Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #6,961 of 8,119
I can say, for a fact, that I thought the IE8 sounded just as clear as my MTPC. The only things that I didn't like were: the laid-back sound signature, the fact that getting a tight seal was pretty iffy all of the time, and I didn't really like the mid-bass hump; though, I did end up EQing it out...

I don't see how you can say they aren't clear, unless you have the bass dialed up all the way. The dial on the lowest notch, to my ears, doesn't extend into the mids, thus retaining clarity. From memory, the treble seemed pretty good too.

Unfortunately, I never received my MD from a trade, for my IE8, through HF (I assume he stole them...), so I can't compare the two.

May 31, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #6,962 of 8,119
It's been said by many - the MTPC clarity exceeds that of the IE8 by a noticeable margin.  This is not the say the IE8 are bad, they are just not quite as good as the MTPC.  This is more readily apparent on complex music with vocals or poorer recordings (all lossless are not equal) rather than jazz and acoustic.  Even the cheap Denons 560R easily beat the IE8 in clarity, transparency and naturalness.  But if you are content with your IE8 - enjoy them.  

May 31, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #6,963 of 8,119
For me, the tips used with the IE8 affected the SQ. I had both at the same time and kept the IE8. I didn't really notice a difference in clarity unless I used comply tips with the IE8 which made them sound muddy in comparison.

May 31, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #6,964 of 8,119
so i finally had a chance to listen to some westone 3's after my colleague bought a pair. I listened for them for about 2 hours to compare to my ie8s. now i have heard ie8, shure530, w3 and tf10's.

this is an quick summary for those who mite be looking to buy ie8's but need some info on how it compares to the other big names (i was in this position last year):

- ie8 vs se530 the 530 mids were very very nice and upfront very exciting however the highs rolled off and the bass impact was very weak for me, the bass extension was decent however. soundstage was normal compared to ie8

- ie8 vs tf10 the tf10 i really didnt like, the fit was awkward and the only thing that stuck out to me is the tingly highs. soundstage was similar to se530

- ie8 vs w3 at first i really liked  the w3 it was so exciting and the soundstage was not as wide however more 3d similar to my hd650's. the bass impact was same as the ie8 however i found the bass abit muddy and some sibiance with the vocals/highs. the fit and isolation won the ie8's hands down but after awhile i realised i prefered the smoothness of the ie8's the insanely wide soundstage and the quality of the bass.

i really need to hear the mtpc's now, sorry if this sounds abit confusing im not really an audiophile and lack the vocabulary to describe the sound but i do listen to alot of music.

May 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #6,965 of 8,119
W3 for me are one of the "worst" IEMs ever.  Completely unrealistic sound and tremendous hype/echo - like listening to music in a marble covered room.  Amazing how completely different/worse they are from the UM3x.  The MTPC and the Denons have the "best" IEM sound for me.

May 31, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #6,966 of 8,119

Quote:
W3 for me are one of the "worst" IEMs ever.  Completely unrealistic sound and tremendous hype/echo - like listening to music in a marble covered room.  Amazing how completely different/worse they are from the UM3x.  The MTPC and the Denons have the "best" IEM sound for me.

I couldn't agree with you more 
biggrin.gif

Though, I don't really see how relevant citing the MTPC is better than the W3 in an IE8 appreciation thread is lol 
wink_face.gif

May 31, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #6,967 of 8,119
Here - IE8 is also much better (along with any other IEM I have heard) than the W3 (which are simply bad).

The W3 took the SM3 concept and made it much worse.  But both IEMs have similar hyped sound sig.  Here - IE8 is in the same camp with somewhat hyped sound sig but the IE8 is better than the W3 and maybe on par with the SM3 for bass and soundstage with worse midrange and better highs.  The MD is also in the same camp as it is slightly hyped but bests all of the above.  

And at the top and in a different camp sit the MTPC and the Denon - clear, natural, crisp, extended and fun!

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #6,968 of 8,119
I Love my IE8's every time i use them i'm blown away.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #6,969 of 8,119

Quote:

I couldn't disagree more> I guess Its personal taste but W3's Smoke

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #6,970 of 8,119
Just ordered a pair from Play.com.  They're offering 'refurbs' with packaging etc but only one pair of tips - yours for £63!

Should arrive tomorrow/ Monday so will report back on condition and initial listening impressions.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #6,972 of 8,119
I have these :
http://www.custom-iem.com/supreme-pro-beat-audio-earphone-cable-p-646.html

they completely transforms the IE8s and have the best quality I have ever seen on an IEM cable. They do require at least 100 hour burn in before sounding their best. I have had custom cables for TF10s from Lune but they were nothing like these. I was seriously blown away by the difference the cable has made since I really wasn't expecting much coming from custom TF10 cables. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #6,973 of 8,119
^nice! How are the microphonics?? I use them a lot on the move so its very important to me... Have you tried any other cable for the IE8?? I've been drooling over these ones for the last few days: http://www.whiplashaudio.com/elite-sennheiser-ie8-replacemnt-cable.html

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #6,974 of 8,119
Just recieved the IE8 today from Play.com on PlayTraders, it is a refurbished and only the Earphones came with no accessories, it only cost £63 total.   I have compared to pictures of fakes online and mine seems real.

I had previously had the Monster Turbines Gold, and the IE8 is very different to it.  The MTPG were more warmer and more bassy sound and had better isolation.  The IE8 has massive soundstage,sounds more airy and lacks isolation.  The bass on the IE8 is deeper but more of a kick type of bass where as the MTPG was more mid-heavy punchy bass. 

I like the IE8 but I will wait for more burn in time to conclude wether it is better then the MTPG.  I honestly am not fan of the bass of the IE8, it is nice and deep but it is more kick type and is low on the mid-bass hump that made the MTPG great.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #6,975 of 8,119

Quote:
The bass on the IE8 is deeper but more of a kick type of bass where as the MTPG was more mid-heavy punchy bass. 

I like the IE8 but I will wait for more burn in time to conclude wether it is better then the MTPG.  I honestly am not fan of the bass of the IE8, it is nice and deep but it is more kick type and is low on the mid-bass hump that made the MTPG great.

Does not compute!

Have you tried increasing the bass dial? The IE8 is often criticised for it's huge mid-bass hump.

Also I recommend Sony Hybrids over the stock silicons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back