Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #6,062 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightrhyme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi trying to gather info on the IE 8's and found several good reviews apart from this praising thread .

One review however came out very different: Sennheiser IE 8 : Roundup: 16 Headphones

Are they just deaf or what's you guys opinion on their conclusion ?

Thanx in advance

I disagree with just about everything in that review. The bass control isn't hard to use at all, you just have to have the little tool (huh huh) with you. Out of the box, the bass is definitely overwhelming, but the reviewer doesn't mention how long he listened to the IE8s or if he tried any non-stock tips (eBay biflanges or Sony hybrids in particular are pretty balanced to me). I'm not sure if I believe in burn-in or burn-out past the 100 hour mark, but it definitely seems to exist in the first 20 hours or so, and it definitely tames the bass.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #6,064 of 8,119
Quote:

Hi trying to gather info on the IE 8's and found several good reviews apart from this praising thread .

One review however came out very different: Sennheiser IE 8 : Roundup: 16 Headphones

Are they just deaf or what's you guys opinion on their conclusion ?

Thanx in advance

I personally strongly disagree with that "review". I don't know how they were hearing sound like that. Probably they had too deep of a seal. No way would I describe the sound of the IE8s as midrange-less and dominated by treble and bass.

Sure, the bass is a bit more than your average IEM, but the midrange is very smooth and the treble is well balanced. It doesn't roll off; instead it extends very far and presents it in a relaxed and easy manner.

Maybe they just don't like the Senn sound, since they didn't like the IE6 or IE7 either.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #6,065 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which custom tips did you get? Do they really not sound as good as the Sony hybrids? I like the hybrids, but I feel like there's a bit of clarity missing and the bass (after about 50 hours of burn-in) can sometimes be a bit too strong. I do like their comfort and general sound sig, but I'm thinking of getting ACS tips if they're a clear leap above the hybrids or eBay biflanges.

I got them from listenhear/Starkey. With customs you're gonna get a perfect seal so the bass is only going to get stronger if anything. The overall sound gets thicker for me when I use the customs.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #6,066 of 8,119
Nothing is going to get rid of that bass hump. For me, with custom tips, the rest of the frequencies come up some way toward meeting it. Put another way,the custom tips enable the strengths of the 8's to come to the fore. The IE8's remain a hugely flawed 'phone IMO. The fact that there are so many posts advising endless tweaking speaks for itself.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #6,067 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing is going to get rid of that bass hump.

Well, a decent parametric EQ helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #6,068 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Into the sauce a little to early this morning? The graph clearly shows this starts at 10Hz and continues to about 200Hhz; with the biggest difference less than 100Hz.
wink.gif

Ah I mean it starts at 200hz and extends downwards to the lower frequencies. Pehaps this is not a proper way of describing, sorry for my bad English
ph34r.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #6,069 of 8,119
Quote:

But do they lack midrage with stock tips ?

What you mean by lacking midrange? Recessed? I don't find the midrange to be recessed, or too forward/in-your-face. It has a pleasant warmt, thick yet smooth to me. However, I do agree that the bass sometimes intrude in the midrange. But burn-in changes them and they really grow in me! And yes this is based on stock medium silicone single flange tips.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #6,070 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah I mean it starts at 200hz and extends downwards to the lower frequencies. Pehaps this is not a proper way of describing, sorry for my bad English
ph34r.gif

No problem dude...I was only joking!
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #6,074 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, a decent parametric EQ helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

A fair point well made.
bigsmile_face.gif
I do not think that you should have to correct the sound sig of a £200 'phone though. As it happens I like my iPod. What plyer would you reccomend that has a parametric EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back