Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 10, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,781 of 7,998
  I do not understand your question. Please clarify. 

Ie800 is not 300 EUR but around 600 EUR.

Other than that, the soundstage is much deeper, and wider than hd598. The entire sound is better, but with much more treble. You should buy them if you like treble, both hd380pro and hd598 are smooth, and have a smoothened treble. Ie800 certainly sounds very natural and neutral.

Also, the bass is rounder, more complete, better. 

You will never use anything else, until you buy a more exepnsive headphone, like HD800. At least, this is how it played out for me..

You mean soundstage of 800 is wider and deeper than 598? Really? 800's soundstage is unmatchable for IEMs, but It's obviously not able to reach the level of HD600. I don't have 598, but from information on the internet, I have no any impression that soundstage of 598 is obvious smaller than 600.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #3,782 of 7,998

You mean soundstage of 800 is wider and deeper than 598? Really? 800's soundstage is unmatchable for IEMs, but It's obviously not able to reach the level of HD600. I don't have 598, but from information on the internet, I have no any impression that soundstage of 598 is obvious smaller than 600.

Ie800 has a larger soundstage than hd598, and maybe on par, maybe bigger than hd600. 

Do not get me wrong, the soundstage is not similar, and it is not as wide as it is deep and better layered. 

I think that ie800 were aimed at hd800 fans. 

Also, maybe the way I heared the soundstage differently was because of the sound tuning. Hd600 is smooth in the treble region, and so, it is natural for soundstage to be smaller, because cymbal crashes make some of spatial sounds in metal recordings, which is my main music. 

For other music, it is on par, I think...  very different would be a better way to put it. I am more into ie800 sound and soundstage in general, with large ovals than I was into hd600 or 650. 

Hd598 has a small soundstage, but again, because of tuning, I hear much less spatial cues from a headphone like hd598 with metal, and harsh music, like electronic. 

With classical, hd650 might have a larger soundstage than it does with metal, so again, take this into account. Also for me, hd800 equals a landscape of music, but I tested it with metal music, maybe this is why our results differ so much. Source and amping sure do change sound, and ie800 straight out of laptop jack or smarphones sound rather flat. Adding e12a from fiio makes the soundstage larger than hd650, by a considerable margin, but hd650 were not extremely good amped in my tests. too many variables. 

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,783 of 7,998
  Ie800 has a larger soundstage than hd598, and maybe on par, maybe bigger than hd600. 

Do not get me wrong, the soundstage is not similar, and it is not as wide as it is deep and better layered. 

I think that ie800 were aimed at hd800 fans. 

Also, maybe the way I heared the soundstage differently was because of the sound tuning. Hd600 is smooth in the treble region, and so, it is natural for soundstage to be smaller, because cymbal crashes make some of spatial sounds in metal recordings, which is my main music. 

For other music, it is on par, I think...  very different would be a better way to put it. I am more into ie800 sound and soundstage in general, with large ovals than I was into hd600 or 650. 

Hd598 has a small soundstage, but again, because of tuning, I hear much less spatial cues from a headphone like hd598 with metal, and harsh music, like electronic. 

With classical, hd650 might have a larger soundstage than it does with metal, so again, take this into account. Also for me, hd800 equals a landscape of music, but I tested it with metal music, maybe this is why our results differ so much. Source and amping sure do change sound, and ie800 straight out of laptop jack or smarphones sound rather flat. Adding e12a from fiio makes the soundstage larger than hd650, by a considerable margin, but hd650 were not extremely good amped in my tests. too many variables. 

Though I only listen to classical, I cannot agree with you at all. Well, Either my 800 wasn't drived well or your 600 wasn't drived well or certain misunderstanding here. Anyway, we all enjoy the presentation of IE800. :)

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,784 of 7,998

Thanks

For the 300 EUR, I was refering the something like the IE80 for exemple.
I'm very surprised to hear that IEM can be better than opened headphone; I thought the size was at the cost of the quality!
So is there any reason to use headphones over IEM? because it's quality + portability!

