Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #7,171 of 7,998
If the deal on eBay looks to good to be true then they are probably fake. I made that mistake with my 1st pair and the bass ports fell out of them as soon as I went to put them in my ear. I ended up purchasing a legit pair from Amazon and threw the fake ones in the trash, lesson learned. eBay is good for most things but for an IE800 purchase they are sketchy at best.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #7,172 of 7,998
However to help with your question ive read the 'S' brand icon can be backwards on the 2.5mm connector, the cord not being the correct length, not having a distinct 'click' in the cord plug, rough mouldings, inconsistant pattern on the cord. Poor stitching quality, bad foam cutting/shape, and a weak magnet for the case. The authentification numbers on the case and senny's website can also be dodgey.

Without actually having them in hand the most determinable features are.... if photos of the "actual" item are available....the ear pieces themselves and the case.

ie800 vs fake.jpg
ie800 case.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #7,173 of 7,998
Rejoined the IE800 craze with another Amazon Warehouse deal. Everything was on the up-and-up but for an obviously fake cable. Everything else is genuine. I bet someone broke their cable, bought a fake, bought one from Amazon, and did a switcharoo.

I regret selling these things. The detail is downright intoxicating. Yes, they're quite "present" in the treble but that's what makes them so special. I ordered the special IE800 Comply tips which my friend described as "orgasmic". Anybody have any experience with them?

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #7,174 of 7,998
Rejoined the IE800 craze with another Amazon Warehouse deal. Everything was on the up-and-up but for an obviously fake cable. Everything else is genuine. I bet someone broke their cable, bought a fake, bought one from Amazon, and did a switcharoo.

I regret selling these things. The detail is downright intoxicating. Yes, they're quite "present" in the treble but that's what makes them so special. I ordered the special IE800 Comply tips which my friend described as "orgasmic". Anybody have any experience with them?
Special comply tips?? I didn't know there was such a thing. Do you have a link?

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #7,176 of 7,998
Yep - but all Amazon listings don't mention the IE800. But those are the ones. I asked Comply "how???" and they said "trust me". My friend bought them for his set and swears by them.

Comply tips attenuate the treble in a broadband way, and the treble is rather bright in a broadband way. May be a match made in heaven.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #7,177 of 7,998
I ordered the special IE800 Comply tips which my friend described as "orgasmic". Anybody have any experience with them?

They work as well as comply tips usually do. What annoys me is that there's no mesh guard on them, so you'll only have the earpiece mesh protecting the driver. And because this is a custom ear tip, there aren't variations of it. Only one or none.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #7,178 of 7,998
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #7,179 of 7,998
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #7,180 of 7,998
Good point about the mesh. Maybe they'll add the mesh version soon.

They've been around a while now. I got them close to a year ago and been watching for an update and nothing :frowning2:

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #7,181 of 7,998
They've been around a while now. I got them close to a year ago and been watching for an update and nothing :frowning2:
Does the mesh alter or enhance the sound on the IE800's?

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #7,182 of 7,998
Does the mesh alter or enhance the sound on the IE800's?
They're acoustically transparent. The tip, notsomuch. Any bore over their T-100 size (or a multi-BA driver like Noble where the shaft is large but the bores are small) attenuates the treble appreciably.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #7,183 of 7,998
Previously mentioned in this thread was that the idsd, dx200 and the opus #3 power the ie' s superbly. Im a new comer to all this juicy hifi gear and have a question i cannot find the answer to in my head: im currently running the ie's from my phone (blasphemy i know) so im looking for something that would power thrm properly. I dont think the idsd is portable enough for me so ive been looking at the mojo or the dx200. What would power and sound best with the iem's? with the phone i use lossless tidal (swapping yo quobuz) so the thought of the mojo is advantageous. Im not rather familiar with the dx200 though, what is its tidal experience like? Can i import my downloaded music files from the phone to the dx? Whats tidal (and quobuz) like on the dc? User experience and clarification would be fantastic :)

Sorry for the spelling, galaxy touch keypad is LAME! My blackberry passport broke :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #7,184 of 7,998
Previously mentioned in this thread was that the idsd, dx200 and the opus #3 power the ie' s superbly. Im a new comer to all this juicy hifi gear and have a question i cannot find the answer to in my head: im currently running the ie's from my phone (blasphemy i know) so im looking for something that would power thrm properly. I dont think the idsd is portable enough for me so ive been looking at the mojo or the dx200. What would power and sound best with the iem's? with the phone i use lossless tidal (swapping yo quobuz) so the thought of the mojo is advantageous. Im not rather familiar with the dx200 though, what is its tidal experience like? Can i import my downloaded music files from the phone to the dx? Whats tidal (and quobuz) like on the dc? User experience and clarification would be fantastic :)

Sorry for the spelling, galaxy touch keypad is LAME! My blackberry passport broke :frowning2:

I'm not sure if you can install, or how to install tidal and other apps on DX200, but they sound amazing with ie800!

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #7,185 of 7,998
One commute in with the IE800 Comply tips and they absolutely nailed it. The "heat" in the treble goes away, yet you're still immersed in detail. I was even blasting 8kHz and 16kHz on my EQ and while still sounding weird, they didn't kill my ears like they did before I installed the tips.

What's funny is that the IE800's "fatal flaw" is a very straightforward thing to correct. These IEMs have a single, relatively wide band treble spike (more like a hill) centered at 11kHz. This can be corrected with a single band of parametric EQ, and IMO you're left with flawless sound. Too bad there's no universal parametric EQ available for Android....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back