Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #5,656 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by evillamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, coming from Um3x to try out the IE8 was like switching from a Mercedes E class to BMW M class(smooth running engine vs racing engine). Totally different.

Love the car analogy. But, I'm assuming you've had experience with both of those rides to make the comparison?? If so, call me exceedingly jealous that you got to drive an M. Grrrrrrr...
very_evil_smiley.gif
I'm sure that would make my little VW R32 feel slow and rather pedestrian!
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #5,657 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3) tips! Soundsignature varies widely according to what tips I used.l And my ears/nusic/taste is not yours. Experiment. See my sig for my preference.

I am having trouble finding a good fit with the stock tips with the IE8's. I see in your signature you say "sony large hyrids over small senn tips" Could you explain that a little? How did you get them "over" the small tips? Maybe take a photo? Where did you buy the Sony Hybrid tips?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am just now on a relentless quest to find the tips that work for me.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #5,658 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have them for about 7 months now and I too won't upgrade,I loooooooove them so much.I also bought the hd650 and they are on their way,I sold the k701 I couldn't handle the sharp treble,the dark laid back senns sound signature is my thing,I think I am a fanboy now
biggrin.gif

Could you make a comparison when you receive the HD650's? I am wondering how the ie8's compete them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #5,659 of 8,119
About the tips, this is the first IEM that has a wider speaker 'exit', so you need to make sure it doens't get blocked halfway. Otherwise you'll get a dull sounding IEM. Foamies like Comply don't work for me, as they already have a smaller exit compared to the IE8. So the only ones that do work are the ones from Sennheiser. It's the first time for me, tips do make a difference in soundquality.

About burn-in, after like 1 hour I was familiair with the sound, and it's a very transparant and energetic IEM. The CX400II is no match really, even though it also has a dynamic driver design.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #5,660 of 8,119
About the tips, this is the first IEM that has a wider speaker 'exit', so you need to make sure it doens't get blocked halfway. Otherwise you'll get a dull sounding IEM. Foamies like Comply don't work for me, as they already have a smaller exit compared to the IE8. So the only ones that do work are the ones from Sennheiser. It's the first time for me, tips do make a difference in soundquality.

About burn-in, after like 1 hour I was familiair with the sound, and it's a very transparant and energetic IEM. The CX400II is no match really, even though it also has a dynamic driver design.

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #5,661 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ok1907 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you make a comparison when you receive the HD650's? I am wondering how the ie8's compete them
smily_headphones1.gif

Ofcourse,I will,2 days and they arrive in my hands
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #5,662 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree about tips which let the wide nozzle 'breathe'. Sony Hybrids really seem to choke off the soundstage. I have good luck with the hard foamies & double flange tips from Sennheiser, but especially UE single flange silicone tips. They can be ordered at many of the online retailers, such as soundearphones and earphonesolutons... I recommend giving those a try. I noticed a significant opening up of the soundstage and treble. They really make the IE8's a much more open, less dark IEM, to my ears.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #5,663 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree about tips which let the wide nozzle 'breathe'. Sony Hybrids really seem to choke off the soundstage. I have good luck with the hard foamies & double flange tips from Sennheiser, but especially UE single flange silicone tips. They can be ordered at many of the online retailers, such as soundearphones and earphonesolutons... I recommend giving those a try. I noticed a significant opening up of the soundstage and treble. They really make the IE8's a much more open, less dark IEM, to my ears.

In contrast, I find my UE single flanges introduce an unpleasant level of harshness to the IE8s' upper-mids/highs, which my Sony hybrids smooth out without otherwise compromising the sound quality. Just another instance of "different tips for different ears," I suppose...

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #5,664 of 8,119
^^ Very true, very true!
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess perhaps the smooth sound signature of the Sony X is helping counteract that.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #5,665 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having trouble finding a good fit with the stock tips with the IE8's. I see in your signature you say "sony large hyrids over small senn tips" Could you explain that a little? How did you get them "over" the small tips? Maybe take a photo? Where did you buy the Sony Hybrid tips?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am just now on a relentless quest to find the tips that work for me.

Hi. I bought the hybrids somewhere on the internet, but a search should he The productnr is EP-EX10A.
You can get them from Amazon: Amazon.com: Sony EPEX10A/BLK Hybrid Replacement Earbuds (Black): Electronics

Basically I put the senntips inside the hybrids, so that the surround the stem of the hybrids. I then put the IEM8 stem inside the hybrids, the senntips are only filling the hybrids. Fitting them on the IEMs is a little bit fiddley but it can be done.

No pics I'm affraid, right now I'm on a monthlong vacation in Malaysia, the weather is much better here.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #5,666 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Recently, I tried the single flange UE tips and they are the best tips I've used thus far for the IE8. It really opens up the sound and the treble sounds brighter. Thanks for the tip (pun intended) CN11!!

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #5,667 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ssions-430955/

Did you try the tip mod by decay?

For my IE8s its a little different though. I stack the sennheiser half bi flange (backwards) first, follow by small sennheiser single flange and then finally medium UE single flange. If you don't have the UE single flange, you can use your sony hybrid or the sennheiser medium single flange instead.

You have to wear them the way down instead of over the ears with this mod. And wearing the left driver on your right ear and right driver on your left ear. As you insert this mod into your ears, try to rock the drivers forward and backward till you achieve a good (You can never achieve a excellent seal in an ie8) seal.

It work wonders for me. Hope that helps
normal_smile .gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #5,668 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently, I tried the single flange UE tips and they are the best tips I've used thus far for the IE8. It really opens up the sound and the treble sounds brighter. Thanks for the tip (pun intended) CN11!!

You're welcome, the difference was that dramatic for me as well. It is funny how one tip will work for some, and not others. I guess that's why it is important to amass your collection of 'tips for every occasion', and experiment with all options available to you when trying IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back