Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #6,241 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, the Westone 3 highs are more prominent and more extended. I use the long Comply tips with the Westone 3s and the Comply T400s for the IE8s.

When I used foamies on IE8, it tends to make the midbass more prominent, and as such, it overshadows the mid and high. What I have now is a modded tip, using the tips that come with the fake IE8 before I got the genuine IE8. The fake tips have a stiffer tube, thus makes them easier to be modded.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #6,242 of 8,119
Just upgraded from IE7 to IE7, definitely enjoying the improvement in all parts of the spectrum. Especially liking the beautifully opened highs, sounds like a veil has been completely removed from my ears. The bass is pretty comparable, but the IE7 bass seems a little more boomy while the IE8 is just strictly on point. The mids sound better as well, with the vocals more clear and forward. I am now also able to make myself a nice U shaped curve on my EQ, instead of a more treble prominent curve.

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #6,243 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just upgraded from IE7 to IE7, definitely enjoying the improvement in all parts of the spectrum. Especially liking the beautifully opened highs, sounds like a veil has been completely removed from my ears. The bass is pretty comparable, but the IE7 bass seems a little more boomy while the IE8 is just strictly on point. The mids sound better as well, with the vocals more clear and forward. I am now also able to make myself a nice U shaped curve on my EQ, instead of a more treble prominent curve.

Congratulation on your purchase! A small typo there
icon10.gif

I thought IE7's bass is leaner compared to IE8? I only have IE8 though.

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #6,244 of 8,119
after a year and a bit of owning the IE8 (and loving them all the while) i unfortunatly experienced the right channel repeatedly cutting out :frowning2: no worries though, as even though i tested it myself to be the cable, Sennheiser replaced the entire set :-D

so the re-burn began, and i was sceptical of burn in before receiving my new set! what a difference, closed in muddy blah blah blah...

less than 10 hours later they are a different headphone!

So anyways I stumble across a thread where someone has modified (read destroyed) a set of shure foamies to fit the IE8, by simply de-coring them. Once i had managed this and fit them to the IE8 i was greeted with detail and clarity i have never heard from my previous IE8's. I used to use the large foams from the original kit as these were the only ones i could get adequate SQ with as i experienced lessened Bass and sibilance with many others, as well as the fact i couldn't get a seal with anything else :-s

with the shure tips fitted i did something ive never done with the IE8 - turned the tuning port up! only a little mind, they are now set at halfway between 1 and 2 after some listening tests with my range of music (always hand them set to lowest setting 1 with previous IE8s and the large foams)

so anyway the point of my post is these things are seriously incredible and dishing out the detail across the entire frequency range, especially bearing in mind im powering them direct from the headphone output of my Iphone 3gs, dont get me started on what they are like with 2496 from my PC to my DAC magic and thru the GS Solo! :-D

the only time my HD650's get a look in now is if i wanna hear a new CD as its 'supposed' to sound haha, although saying that, there aint much of a comparison between them for realism.

So yeah thats all folks!

Btw these things almost sound better than my B&W's until u get the pot round to floor shaking levels.....

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #6,245 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyranniux42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after a year and a bit of owning the IE8 (and loving them all the while) i unfortunatly experienced the right channel repeatedly cutting out :frowning2: no worries though, as even though i tested it myself to be the cable, Sennheiser replaced the entire set :-D

so the re-burn began, and i was sceptical of burn in before receiving my new set! what a difference, closed in muddy blah blah blah...

less than 10 hours later they are a different headphone!

So anyways I stumble across a thread where someone has modified (read destroyed) a set of shure foamies to fit the IE8, by simply de-coring them. Once i had managed this and fit them to the IE8 i was greeted with detail and clarity i have never heard from my previous IE8's. I used to use the large foams from the original kit as these were the only ones i could get adequate SQ with as i experienced lessened Bass and sibilance with many others, as well as the fact i couldn't get a seal with anything else :-s

with the shure tips fitted i did something ive never done with the IE8 - turned the tuning port up! only a little mind, they are now set at halfway between 1 and 2 after some listening tests with my range of music (always hand them set to lowest setting 1 with previous IE8s and the large foams)

so anyway the point of my post is these things are seriously incredible and dishing out the detail across the entire frequency range, especially bearing in mind im powering them direct from the headphone output of my Iphone 3gs, dont get me started on what they are like with 2496 from my PC to my DAC magic and thru the GS Solo! :-D

the only time my HD650's get a look in now is if i wanna hear a new CD as its 'supposed' to sound haha, although saying that, there aint much of a comparison between them for realism.

So yeah thats all folks!

Btw these things almost sound better than my B&W's until u get the pot round to floor shaking levels.....

Congrats on getting great sound from your IE8. I have been experimenting for quite a few weeks now, with different kind of tips, Sony hybrid, decored Shure olives...etc.

For me, the Shure olive, although it doesn't suck out the mids and highs like what the Comply foamies do, it's still not up to the performance of my own mod though, in terms of clarity and soundstage. Sadly, I bought a fake IE8(I got refunded, but I keep the fake IE8 anyway, with the tips). With it, came tonnes of fake tips. Basically my setup is like this:

fake big single flange->real small single flange->fake small single flange->big grey bi-flange inverted-> IE8 nozzle

I did try out a few mods using the Sony hybrid, but I found that I lose the tingling sensation when bass hits with them.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #6,246 of 8,119
I've read quite a few posts on this thread and there's a lot about fake IE8's which has got me worried. How can you tell the difference?

I bought a pair of IE8's (my first IEM) from Amazon about a month ago for £175 and they don't sound as good as I had expected, although my main problem is getting a good fit - despite all the different tips supplied. For this reason I haven't worn them much so they may not have had enough burn-in time.

So, my basic question is; do I have fakes or do I just need to burn them in and find the right tips for my ears (I'm thinking of getting ACS custom tips)?

Thanks

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #6,247 of 8,119
Did you buy them from Amazon.co.uk, or another seller that has a store on Amazon?

For the burn in, put some music on over night and leave 'em going. You don't have to listen to the music.

Getting a good fit is important too, though!

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #6,248 of 8,119
I bought them direct from Amazon.co.uk, ("Amazon EU") not another seller.

I'll start them playing now! Should this be done at a fairly high volume?

Thanks

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #6,251 of 8,119
Thanks for the links, I've checked them out and am now 100% positive mine are the real thing. Phew! My IE8's have delivered the magic I was looking for on a couple of occasions - but not consistently - that's why I was a bit concerned. Sounds like it's just a matter of burn-in and get the right tips. Next pay-day I'm treating myself to some ACS custom tips - they should do the trick!

@KLS "warm" sound is what I wanted - I did quite a lot of research before choosing the IE8's but I had not seen that thread. It's good to know I'll have the right sound characteristics once the burn-in and tips have been sorted out.

Thanks again

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #6,253 of 8,119
There a consensus on what the full size headphone equivalent would be for these? Maybe the Denon line? I've had my IE8 for a few months and I'm really liking their sound and would like something similar for my home setup.

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #6,255 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by bolinao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
Tinny sound,lack of bass,muddy sound...are these the symptoms of unburnt in IE8'S that are straight out of the box ??,i hope so..

Unfortunately... no, they shouldn't have a lack of bass or sound tinny even when not burned in. Either you've got a bad fit, or (hopefully not) a fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back