Sennheiser IE800 IEM's

1. Rob80b
    I can hear a sustained 11hz sine waves but at my age I'd be pretty well pressed to hear any actual musically produced harmonic overtones around that frequency range, back in the early 70s when I started in recording and producing electro-acoustic music yes..... but then our analogue tape machines masked it with tape hiss. :triportsad: ......lol......:beyersmile:

2. m8o
    I would never buy from someone with 87.5% feedback. Not liking the low transaction count either; or where the seller lives, tho that is a pretty wide and illegitimate social profiling net if I do say so myself. Lol. Still, all other things added in, the demographics matters a bit more.

3. Dobrescu George
    It would be best to avoid eBay for those, unless you don't mind testing a fake as well...

Death_Block likes this.
  4. Death_Block
    I'd say fake. The foam looks too spongy and the case has a shine to it. Enough to raise doubts i couldnt live with.

Dobrescu George likes this.
  5. Death_Block
    Ive read even the fakes are hard to dustinguish apart from listening alone.

Dobrescu George likes this.
  6. bcheng94
  7. singleended58
    I have never trusted eBay stuffs. I bought my IE800 locally and delivered to me.

8. Dobrescu George
    They look fairly used, if they are real. Can't say only from those photos, need closer photos to be sure, and need photos of the IEM body / connectors. but the state of the Y split looks like they were used outside a bit.

9. Death_Block
    Is that corrosion?

10. Rob80b
    Good example by Eliane Radigue "Transamorem Transmortem" 1973 of high tones used in musical (sound) compositions

KLK2A1 likes this.
  11. thefitz
    Indeed, but I'm just talking about regular old cymbals on a drum kit. 11kHz can make high-hats quite fatiguing after a while. A gentle reduction opens up the sound nicely.

12. Rob80b

Always hard to tell unless you know what your looking for...but both look legit IMHO...
    But as Death_Block point out the case does look a bit too shiny and spongy : ) but the ear pieces themselves look properly etched.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 12.31.27 PM.png

And on the second set the seam on the connector below the ring looks identical to the ones I got directly from Sennheiser.
    ie800 connector.png

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  13. Rob80b
    I'm sure it does, the ie800s may be telling it like it is or the designer's ears are as old as mine.... :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:.....maybe I should be boosting the EQ :ksc75smile:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  14. csglinux
    After playing around with the IE800 for a couple of months, I discovered two pretty different ways of wearing them:

1) With a fairly deep insertion using smaller tips (the IEMs need to be angled up, into the ear canal).
    2) With a shallow insertion using larger tips. In this case the IEMs sit pretty much just on the outside of the ear canal.

Both provide a reasonable seal.

I think 1) is wrong and/or not what the designer intended(?). I've had some private communications with other IE800 owners which suggest that the dual-chamber attenuators won't work properly in this situation. Anybody else using smaller tips and relatively deep insertion, or is this strictly forbidden for IE800 owners?

In case 1), the resonant treble peak is pushed to a slightly higher frequency (a good thing), but the sub- and mid-bass become a bit overwhelming (not a good thing).

In case 2), the bass is better controlled but I find the treble a bit too bright for my ears :frowning2:

They are great IEMs, and I'm not here to bash them. But I can't find any way of wearing them in which they sound superior to my (much less expensive) FLC 8S.

Any more news on the IE810 or IE800S?