Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #6,196 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewisthemusician /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently use the Sennheiser CX 300 Mark II,

I bought the IE8's, will I notice a superior sound?

Also, whats is the actual difference between them? Would an amateur be able to hear a much better and clearer sound?

Yes you will be able to hear a noticeable difference in sound. The IE8 may not sound great when you first get them as they take at least 25hrs of use before they start to sound right. One you get past the initial breakin period they will start to sound better and will just improve with use for the next couple hundred hours. Having said all this I camne from another high end IEM to the IE8 so noticed the initial shortcomings alot but coming from the CX300 you may just plain find the IE8 to be awesome even out of the gate.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #6,197 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your source for your music and how long have you had the IE8? Finally what tip are you using?

I use 320kbps and flac for my music, directly from Ipod nano 5G to IE8...I used the comply foam t-400, but found that made the sound kinda muddy to my liking, so I followed some advice on head-fi to extend the tip(right now using inverted biflange and the small and medium rubber), and got much better sound out of it...Just wondering, do a lot IE8 users turn up the bass dial? at full, it seems too warm, and sometimes it clouds the vocals.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #6,198 of 8,119
I have my tuner port set to it's lowest setting. I use UE single flange large tips and they open up the sound ALOT. I have switched from my Ipod Touch to the latest gen Fuze and find the sound is much more sparkly and the sound stage is even larger, the mid-bass hump also is reduced. But others have had conflicting results so if you can try a Fuze it might be best unless you can get one from a store with a return policy. But I would try my tip suggestion first.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #6,199 of 8,119
I have actually been experimenting with the eq on my Cowon S9 and also with the bass dial. I currently eq 105 hz on narrow to 0, the other freqs I have eq'd up above that at various settings to my liking for different genres for general listening all leave all to 5 with wide on except for 105 which is on narrow and 0. I now also have set the bass dial all the way up, the bass is definately not overpowering and everything seems fluid, separation is excellent.
If eq'ing is an option definately try different settings to find one that is comfortable to you, I have not tried any tip mods yet and currently utilize the double flange tips included with the IE8's.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #6,200 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poimandres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have actually been experimenting with the eq on my Cowon S9 and also with the bass dial. I currently eq 105 hz on narrow to 0, the other freqs I have eq'd up above that at various settings to my liking for different genres for general listening all leave all to 5 with wide on except for 105 which is on narrow and 0. I now also have set the bass dial all the way up, the bass is definately not overpowering and everything seems fluid, separation is excellent.
If eq'ing is an option definately try different settings to find one that is comfortable to you, I have not tried any tip mods yet and currently utilize the double flange tips included with the IE8's.

I'm not familiar with the Cowon devices but I have some experience with EQ'ing nature sound recordings where I basically just copied the pro's! I learned that when EQ'ing, the highest peak should reach neutral (neither boosted nor attenuated), and everything else should be attenuated proportionally. Otherwise you're asking the device to "add" something to the sound signal. Unfortunately I don't have the technical knowledge to explain it any better than that, but I can hear the difference it makes (especially with quiet nature sounds). Therefore I would highly recommend anyone to follow this basic rule. Obviously you would then have to turn the volume up a bit to compensate, but that increases the amplitude of all frequencies equally so the sound quality should not be affected. Hope that helps.

I'm just getting used to my recently acquired IE8's and vary the bass setting according to what I'm listening to, but it's mostly rock / metal and #3
seems the best setting for that (with the soft double-flanged tips). Next on my list is custom ACS ear tips, then hopefully an iBasso D10 to bypass the noisy amp in my Edirol R-09 via the optical out - if I can ever afford it! But I must say that overall I'm mighty impressed with the IE8's - especially as I know I'm not hearing their full potential yet.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #6,201 of 8,119
I'm thinking about getting some IE8 as I'm looking for some shallow fit IEMs and these seem like the nearest thing to mobile HD650s.

But before I lay down the cash, I was wondering if Sennheiser's CX200/300/400 use the same tips and provide a similar fit? I'm very fussy when it comes to IEMs so would like to be able to test drive fit and comfort before I commit.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #6,202 of 8,119
Hello everyone.

I just got my Sennheisser IE 8 yesterday. No comment bout the phones thus far as it sounds like a 30$ earphones out of the box.

Anyone have this problem of background hiss sound whenever you plug in to computer speaker or any hi-fi . I don't get this problem when I plug it in to my Ipod touch 64gb.

Any experienced one can enlighten me, or did I receive a faulty unit from Sennheiser dealer which cost me about 459$.

Your help is tremendously appreciated and thank you in advance.

