Sennheiser IE80 VS Sony XBA-4 VS Sony MDR-EX1000
Jun 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #31 of 38
I would consider some additional options, to be honest.  I own the Sennheiser IE 80s and they are generally my favorite headphones but would not consider them in any situation where isolation is imperative.  If you want truly thumping bass you will want dynamic drivers.  In my collection, while my UE triple.fi 10s offer the best isolation, the Monster Miles Davis Tribute headphones basically describe what you're going for.  Very strong bass, good soundstage (though, not as good as the IE 80s but then again nothing is), generally solid sound and decent isolation.  The main concern is that the cable doesn't give a lot of confidence and isn't replaceable (and I have learned from experience to distrust non-replaceable cables).   I'm not sure if anyone is still selling them.  The Monster Turbine Pro Gold is supposedly similar. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #32 of 38
What did you end up getting.
I have not tried the xba4 but i keep hovering over them on amazon, i do however own a pair of ex1000 and have tried many lower end headphones etys beyers etc. and my personal opinion now after over 300hours of listening. The ex1000s are perfect

They just sound as i want them to, i tried to find a set that were clowe to my shure 840s which are full size, and these seem to nealry mirror the stage.

I will get some xba 4ip so when im walking the dog i can take calls.

Be good to hear what you got, i know the ex1000 is not sold anymore now so may become a collectors item so snap one up quick.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #34 of 38
I can only comment on the IE80, so here a brief description of my opinion:

Sound is rather amazing, I own them for a week now and everytime I put them on I am deeply impressed by their amazing bass. It goes on till its more of a shock than a noise, while, even when their bass-tuning thingy is turned to max, hardly showing any distortion or lloss of detail. It has an amazing rumble, which is very clear when listening to classical soundtracks. Treble is sort of "active", but I never found it harsh, and my ears are (based on my own experience) very sensitive to high-frequency tones (for example, all of my friends can watch those old boxy TV's, I just can't. The only thing I hear is that horrible head-aching 2 billion Db 300kHz sound or something like that).

Mids are nothing special, not good not bad, just fine. 

Overall I think their amazing bass is their USP, but it's tuneable (if it is too much, try the tape-mod by covering up the vents with tape) and for dynamics they offer a very good treble and nice mids. This makes them great for electronic, rap, and more rythm dependent music, but they sound good with any kind of music. They don't mess up anything.

I use the biggest foam tips i got with my IE80, and when listening music is really good (I don't understand other peoples issues). I can't hear a thing of a conversation when listening to the lowest volume possible, and a rushing train is audible, but that's it.

The cable seems strong, rigid and is replacable, so no issues with that. Also very resistant to microphonics.

The comfort is the only thing that could be improved. When wearing them for a long period of time (which I do every day), there's just one part of the IEM pushing a corner of itself into a part of my ear, which aches a little bit. 

I recommend the IE80 when you want to play safe, as they are not likely to disappoint when they are burnt-in. Sennheiser usually doesn't make any products that sound bad, But it's an expensive brand in AMerica due to shipment. I got them myself at €210 at Amazon.de, which is amazing value, IMO.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:
What did you end up getting.
I have not tried the xba4 but i keep hovering over them on amazon, i do however own a pair of ex1000 and have tried many lower end headphones etys beyers etc. and my personal opinion now after over 300hours of listening. The ex1000s are perfect
They just sound as i want them to, i tried to find a set that were clowe to my shure 840s which are full size, and these seem to nealry mirror the stage.
I will get some xba 4ip so when im walking the dog i can take calls.
Be good to hear what you got, i know the ex1000 is not sold anymore now so may become a collectors item so snap one up quick.

I ended up getting something completely different... I got a pair of Shure SE535's.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #36 of 38
There's no way Universal BA's or even Customs can be as airy and open as high-end dynamics IMO... ive been into 13 by Harvey; yes it has the sonic balance and overall detail but naturalness of sound specially with wind instrument and soundstage are just excellent with IE80... Sorry do derailed the topic.. Anyway, if sealing is your priority i think you go with XBA-4.

BamBoomBots

Agree with you on the tips... im also using large foam which is the best you can have on bundled tips... 

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #37 of 38
I've got the IE8i and XBA-3ip. I prefer the IE8 over the Sony. The soundstage on the IE8 pops out more "3D effect?" and is more wide but not as deep. The soundstage on the Sony is big also and is more spherical, but IMO doesn't jump out as much as the IE8. The IE8 also has a replaceable Kevlar coated wire that never tangles. The IE8 has a bit of a mid bass hump. It also took me a while to actually get the soundstage on the IE8. The tips that came with it fit fine, but I didn't notice the soundstage everyone was talking about until I tried some RadioShack Aveo tips. I got some of the "out of the head effects" after I put those on. Judging from your post, I think you'll like the IE80

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #38 of 38
I'm going to have to buy some better tips, I,ll hunt around, I might try some more comply tips but go for the big fat ones for the IE8i

I seem to loose all acoustic goodness if I go walk the dog, I'm getting the same feeling as I did when I bought the etymotic s I hated them and sold them, I'm gonna play with the ie8 today and find that good tip, I,ll take a look at the RadioShack stuff, although I'm UK don't think we have that anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back