Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #6,661 of 8,119

Quote:
I actually have a lot of bass music and I'm a big fan of bass-heavy gear, but not for all music. You cannot possibly hear most of the details in your music if it's drowning in bass. For critical listening I favor headphones, the HD600 is my most favorite. For heavy bass
I can just plug in my CX-300 or the other dirty bass monster, the Klipsch Image S-4, there's no need to pay $400 to hear a lot of bass.
What I was hoping from the IE-8 was the HD600 sound on the go, but unfortunately no such animal in the IEM department. Yes, if there's enough bass leaks out, the IE-8 is very close to the Triple-Fi indeed, at least to my taste. Of course there are differences subtle and more stark, but I'm speaking in general.

ie8 is like the little brother of hd650.same tonality but ofcourse the 650 is more refined...etc
i am sure that you have a bad fit because with a crappy seal,the ie8 can be quiet bright and very airy.have you tried the black silicon tip that comes attached to the ie8?
remember that you need a very shallow seal.i honestly cant imagine that your triple fi's soundstage is like ie8.my jh13 soundstage is not as open or airy as ie8.
i wish i hadnt sold my beloved ie8
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #6,662 of 8,119
In that case mine has some problem for sure, they don't even approach the hd600 in term of clarity and details, let alone the hd650. I'm talking more of a pair of refined cx-300 with colored mid-range, bloated bass and hardly any details. Once I eliminate the tight seal, than they open up and the sound becomes very clear, more refined. I still have the feeling I'm missing something. A year earlier when I got to hear the triple fi the first time right out of the box, I was  startled even though it took me weeks before I was able to find the best gels for them and eliminate the bass leak. The awesome details, sparkling crystal clear highs and sound stage was something to lo and behold. Unfortunately I just missed that effect with the IE-8 among high anticipation, but they are on their way to Sennheiser, I will know shortly whether they are defective, knock off, or fakes after all or I just got spoiled by the sound of hd600 and expecting way too much...

Quote:
ie8 is like the little brother of hd650.same tonality but ofcourse the 650 is more refined...etc
i am sure that you have a bad fit because with a crappy seal,the ie8 can be quiet bright and very airy.have you tried the black silicon tip that comes attached to the ie8?
remember that you need a very shallow seal.i honestly cant imagine that your triple fi's soundstage is like ie8.my jh13 soundstage is not as open or airy as ie8.
i wish i hadnt sold my beloved ie8
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #6,663 of 8,119
Is there a list of good upgrade cables available for these phones anywhere? Or alternatively where one could get the connector that connects into the earphone for custom cables?  The stock cables feel really cheap to me, like something that would come on a $20 headphone.  I'd also much prefer an ear guide similar to the Shure SE425/535s.. the little plastic thing that came with the IE8's seems like a joke.

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #6,664 of 8,119

Quote:
Is there a list of good upgrade cables available for these phones anywhere? Or alternatively where one could get the connector that connects into the earphone for custom cables?  The stock cables feel really cheap to me, like something that would come on a $20 headphone.  I'd also much prefer an ear guide similar to the Shure SE425/535s.. the little plastic thing that came with the IE8's seems like a joke.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-IE8-Night-stalker-IE8-/110574283606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bebdab56

Whether it's any good I don't know.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #6,665 of 8,119
I saw the Moon Audio's Silver Dragon cable for IE8 in Jaben Singapore. I did not try it out because I don't own IE8.

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #6,666 of 8,119
Hey there everybody.

I recieved my new ie8's yestreday in the post, i bought them from amazon.de themselves and not some amazon market place seller. Iv already have had to return a fake pair i bought of ebay so was taking no chances ordering another pair there. The ones I got yesterday are genuine
L3000.gif

I dont mean to be a bit ignorant and lazy, but I dont really have the time to read 445 pages of comments.

Can someone please tell me if these headphones need to be burned in? if so for how long? what volume should it be at? is it ok to leave the mp3 player on for days on end burning in the headphones??

Im sorry im earphone junkie but i just want to get the best sound from them after paying €200 for them.