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #6,203 of 8,119
The IE8 have insanely high sensitivity and too low impedance, they hiss with pretty much every source - some more, some less. That's normal. You either have to use an amp that works with them (read, no FiiO or such, but a quality amp like the Arrow 12HE), or an impedance adapter, if you want to get rid of the hiss.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #6,204 of 8,119
Thank you for the information dfkt. Regardless, I do discovered some device that i initially cannot detect the presence of hiss hiss when the volume is raised to a higher setting .

Listening pop, rock, metal, rap, dance, techno are okay with ie 8 but not with classical or relaxation music as the hiss is far more than noticeable that destroy music indulgence and enjoyment.
triportsad.gif

Is there another way to get rid of this hiss instead of using amp and impedance adapter as I heard they can change the frequency response.

Furthermore, what's about sound stage ? Is good sound stage generally defined as you can listen , imagine a person, band, musical instrument playing in a 3d environment visually and spatially?

I can't really differentiate the soundstage quality with my 30$ earphones after 15hours of burn in but improvement of clarity of musica instrument separation and clear ,smoother vocal.

Once again thank you very much to dfkt and everyone.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #6,205 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by sam3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if Sennheiser's CX200/300/400 use the same tips and provide a similar fit?

The tips I'm using with the IE8 are the same type and size I use with my CX300s - they provide the best fit for me. Having said that, the IE8s are more difficult to fit correctly than the CX300s due to the shape of the earpiece and size of the stem the tip fits onto.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #6,206 of 8,119
Paquaries
do you here hiss with your touch?I think it is impossible because I have pretty sensitive ears and I don't here any kind of hiss except at very very low volume near zero and you should never hear any hiss with the touch at high volumes,this is pretty strange.if you use your ie8 while charging the touch,then you will here a strong hiss but otherwise there is no hiss to distract you from music at high or low volume.
If I use my ie8 out of any other source like computer or laptop,I hear very bad hiss that drives me crazy thus I only use it out of my touch.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #6,207 of 8,119
@ Midoo1990

Yes, I do hear very little hissing sound to null when music is being paused or switching to next song. However when music is being played it's 100% not noticeable.

Meanwhile hiss on 70% about 11 bars starts to generate hiss and 80% about 13/16 bars (as I can't quantify the scrolling volume) sound terrible and very noticeable. not to mention 14-16. Of course when your music are being paused within 5 seconds. You can go and try playing a music at your original volume you always played and immediately pressed pause and immediately scroll to 80% to max in 5< anything paused more than 5 sec will go into partial sleep mode( as i don't know what better words can be implied)is like paused evolved into stop button where everything is stopped.

I couldn't agree more that ipod touch give's me the least hissing sound compared to my hifi system, laptop, desktop speakers and etc.

Maybe you can try experimenting it and share the result with me midoo. Regardless, can you tell me how do you hear , listen, imagine or visualize the sound stage? It doesn't give me a 3d environment for example vocal singing 50m away and 90 degree while drummers 80m away 65 degree while bass and guitarist 30m away with 40degree and 140degree away assuming you are at the center of the origin. Or am I expecting too much? Although it's being played or as you guys defined burn in for 15hours<

For some reason about 4 or 5/16 bar which is about 30%+- is consider loud for me anything beyond 45% will caused damage to my eardrum and i can't image 50% . In addition out of 10 pairs of ear tips only the small foam tips can barely enter my ear and it hurts (pressure and burning sensation and I'm worried about it)when i listen to music for about 1 hours. Do you have any suggestion where i can buy 3rd party ear buds or tips
Thank you in advance.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #6,209 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tips I'm using with the IE8 are the same type and size I use with my CX300s - they provide the best fit for me. Having said that, the IE8s are more difficult to fit correctly than the CX300s due to the shape of the earpiece and size of the stem the tip fits onto.

Thanks. Are they close enough for one to get a feel for what the IE8s are like for comfort?

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #6,210 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by lc483 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, just picked up a pair of these today to try them out, and I have one question. Has anyone else experienced static when the plug gets swiveled around? I've tried it on my iPhone and my Clip+, and I'm getting a lot of static even when it just gently swivels. Haven't experienced this on any other IEM that wasn't already a few years old, but just curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi @lc483, I am using iPhone 3G with my IE8. Other than the noise (static?) when I plug/unplug IE8 into the iPhone's headphone jack, I don't find any static even if I swivel the IE8's plug around.

@lc483 again! I detached/attached the cable from from the housing today (just out of curiosity, wanna have a look at the connector's pin as I have never detached them since I got them), and I experienced exactly what you have described. I tried to detach/attach the cable again, and the problem is solved. I suspect that was becuase of loose connection of the pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back