Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #7,096 of 8,119

Even if you used the warranty once you should still be able to use it again if it is within the warranty period. There is no reason for Sennheiser to try and deny you this. Even with the sh#tty bose IE2 after one pair would break while under warranty bose would replace them and my warranty would be for another year, not just for the original pair I had (the warranty would start from day one on the new bose). Check into man.
Quote:
@aleki
I'm not sure how to describe it, but when I press on the earphone the music comes back nearly inaudible for a split second and goes away again. I guess the sound is similar to driving past something at high speed in a car.

@lee730
Yep, I already used my warranty once. I like the idea of a new one for half price though, that would be nice as an option.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #7,097 of 8,119
i just received my new sennheiser ie8, but I hate the isolation with the standard tips..
Can someone give me a tutorial to make make tip mod? I'm owning all the stock tips and a pair of Large sony Hybrids and I don 't want to buy other tips to make a mod... I already searched  on the internet but couldn't find anything useful....

thanks 

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #7,098 of 8,119
The IE8`s mod as far as I remember was for sound not isolation. The thing with these, in my opinion, is you do not want total isolation/deep insertion. If you can manage little insertion and good isolation then good on you. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #7,100 of 8,119
Sorry mate, I have no idea. I don`t even know what the Sony hybrids are.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #7,101 of 8,119

I did post some tips that I used earlier I'll do a quick search and post them. What size ear pieces do you use? I use large and the ones I use are pretty good at isolating (not shure isoloation) but decent non the less. You have to remember that the IE8s won't isolate nearly as good as some other IEMs due to the bass port I think. In terms of isolation that I get recently we had a fire alarm issue at work and I was able to sit out the issue using the IE8s with my JVC tips (without the tips the noise is unbearable) and no audio playing. So while I could still clearly hear the fire alarm it wasn't nearly as bad as actually hearing it without them in my ears.

Edit: Ok below are some tips on the decay mod (another headfi memberes idea) and also a few ear tips I purchased from amazon which work great

What I did was I used the large double flange tip that comes with the IE8 and then put a large single flange tip over it, putting the inner piece that normally connects to the IE8 driver head into the double flange opening and then you just wrap the single flange over the top of the double flange. Almost like a triple flange if you will. This takes the IE8's further away from your ear canal and still give you a seal. You may look like Frankenstein though lol but it works wonders for me and definitely helps with the mid bass hump. Also changing from a stock cable to a pure silver cable really toned down the bass and really extended the highs. These are like treble monsters now lol but sound really great out of the stock Sflo2 HO because that amp is warm and the highs are a tad recessed which brings balance to these cables now. If I use the Line Out with an amp that's not  somewhat warm and just neutral these things will destroy my ears lol. Mids are also forward now and there is so much more emphasis and detail in the sound stage now. I'm also looking into the Sony EX1000 as I heard they sound like the IE8's but they bring everything in your head as opposed to third row. I think I'll like them both. If anyone's interested in a pair of IE7 or Fiio E7 amp pm me. Thanks.

Edit: I also listed 2 other tips that worked good for me in my next post below. Good luck.
Quote:
Technocrafts said:

Any recommendation of ear tips for the ie-8? What you stated makes perfect sense, there's a lot of physics involved when it comes to those seemingly insignificant silicone tips. They determine the volume of air enclosed withinin one's ear canal between the micro-speaker and one's tympanic membrane. Since the ie-8 has a short extension and wide ear tips, they don't enter the ear canal as many calal phones do, such as the Klipsch Image X5. Because of that, the air waves produced by the micro speaker may not be directed right on the ear drum if the plugs are not positioned properly, causing some frequency range to dissipate, resulting in a veiled sound that comes trough muffled. I have the feeling that's the reason I never really got connected with the vaunted ie-8. I tried a wide variety of selections, someone from here transferred me over a set of monster sampler pack. The triple-fi 10 mid size silicone tips work best so far, but they are leaking too much bass, I loose most of the details of sub-bass, but at least the undesired mid-bass hump also gets filtered out . There has to be some better gels that work with these phones, I know the potential is there, I tested them with a tone generator, and the response range on them is more than impressive. I would be glad for any suggestions .