Headphones create a more natural soundstage. 

IE800 have an amazing soundstage, but it cannot be as natural as most headphones, because the soundwaves do not touch the outer ear. 

But it is more expansive. 

Look, ie8/80 will have better soundstage than hd598, and most headphones, but they have smooth treble. If you are coming from hd598, ie80 might sound good, if you were happy with hd598.

Ie800, on the other hand are treble happy, and I do love it. Ie8/80 were always eq-ed to have much more treble, and much less bass when I was using them. My wife likes them with house signature though, so it varies. 

On around 300$ you cannot really go wrong with ie8, and probably it is one of the best IEMs, but it is not ie800, nor it tries to be. Detail retrieval is on par between hd598 and ie8, and it is much better on ie800.

Also, for ie8, you should buy an E12A for an even better soundstage, it really changes the sound in a good way,. I just love that sound!

It all depends on what type of music you listen to. Ie800 goes with all types, and so does ie80, but there are headphones that do not sound clear or good with every genere. For example, I love my ultrasone dj one pro with electronica, but with metal, the cybals and the overly hars vocals would be better even more harsh, and with more spice to them. But there are people who do not want to hear cymbals like this, and who love smooth things, and muted cymbals. In the 300$ range, a pair of ie80 will sound in a general sense very good. But it is best to check before buying, if you like the signatures. 

I think that for the same price, a IEM will sound probably better than a headphone. Most headphones around 700$ are not as refined, textured, detailed, and amazing as ie800. But hd800, at 1500$ is. even better. But it is an open headphone, where ie800 is a small, portable IEM. I loved both, and could live happy with either. If low on cash, I could live happy with hd598 or hd449, for that price range they are amazing. 

Sidenote: ie80 are shallow insertion, are big, the sound has enough space to have a more distant, wider soundstage. but this also means that you should try before buying as shallow insertion is different from the mid insertion of most iems and ie800

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #3,785 of 7,998

Though I only listen to classical, I cannot agree with you at all. Well, Either my 800 wasn't drived well or your 600 wasn't drived well or certain misunderstanding here. Anyway, we all enjoy the presentation of IE800. :)

Maybe, I remember driving hd800 with either fiio x5, fiio x5+E12, X5 as a DAC to amp matrix m stage hpa2, and a woo audio fireflies. 

Ie800 was always used as X5->E12a. 

I do love the sound of ie800 too!

Also, if you really like them, HD800, is also great, it has that very expressive and clear treble. I actually plan to get them in a distant feature, as the HD800 signature is exactly the kind of signature I would love. 

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #3,786 of 7,998
  Maybe, I remember driving hd800 with either fiio x5, fiio x5+E12, X5 as a DAC to amp matrix m stage hpa2, and a woo audio fireflies. 

Ie800 was always used as X5->E12a. 

I do love the sound of ie800 too!

Also, if you really like them, HD800, is also great, it has that very expressive and clear treble. I actually plan to get them in a distant feature, as the HD800 signature is exactly the kind of signature I would love. 

Have no plan for such an expressive headphone. I'm now busy on enjoying IE80, 800, and HD600. Maybe after I'm tired with them or broken of them.
The sound signature of these three are all different. I love all of them very much now.

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #3,787 of 7,998
I really appreciate how far these IEMs and headphones have gone.  There are many situations where I can't blast my speakers and these come to rescue.  I'm pretty stuck to IE800 and HD800.  Am toying with the idea of getting another one to compare to the IE800.  The top contender seems to be the SE846, but are there any other dark horses out there?  I do like how airy the treble and how impactful and clean the bass is on the IE800.  

