Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #6,616 of 8,119

Quote:
Yeah, I was looking at some of those reviews and ACS seems like the better candidate, even though they are more expensive. Have to debate whether I want to drop close to $200 for it though.
Think its that much worth it? I think this covers shipping, ear impressions and all that other stuff.

I guess you will need to take a few things into consideration. 

For me, I went into custom tips because I didn't foresee going into full customs any time soon and because the IE8s were a pair of IEMs that I had grown to love and I've tried some of the other models in the range and still liked my IE8s, being a top-tier IEM, this was the next step just before moving onto full custom IEMs. At this price range of an IE8, differences are in sound signature. The problem is, I can never go back to non-custom tips because they just feel dead weird. I reckon I'd get used to it again, but I love the fit of a custom, it feels so snug whereas non-customs just don't feel right anymore.

At the end of the day, if you think you might upgrade or are not fully content with the IE8s, then my advice would be to either not to spend too much on custom tips for this, or just to not spend at all and wait it out a little till you find something that you will stick with. Custom tips can't be transferred around. But if you are happy with what the IE8s are offering you, then better isolation is the way to go. At the end of it all, custom tips are a risk, I'd love for you to take the plunge just because I think it's good, but everyone has different experiences. Do note that if you think that the IE8 at minimum bass levels is too overpowering for you, then maybe stay away from custom tips cos the seal tends to keep the bass in. It's fine and I got used to it, but it gets quite obvious when I switch to my 702s at home due to the veiled signature of the IE8s. lol.

I would have to admit that I can't look back now on my experience, but if I had a choice, I'd find a custom IEM I really like and perhaps save for it because all up, the cost does seem quite close to a fully custom IEM. That said, I've enjoyed every moment I've had the IE8s and between spending 200 more (taking the position of us already having IE8s) or 1k for a full custom, I think I'd just pay the 200. With a full custom, you would also probably have to look at a good amp to maximise its full potential.

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #6,617 of 8,119
Thanks for the help bro.

Most likely will get the customs for these IE8's. I just love the sound soooooooo much with a good seal and small tweak of the EQ, I didn't pay full price for them either so it wouldn't be the worse thing on the planet. Now....time to find someone to get some molds done lol.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #6,618 of 8,119
hi everyone this is my first post. I've decided these are the headphones i want to buy after having bought some really crap bose and other low budget headphones. I wanted to know where are the safest websites to buy these from in the uk? I know amazon are an official sennheiser dealer but are there any other official dealers who have a better price? Im going to buy them next month and i am hoping somewhere will have them cheaper with it being close to christmas.

Thanks.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #6,620 of 8,119
so i just my ie8's brand new from razordog deals for about 270USD

initial impressions compared to the 530's with 2 hrs of burn in from work (i previously had the shure 530 and sold it for these):

- Packaging ie8 is alot better with the light and well packed box, shures metal case with the plastic was rather bad. However shure accessories were alot better, ie8 doesn't come with extension cord or a 3.5mm to rca.
- Cord ie8 is meant to be one of the best however shures cords were alot thicker giving it a greater sense of durability. I also preferred the shrue connector which wouldn't easily create static when moved around on my iphone/clip plus in my pocket.
- Comfort shure wins hands down, it was so rather hard the ie8's on and the foam tips were really bad compared to the shures. Also i think the biggest flaw of the ie8 is the isolation, i travel by bus alot and its driving me mad.
- Bass ie8 has alot more impact which is the main reason i bought these, both are detailed. However I do sometimes feel the bass overwhelms the mids.
- Mids shures are alot more better and alot more forward. Vocals both are excellent.
- Highs about the same for me right now.
- Sound stage ie8 wins hands i love the wide soundstage and airy feel.

Overall i feel the ie8's sound is alot more laid back and musical, shure530s kinda forced me to analyse music and detail which fatigues me and isnt as relaxing. I just wish the isolation on the ie8 werent this bad.

I am no audiophile or have no idea on describing earphones. This is my first description or comparison. I have owned cx300, kilpsch s4, monster turbine, shure 530 and heard triple fi 10's. I listen to mainly trance however since visiting this site and acquiring more expensive iem/headphones i started listening to classical, vocal and a tiny bit of jazz.

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #6,622 of 8,119
I've always loved my dj'ing phones, Sennheiser HD-25 II. So I took the plunge and bought a pair from a fellow head-fi'er. I hope that these will be my final IEM's. Will post some impressions after receiving and listening some music with them. Hope they'll blow my socks off!