Edited by lee730 - 7/18/11 at 4:24pm
ReplyQuote Multi
post #7026 of 7102
7/18/11 at 4:08pm

1. lee730
  3. badge_100.v1305918899.png
  5. online
  1. 233 Posts. Joined 1/2011
  2. Location: Hawaii

Quote:
Poetik said:

God these sound so good with sony hybrid tips, a custom cable with silver, and with all that mid bass bloat EQ'd down. 

Glad your are enjoying them. I tried the sony tips but it just appeared to muffle the sound and really cut into the soundstage for me. I use JVC tips and Vmoda bass tips as well. Both work wonders. The JVC tips seems to be a bit more thick than the stock single flanges and give a good seal. Believe it or not those monster double flange tips don't even come close to giving me a seal. The only way it could is if the top flange on that tip was a large as the base of it as my ear canals are very wide.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Replacement-Silicone-V-MODA-V-moda/dp/B002X866S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311030314&sr=8-1
ir

http://www.amazon.com/HA-NCX77-Replacement-Silicone-Tips-Large/dp/B003P8XOQ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1311030499&sr=1-1
ir

Quote:
i just received my new sennheiser ie8, but I hate the isolation with the standard tips..
Can someone give me a tutorial to make make tip mod? I'm owning all the stock tips and a pair of Large sony Hybrids and I don 't want to buy other tips to make a mod... I already searched  on the internet but couldn't find anything useful....

thanks 

1. sjondenon
  3. badge_junior.v1305918899.png
  5. online
  1. 12 Posts. Joined 7/2011

Okay, thanks, so do the sony hybrids improve the sound?

I don't consider the Sony hyrbrids to improve the sound but other headfiers do. Its subjective as for me all it does is muffle the sound and makes the sound stage smaller.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #7,102 of 8,119

Quote:

thanks 

If you looking for better noise attenuation, one of the best solution is to get a pair of double flange tips, a few pages back I have a picture posted. Those are very inexpensive, I'm sure you can find a pair on ebay, initially sold for UE Supoer-fi and Triple-fi phones. While I found those to isolate very well, they muddy up the sound to a point I can't even tolerate it, so I swapped them out rather quickly.Many here on head-fi recommend the Monster Super-tips, reportedly for them those work wanders, but not for me. I just picked up a new pack, but there's not one single pair of those tips that would stay in my ears, so they will be returned to the store. I just stripped my old CX-300 off of its original medium gels and slipped them on the IE-8, the sound improvement is incredible, the best so far, meanwhile the noise attenuation is still acceptable. I hope this helped.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #7,103 of 8,119

Quote:
Lol. If your S-4 would be an Accord, than you just purchased the Acura TL (IE-8).

Good luck again on your purchase, and enjoy!

I got hold of my IE8s yesterday, i was so anxious about them that i went to UPS office to pick as i couldn't wait for their delivery :)

So I have been listening to these since a day and have to admit I have not heard anything like this... as I told u guys earlier this is my first top tier IEM, during listening sessions i was somtimes smiling in admiration , getting chills on certain songs and it was like I am in concert just amazing...

I will post the review once after full burn in... Thanks to all for leading me to this really !!

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #7,106 of 8,119
Soo, my IE8 burned in for about 20 hours and i already love them. The only thing that could be better is the bass, it's a bit muddy, uncontrolled and doesn't  pump really but that will change over the time I think :)

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #7,108 of 8,119

Quote:
Soo, my IE8 burned in for about 20 hours and i already love them. The only thing that could be better is the bass, it's a bit muddy, uncontrolled and doesn't  pump really but that will change over the time I think :)

just an FYI, I notice they tend to get muddy the further in my ear they are. Try finding tips that make a seal a little farther away

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #7,110 of 8,119

Quote:
ill tell you nextw eek. i had the jh16 and i have an ie8 coming monday.  of course the jh16 would be by memory. both with had/have the TWAg upgrade.

So you didn't like your jh16's? Since your saying you had them I'm assuming they weren't your cup of tea. I've heard they are aggressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back