultra-high end IEM (or TOTL).

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #4,761 of 7,998
Hi guys

Deciding between the JVC HA-FX1100 / 850 or the IE800. Just a little concern about the cable stiffening issues. Assuming that the 2 year warranty period is over and the cable starts to stiffen, will this affect sound quality or just ergonomics? 

If it's the latter I can live with that. Would really appreciate some insight from existing IE800 owners. Thank you!

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #4,762 of 7,998
My current IEM is the Shure 535s. Have had them for about 4 years. No issues with the stock cable or the IEMs - in terms of stiffening or breaking. I hope the same can be said of the IE800s? Reading through this thread it seems there have been many with cable issues. Has this has been remedied?

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #4,763 of 7,998
  Hi guys

Deciding between the JVC HA-FX1100 / 850 or the IE800. Just a little concern about the cable stiffening issues. Assuming that the 2 year warranty period is over and the cable starts to stiffen, will this affect sound quality or just ergonomics? 

If it's the latter I can live with that. Would really appreciate some insight from existing IE800 owners. Thank you!

A stiffened cable may affect fit, and as a result sound quality. Basically, it's like a long stiff lever on a tiny earpiece, so any kind of movement can change the fit and seal.

As for the FX1100 / 850, they're A LOT larger than the IE800, so ergonomics should be a criterion for your decision. If you have rather small ears / use small tips, I personally wouldn't recommend the JVCs.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #4,764 of 7,998

A stiffened cable may affect fit, and as a result sound quality. Basically, it's like a long stiff lever on a tiny earpiece, so any kind of movement can change the fit and seal.

As for the FX1100 / 850, they're A LOT larger than the IE800, so ergonomics should be a criterion for your decision. If you have rather small ears / use small tips, I personally wouldn't recommend the JVCs.

Thanks for the reply James. So a stiff cable would only be detriment to sound quality if I move around a lot wouldn't it? I plan to use the IE800s for stationary listening, with the SE535s for when I'm out walking, etc. One of the main reasons I'm considering the IE800 (besides sound quality) is the comfort factor. It looks really comfortable and easy to put on as opposed to my current Shure 535s. 

I am using the small factory foam tips for my SE535. So I guess my ears can be considered small? Also, since the FX1100 / 850 are relatively large, I'm a little concerned that they may not be so comfortable for long term listening (as ideally I would prefer not to use over-the-ear for those). 

I live in New Zealand and will be able to purchase the IE800s for around $800, the FX1100s for $515 and the FX850s for about $400-415. I listen to a lot of pop music. 

In light of these circumstances, would you recommend the IE800 then?

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #4,765 of 7,998

Thanks for the reply James. So a stiff cable would only be detriment to sound quality if I move around a lot wouldn't it? I plan to use the IE800s for stationary listening, with the SE535s for when I'm out walking, etc. One of the main reasons I'm considering the IE800 (besides sound quality) is the comfort factor. It looks really comfortable and easy to put on as opposed to my current Shure 535s. 

I am using the small factory foam tips for my SE535. So I guess my ears can be considered small? Also, since the FX1100 / 850 are relatively large, I'm a little concerned that they may not be so comfortable for long term listening (as ideally I would prefer not to use over-the-ear for those). 

I live in New Zealand and will be able to purchase the IE800s for around $800, the FX1100s for $515 and the FX850s for about $400-415. I listen to a lot of pop music. 

In light of these circumstances, would you recommend the IE800 then?

Let's just say there's no electrical reason why a stiffened cable would sound worse, so if you're just going to use them stationary you should be fine.

If you use small tips and want to wear them downwards, I don't think you'll be happy with the JVCs. They stick out and are quite heavy, so your concerns about comfort are warranted.

Personally, I don't think the IE800 are worth $800.
ph34r.gif
 But considering your circumstances, if it's just between these, I'd still recommend the Senns over the JVCs.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #4,766 of 7,998

Let's just say there's no electrical reason why a stiffened cable would sound worse, so if you're just going to use them stationary you should be fine.

If you use small tips and want to wear them downwards, I don't think you'll be happy with the JVCs. They stick out and are quite heavy, so your concerns about comfort are warranted.

Personally, I don't think the IE800 are worth $800.
ph34r.gif
 But considering your circumstances, if it's just between these, I'd still recommend the Senns over the JVCs.

TBH I'm quite hesitant to shell out $800 on the IE800s as well. I'm looking for an upgrade on my SE535. My home rig is a recabled HE-500 and a Burson Conductor. Looking for a good dynamic IEM as I quite like the smoothness that a dynamic driver brings. 

Do you have any recommendations? Have considered the DUNU 2000J but not sure how it stacks up against the IE800, and besides it's a hybrid.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #4,767 of 7,998

TBH I'm quite hesitant to shell out $800 on the IE800s as well. I'm looking for an upgrade on my SE535. My home rig is a recabled HE-500 and a Burson Conductor. Looking for a good dynamic IEM as I quite like the smoothness that a dynamic driver brings. 

Do you have any recommendations? Have considered the DUNU 2000J but not sure how it stacks up against the IE800, and besides it's a hybrid.

The 2000J are detail / resolution overachievers, but at the cost of treble smoothness. They're also potentially uncomfy for small ears. The Titan 1 are dynamic drivers and likely comfier too. Don't be fooled by the low price tag, these are some of the best measuring IEMs out there. Still not overly smooth though, due to titanium coating and detail-oriented tuning. Sadly, I haven't heard the HE-500, so I actually have no idea how your reference sounds.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #4,769 of 7,998

I just went from IE800 to T8ie, it takes some adjustment but give it a slight burning time, it really feels like improved IE800 with more body and same level of detail retrieval (albeit a bit veiled because of the more bassy nature) it also feels really natural and non-fatiguing surprisingly, staging also feels more 3D and slight bit wider. When I wear IE800 for an hour, I feel as if my eardrums are exhausted but not with AK T8ie. It is a bit more expensive ($1000) but for the SQ improvement, ergonomic and comfort I think it's worth it. The vocals and the stage might be a bit pulled back compared to the more agressive IE800.

The use case was on DP-X1 balanced ACG/BAL mode.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #4,770 of 7,998

Much like you, I wasn't quite willing to fork over that kind of cash for the IE800. Which is why I used SonicElectronix. Named my own price and got it for substantially less than MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back