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #3,788 of 7,998
  I really appreciate how far these IEMs and headphones have gone.  There are many situations where I can't blast my speakers and these come to rescue.  I'm pretty stuck to IE800 and HD800.  Am toying with the idea of getting another one to compare to the IE800.  The top contender seems to be the SE846, but are there any other dark horses out there?  I do like how airy the treble and how impactful and clean the bass is on the IE800.  

hype is a bitch , again.

try K3003 / W60 / Angie instead

846 has the name/hype but i see many people de-hyping them after they have heard other TOTL iems

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #3,790 of 7,998
Angie is pure Hype and we all know it.

in what way ? i see nothing but praise for its sound

i see more 'negative' talk about layla/roxanne , but angie i see mostly praises regarding its sonic abilities

you may say that it may be overpriced (which all TOTL iems are) , but then again it's not overpriced AND mediocre sound (for the money) like 846

imo , hype is something that costs X when perfoming less than its X price /people buying it and then figuring out that it does not sound as good as it costs

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,791 of 7,998
proedros said:

...you may say that it may be overpriced (which all TOTL iems are) , but then again it's not overpriced AND mediocre sound (for the money) like 846

That's not an universally valid truth and certainly not how I see/hear it. I'm still convinced of the SE846.

You may know that sonic perception and sonic ideals vary to a large degree.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #3,792 of 7,998

in what way ? i see nothing but praise for its sound

i see more 'negative' talk about layla/roxanne , but angie i see mostly praises regarding its sonic abilities

you may say that it may be overpriced (which all TOTL iems are) , but then again it's not overpriced AND mediocre sound (for the money) like 846

imo , hype is something that costs X when perfoming less than its X price /people buying it and then figuring out that it does not sound as good as it costs

846 has a smoother treble, but it is not mediocre. Mostly different

I still do preffer the sound of ie800 above all other things I tried, but I am yet to try a few. I am particulary curious about angie, layla and roxanne, but I read that they are smooth in the treble, and this would kill the sound for me. 

I wonder how overpriced audeze headphones would sound to you, as they are smooth in the treble, and kind of lack the wow effect, but amaze after some periods of time with their clarity. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3,794 of 7,998
Got a brand new pair on an auction for 280 eur. Yeah, you heard me. 280 eur. I've had them for two days now an wow screw*g wow was that some value for money! I'm running them out a Cayin c5 amp and a fiio x3 and all I can say is that these are world class universals. These little babies are all heart, huge step up from my Shure se535s. With IEMs nowadays taking a different path - the one with 8 drivers per ear and balanced upgrade cables - this was a great moment to catch a sale on the hopelessly old-fashioned ie800.  

Soundstage is a bit underwhelming and the treble overwhelming, but I'm sure I'll adjust. Other than that, these are smooth, beautiful, soulful little things. Not German at all - with all due respect to our German friends on the forum.

A question though - burn in? Do they need any and does it smooth out that treble a bit?

Another question - do these benefit from cable upgrades at all, seeing as a lot of the original cable remains?

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #3,795 of 7,998
  Got a brand new pair on an auction for 280 eur. Yeah, you heard me. 280 eur. I've had them for two days now an wow screw*g wow was that some value for money! I'm running them out a Cayin c5 amp and a fiio x3 and all I can say is that these are world class universals. These little babies are all heart, huge step up from my Shure se535s. With IEMs nowadays taking a different path - the one with 8 drivers per ear and balanced upgrade cables - this was a great moment to catch a sale on the hopelessly old-fashioned ie800.  

Soundstage is a bit underwhelming and the treble overwhelming, but I'm sure I'll adjust. Other than that, these are smooth, beautiful, soulful little things. Not German at all - with all due respect to our German friends on the forum.

A question though - burn in? Do they need any and does it smooth out that treble a bit?

Another question - do these benefit from cable upgrades at all, seeing as a lot of the original cable remains?

I am pretty sure that the cables do not change the sound a lot. 

Also, burn in is much more mental than mechanical.

If you got yours so cheap, are they new or used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back