Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #6,256 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthpeople /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately... no, they shouldn't have a lack of bass or sound tinny even when not burned in. Either you've got a bad fit, or (hopefully not) a fake.

What symptoms can i expect then from a new unburnt pair of IE8s..some say they sound horrible until burnt in...thanks

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #6,257 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by bolinao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What symptoms can i expect then from a new unburnt pair of IE8s..some say they sound horrible until burnt in...thanks

They sound quite nice but have some midbass that gets smoothed out in the first 10-20 hours. Also, treble gets slightly smoother.
Tips are very very important on the IE8s; they have a very large impact on the soundsignature.

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #6,258 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by bolinao /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The opinions sure differ on that subject - I liked mine better right out of the box, compared to how they turned out to sound later.

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #6,259 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusiCol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the links, I've checked them out and am now 100% positive mine are the real thing. Phew! My IE8's have delivered the magic I was looking for on a couple of occasions - but not consistently - that's why I was a bit concerned. Sounds like it's just a matter of burn-in and get the right tips. Next pay-day I'm treating myself to some ACS custom tips - they should do the trick!

@KLS "warm" sound is what I wanted - I did quite a lot of research before choosing the IE8's but I had not seen that thread. It's good to know I'll have the right sound characteristics once the burn-in and tips have been sorted out.

Thanks again

The warmth of IE8 is why I like them:normal_smile :

May 3, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #6,261 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cYbernation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After owning the IE8 for a couple of weeks now, I'm still on the search for tips that fit my ears properly.
what should I try?
comply t(x)400 ?
I read something about the UE single flange tips?

Comply gives isolation and comfort, but takes away the mid and high. I found out this after extended ABing. How's the big bi-flange? Try doing some tip modding. There're a few thread abt it on this forum.

May 3, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #6,262 of 8,119
The UE SF tips are my personal favorite. Comply is just a ripoff scheme to extract money from your pocket.
wink.gif

May 3, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #6,264 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE SF tips are my personal favorite. Comply is just a ripoff scheme to extract money from your pocket. :wink:

Haha, I agree I really don't like the Comply tips either, plus they are like the ink in printers. :frowning2:

May 4, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #6,267 of 8,119
I don't know why people keep recommending the sony hybrids, those things are atrocious. Comfortable, yes, but the sound becomes awful; overblown, muddled and overbassy. You don't want the opening of the tips to be smaller than the opening/grill of the IE8. I use sony tips from about 11 years ago, from mdr-ex70's, and they are the best I've tried. They sit the phone at the right distance, and don't butcher the sound or the soundstage. The ultimate ears ones look to be similar, so I'd imagine they fit well and don't screw with the sound. If you want to see what they look like, I think sony still sells them under the code EPEX1; try amazon or J+R. The EPEX10A have sounded like ass on everything I've tried them on but the RE0, which didn't have much bass to begin with. FWIW, I couldn't stand the comply tips either, and had a hard time getting them off to boot.

May 4, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #6,268 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunderland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why people keep recommending the sony hybrids, those things are atrocious. Comfortable, yes, but the sound becomes awful; overblown, muddled and overbassy. You don't want the opening of the tips to be smaller than the opening/grill of the IE8. I use sony tips from about 11 years ago, from mdr-ex70's, and they are the best I've tried. They sit the phone at the right distance, and don't butcher the sound or the soundstage. The ultimate ears ones look to be similar, so I'd imagine they fit well and don't screw with the sound. If you want to see what they look like, I think sony still sells them under the code EPEX1; try amazon or J+R. The EPEX10A have sounded like ass on everything I've tried them on but the RE0, which didn't have much bass to begin with. FWIW, I couldn't stand the comply tips either, and had a hard time getting them off to boot.

Agree with you. I supposed that might be one of the reason why IE8 became kind of infamous for its mid bass hump and a sound signature that's too warm. With the right tip, it shines. But with Sony hybrid stuck on that huge nozzle, half of the opening is covered. It results in a sound that's too warm and muddy.

May 4, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #6,269 of 8,119
I use the Sony tips that came with my X's supplied iems. The aperture is larger and the tips are better quality than anything that came with the ie8s.

May 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #6,270 of 8,119
I love the sony hybrid tips but agree they really didn't work with my IE8, I ended up using a pair of UE large single flange tips, in fact I am still using that same tip now on my MTPC as well. It just fits my ear well and never impedes the nozzle of the IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back