THANKS A MILLION

AIDAN

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #6,667 of 8,119
Hi! Congrats for your purchase!
Well, the IE8 are one of the phones that need serious burn-in. Some say 100 hours is sufficient, but in my experience, it's more about 250-300 hours before they settle down.
You will notice the biggest change during the first 50 hours, though.

edit: oh, yes, you can let some music play through you music player, with all effects off, and at a moderate listening volume (slighlty less than the volume you would be listening).

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #6,668 of 8,119
thanks for your fast response.

yeah the sound out of the box is not very good to be honest, i have cx350's and they nearly sound better!!

I will put the mp3 on random play and let them stew for a good while.

THANKS AGAIN

AIDAN

Quote:
Hi! Congrats for your purchase!
Well, the IE8 are one of the phones that need serious burn-in. Some say 100 hours is sufficient, but in my experience, it's more about 250-300 hours before they settle down.
You will notice the biggest change during the first 50 hours, though.

edit: oh, yes, you can let some music play through you music player, with all effects off, and at a moderate listening volume (slighlty less than the volume you would be listening).

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #6,669 of 8,119
Received my pair a couple of days ago. The fit when wearing them with cables over ear is just fantastic, as is their sound. These were the first set of IEM's that I was comfortable of sleeping when wearing them. Big thumbs up from me to Sennheiser.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #6,671 of 8,119
aidannulty wrote:

Can someone please tell me if these headphones need to be burned in? if so for how long? what volume should it be at? is it ok to leave the mp3 player on for days on end burning in the headphones??

I received my pair from Amazon, Friday last week.  They "definitely" need burn in.  My main headset is a Senn HD650 connected to separates.  If that's your case then partly, what needs to be taken into consideration is what you're coming from when you stick a pair of IE8's in your ears.

What you use to drive the IE8's is just as important as what drives your headphones.  Mine are being driven by a couple year old Sansa Clip.  So yes, this needs to be taken into the evaluative process.  On the other hand, for a boatload of money, you can hook these babies up to a HiFi Man HM-801.  The point, as good as the IE8's are, they're a fiscal compromise when compared to a set of uber expensive custom IEM's paired with a HM-801.

The rule of thumb regarding burning in a set of IE8's is a hundred hours with two hundred hours being better.  Another rule of thumb is, you don't listen to them during the burn-in time frame as doing so, one gets brain burn-in as the brain acclimates to the sound quality.  When I first turn the Sansa Clip on, I listen for a few minutes to make note of the current state of sound quality and then set the ear pieces to the side to stew, checking them a few time through out the day.  Currently I have fifteen to twenty hours burn-in time on the IE8's that I have.  I'm running rock FM through the IEM's and medium to low volume.  By using a rock station, coupled with the human voices of commercials and announcers, I'm getting music of many different kinds.  I turn them off at night, giving them a cool down rest and then fire them up in the morning.  This, in my opinion, for burn-in purposes, is as realistic as it gets.

A last point, yes, as good as the IE8's are, like all transducers, they have their short comings.  But the good news, after they've had a chance to loosen up because of the burn-in process, hooked up to a decent DAP/Amp (I don't want to be connected to an amp as I currently have the FiiO E-7)) coupled with the fact that the brain is very forgiving, my opinion, properly working and burned, these IEM's will make you a happy camper.

Hope the above helps.

L3000.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #6,672 of 8,119
am after burning them in for about 20 hours, and have to say there is a noticeable difference from when i first listened to them. When I first put them in my ears to be honest i thought the sound was crap!! But like a fine wine they get better over time. All the ear buds provided with them didnt suit my ears so I took them off my cx350's and its a perfect fit and better sound isolation!!

i will let you know when i burn them in more
L3000.gif

Aidan

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #6,673 of 8,119
i just bought these about 1 minute ago i cant wait to get them. i have a pair of dba-02s on the way too chances are ill be selling them or making them customs. anyone use the ie8s with alox rx? i also have sflo:2  pre ordered how do those sound together?

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #6,674 of 8,119
FWIW, I've found out the obvious that can't be understated and seems to be lost in the conversation, IE8's are well served by being attached to quality DAC/Amp output.  FWIW I've found that like quality headphones, any type of evaluation needs to be done while attached to a quality portable analogue signal.  Anything less and you're kidding only yourself.

L3000.gif

i also have sflo:2  pre ordered

Yummmm, BeeMan want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back