Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,252 of 7,998
I rank the treble of ie800 on the same level as the bass A-.It's the treble of a high end iem,well extended but also hyper detailed.That means that it will pick problems with anything less than lossless files,sometimes even mp3320kbps.I heard the same song on mp3  and the treble was indeed piercing and caused fatique.On 16bit flac it was perfect,all the detail with none of the shrillness.That doesn't apply to all mp3s mind you,so you can enjoy mp3(320) with ie800 but in my opinion the best compromise between quality and space is lossless 16bit-44khz if you wanna hear what ie800 can do.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #2,253 of 7,998
I find the treble is a maybe a little thin. It has almost an ethereal quality to it that makes it very easy on the ear but not rolled off easy. It's as loud and forward as my hd800 but has less texture and therefore can be a little easier and more pleasant. I never find it fatiguing but maybe just a bit polite sometimes . But then again sometimes the hd800 is a bit to transparent and just let's you hear it as it should be and that's good if the recording is good. If the recording is bad I prefer the lighter treble on the ie800 or hd600.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #2,254 of 7,998

I rank the treble of ie800 on the same level as the bass A-.It's the treble of a high end iem,well extended but also hyper detailed.That means that it will pick problems with anything less than lossless files,sometimes even mp3320kbps.I heard the same song on mp3  and the treble was indeed piercing and caused fatique.On 16bit flac it was perfect,all the detail with none of the shrillness.That doesn't apply to all mp3s mind you,so you can enjoy mp3(320) with ie800 but in my opinion the best compromise between quality and space is lossless 16bit-44khz if you wanna hear what ie800 can do

I have best edition Cds ripped to WAV on my MacBook.My ears told me that WAV is distinctly better quality than either of the Apple formats.I've had to forgo the artwork,but to me it's worth it.I have Senn.650s and IE80s,but have held off on the IE800s because of

being unsure about the treble.The bass sounds as though it's fine,I like bass! So,with decent quality files the treble is fine,that's great.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,255 of 7,998
  Thanks for the replies.Just one more queston.Assuming one is able to achieve a good fit,how about the treble? I've read reports of the treble described as,"shrill","hot",and "piercing",also"thin".

Best you try them yourselves. I know i found the treble on certain levels to be thin and frail, especially on drum's cymbals. (tested with 24 bit files) That alone was enough to deter me away from IE800. There are reviews out there which has also mention on the treble part, not sure if the later batches have done something about it though.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,256 of 7,998
  Thanks for the replies.Just one more queston.Assuming one is able to achieve a good fit,how about the treble? I've read reports of the treble described as,"shrill","hot",and "piercing",also"thin".

I would go for "Perfect".

I am a fan of pronounced, clear, extended and detailed treble, but this can run into the obvious problems of listening fatigue.  I have sold on a number of near perfect sounding headphones as a result, including HD800's, Beyer T90's and T70's.  The IE800's though manage to provide exactly what I like but without ever getting tiring.

My guess is that if you don't like treble (eg. HD650 fans) then you might say it was shrill.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,257 of 7,998
I agree with James that treble is a bit thin and you can hear that with some genres more than others like opera but it is a preference thing(it's not excessively thin).That's why not the full marks but other than that i can't fault it.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #2,260 of 7,998
Quick update on fit.  I could not get any sort of reasonable seal cable down regardless of the tip used.  So, following a recommendation to go over ear, I tried the small oval tip.  A really good seal and sounded fantastic.  However, I found that as they went in too deep, they would stretch and quickly hurt my ears.  Further, the vented rear 'fin' felt quite unpleasant in my ear cavity.  

After a fair bit of trial and testing, I've cracked it I think.  Medium tips, upside down (not with cable over ear tho') and not pushed in too deep but a little deeper than cable down and I have the perfect seal.  Nirvana at last.  It's comfortable - not as comfortable as cable down mind you - but enough for me to forget about them when listening.  

Clearly I'm not the first to experience fit issues, but I am making my way through the 150 pages of posts to educate myself on others experiences.  Ultimately, my goal will be to have them worn cable down with foam isolating tips so I'll keep working on that hack.

For now though, am very happy with audio quality.  I will conclude with this - more than any other iem, I've never experienced an iem so sensitive from an aq perspective to fit.   Needs a lot of trial and testing.  

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2,265 of 7,998
Not for me... Weird. So it probably depends of the user's ears, that's why i wouldn't recommend it.

I tried a dozen different tips from different brands and for now the only ones who really stay in place are the Jabras.
They clamp / lock as well as the sennheiser tips, if not a little more. Sound gets brigther, can be a good thing too for people who think there's a bit too much bass with the stock tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back