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #6,623 of 8,119
To add my two cents and comment on your experience, don't expect these plugs to isolate well, nowhere near the triple fis. Unfortunately for the IE-8, their sound just drowns in its own bass if you can't air some of it out, they work a lot better with seal that leaks somewhat. I found that using the comply Tx-500 is the best compromise where you get enough isolation so you can enjoy the sound yet allows some of the coloration from the heavy bass to dissolve. With really effective and very tight seal these plugs are un listenable. I was always curious what is all the hype about them, so I got a used pair from one of the head-fiers and I'm glad I didn't buy them new. The triple fi with double flange gels beat the hell out of the IE-8 any time regarding clarity, balance and precision. Sound stage is the only strength I find the ie-8 would  possess, but the Triple fis aren't far behind either due to their acoustic filters. Otherwise the IE-8s are fun to listen, they have that open aire type headphone sound and you get the feeling you have a sub woofer attached to your head. I'm glad to have them as part of my IEM collection.

Quote:
so i just my ie8's brand new from razordog deals for about 270USD

initial impressions compared to the 530's with 2 hrs of burn in from work (i previously had the shure 530 and sold it for these):

- Packaging ie8 is alot better with the light and well packed box, shures metal case with the plastic was rather bad. However shure accessories were alot better, ie8 doesn't come with extension cord or a 3.5mm to rca.
- Cord ie8 is meant to be one of the best however shures cords were alot thicker giving it a greater sense of durability. I also preferred the shrue connector which wouldn't easily create static when moved around on my iphone/clip plus in my pocket.
- Comfort shure wins hands down, it was so rather hard the ie8's on and the foam tips were really bad compared to the shures. Also i think the biggest flaw of the ie8 is the isolation, i travel by bus alot and its driving me mad.
- Bass ie8 has alot more impact which is the main reason i bought these, both are detailed. However I do sometimes feel the bass overwhelms the mids.
- Mids shures are alot more better and alot more forward. Vocals both are excellent.
- Highs about the same for me right now.
- Sound stage ie8 wins hands i love the wide soundstage and airy feel.

Overall i feel the ie8's sound is alot more laid back and musical, shure530s kinda forced me to analyse music and detail which fatigues me and isnt as relaxing. I just wish the isolation on the ie8 werent this bad.

I am no audiophile or have no idea on describing earphones. This is my first description or comparison. I have owned cx300, kilpsch s4, monster turbine, shure 530 and heard triple fi 10's. I listen to mainly trance however since visiting this site and acquiring more expensive iem/headphones i started listening to classical, vocal and a tiny bit of jazz.

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #6,625 of 8,119
Can anybody answer?
smily_headphones1.gif

New IE8i cable (with remote) can reduce SQ somehow ? I want to swap my ordinary cable to remote asap =)

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #6,626 of 8,119
I hope next generation (ie9?) will have little less bass and more sparkling tremble, then it'll become ideal. But nevertheless these are still my most beloved IEMs.
Today i got cable broken and now i use my ultrasone hfi580 and i must say i miss ie8 alot. They are very fun to listen.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #6,627 of 8,119
IMO complies made the IE8s sound rubbish compared to using CX-300 style silicone tips. Sure the isolation was better, but it was more uncomfortable to wear. It also made the IE8s a lot more darker sounding with a more muddied up bass and recessed the midrange and treble a bit. That is my own experience but it was seriously a bad combo.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #6,628 of 8,119
Probably your comply tips seal too efficiently. I never ever got a good seal with them when tried with other iems soI quickly gave up on the foams when I needed a tight seal, that's why I was hoping they will help the IE-8 to leak some of that muddy bass. I'm not sure what made them decide at this extreme dark voicing, did Sennheiser attempted to compete with Bo$e? Beats me, but I would never pay full price for these plugs. And those adjusters are completely useless, they don't soften the offending bass at all.

Quote:
IMO complies made the IE8s sound rubbish compared to using CX-300 style silicone tips. Sure the isolation was better, but it was more uncomfortable to wear. It also made the IE8s a lot more darker sounding with a more muddied up bass and recessed the midrange and treble a bit. That is my own experience but it was seriously a bad combo.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #6,630 of 8,119
I wrote my opinion on another thread....I'll get back to you with a link. I will say though, they're great, wayyyyyyyy better than the t400's.

Here you go....

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/515707/ie8-mid-bass-hump#post_6976460

Users who are viewing this thread

Back