Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,221 of 7,998
The jhaudio case is the best I've seen, other than an otter box or pelican case with padding inside.

Okay, ie800 questions for everybody who owns one!

1. Is there a mod to thicken the treble? A filter, something, anything to make the treble less thin? (see also question #2).

2. Have people been playing with the two vents? One vent (the top one if the iem is cable down) effects the bass, have people been blocking or limiting that (tape with a tiny hole in it is a common mod for dynamic drivers, c.f. the sony xba-h3)
The other vent (the bottom one, if the iem is cable down) is the one that equalizes pressure. This one maybe is related to treble in terms of reducing insertion resonance peaks?

What do you find when you limit each vent in turn? Or when you block one and then the other off entirely?

Thanks!

I had these for two months. The thin treble got to me, but I keep thinking I should try them again.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #2,222 of 7,998
   short and noisy cable +1. Fortunately I do not move while listening to music. The case is dumb+1. I bought $1 hard cases for it. And I found cases for IE800 is still better than cases for K3003. 846 cases is the best.

The 846 definitely has the best case that's actually useful and protective .. and looks nice. I tend to use my IE800 at my desk and in bed so I really don't have issues with cable noise either ... I only went out with them a few times just to try but found the IM70 and now the 846 just much less fiddly to take out and these don't need a shirt clip and no fiddling with fit at all. Where as the Ie800, I have to have the right length on top of the shirt clip and that big connector is just so in the wrong place it's not funny ... it can be overcome with adjustment of where you clip the thing but it's just not well designed. Seems like they just used random length without getting people to try it. It's y-spitter is too short in the first place and then the connector is too big and heavy which sometimes drag your iems out ... then the cable after that is just too short too by a little. 

After a while these negatives are not really noticeable anymore ... they are comfortable and I enjoy music out of them very much.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #2,223 of 7,998

I had these for two months. The thin treble got to me, but I keep thinking I should try them again.

at first I found the IE800 a bit thin everywhere but I now use the bigger tips to get a better seal and it has really good bass and makes it overall less thin. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #2,224 of 7,998
  The jhaudio case is the best I've seen, other than an otter box or pelican case with padding inside.

Okay, ie800 questions for everybody who owns one!

1. Is there a mod to thicken the treble? A filter, something, anything to make the treble less thin? (see also question #2).

2. Have people been playing with the two vents? One vent (the top one if the iem is cable down) effects the bass, have people been blocking or limiting that (tape with a tiny hole in it is a common mod for dynamic drivers, c.f. the sony xba-h3)
The other vent (the bottom one, if the iem is cable down) is the one that equalizes pressure. This one maybe is related to treble in terms of reducing insertion resonance peaks?

What do you find when you limit each vent in turn? Or when you block one and then the other off entirely?

Thanks!

Adding a thin layer of damping (alcoholic swab, microfiber cloth) mitigates the problem somewhat.

Jm2c, I'd rather get a few pairs of Zero Audio Tenores and mod those than try to mod the IE800. The former are close enough in sound quality, but much cheaper, more ergonomic and pretty easy to mod.

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #2,225 of 7,998
Not trying to get sidetracked here, but I have recently brieftly demo'ed the Tenore and while it sounded really good for the price, it didn't sound like a giant killer to me. I found it to be, well, a bit too flat sounding and perhaps lackluster for a lack of a better word. In fact, I much preferred the Ostry KC06A to it. Or perhaps I've been spoiled too much lately by the JH13's PraT so that anything with a bit more neutrality than it would come of as being a bit bland to me.

Just my 423.70 dong of course 
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #2,229 of 7,998
Found out that Jabra Rox tips are compatible with the IE800, even with deep and tight insertion they don't fall of and stay stuck in the ear (unlike Comply T500 and other stuff i tried), so it can be a real alternative.

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #2,230 of 7,998
Thing is, wow factor is very very subjective. Some here will wildely disagree with your IE800 vs. Tenore wow factor assessment.

Fair enough. Let us agree to disagree, though I fully understand that for some folks, the Tenore's wow factor might just be the fact that it has no wow factor at all. My 2 cents have always been there, you know :)

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #2,231 of 7,998
Found out that Jabra Rox tips are compatible with the IE800, even with deep and tight insertion they don't fall of and stay stuck in the ear (unlike Comply T500 and other stuff i tried), so it can be a real alternative.

This is nice to know for those with fit issues ...and the Comply T500 does not come off nor get stuck in ear ...if one follows the mod I posted sometime ago because it uses the existing hub and locking mechanism of the 800s.....☺️

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2,232 of 7,998
Does anyone know how many digits for the serial no,  the current batches have?  The retailer who where I sent mine back said that they have 1 unit with 123xxxxxxx digits (10 digits). Does anyone know if thats part of the new batch? Thanks 

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #2,233 of 7,998
  Does anyone know how many digits for the serial no,  the current batches have?  The retailer who where I sent mine back said that they have 1 unit with 123xxxxxxx digits (10 digits). Does anyone know if thats part of the new batch? Thanks 

I think the 10 digit number refers to the ID number on the box.  There is also a 5 digit s/n on the leather case.   The ID number is on the authentication decal on the box.   I think the purpose of that is to make it easier to distinguish between authentic and counterfeit products.   When i returned mine to Sennheiser directly, they accepted my 5 digit serial number.   The new one i got back also had a 10 digit ID on the box and 5 digit S/N in the leather case.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #2,234 of 7,998

I think the 10 digit number refers to the ID number on the box.  There is also a 5 digit s/n on the leather case.   The ID number is on the authentication decal on the box.   I think the purpose of that is to make it easier to distinguish between authentic and counterfeit products.   When i returned mine to Sennheiser directly, they accepted my 5 digit serial number.   The new one i got back also had a 10 digit ID on the box and 5 digit S/N in the leather case.

The last 5 digits of the 10 digit id number on the box is your serial number. I just went through this with my recently replaced ie800. If you check your case and check the box, they should match. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,235 of 7,998
So I collected my ie800s today from my local HiFi store - yep, I bought bricks and mortar!  Anyhow, I'm having a nightmare of a time with the supplied tips for isolation.  I'm getting zero bass from anything other than the medium tips supplied and even then it's extremely weak. For reference, my Klipsch x10is have a much deeper bass line - but then they insert much deeper so I get a great seal.  I'm not sure where this will end up but I'm beginning to get bothered by the fact that none of my stock of tips from Shure, UE, Klipsch, Sony will get me out of a hole here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back