Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #5,641 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, sorry to rain on your parade. Unfortunately, no matter what anyone else says, IEM's do not exhibit soundstaging. Soundstaging is a term reserved for speakers. It is the term used to describe the impression of where the instruments are placed on a stage. Some full-size headphones exhibit some form of soundstaging, but a more correct term for headphones (especially IEM's) is "headstaging". With headstaging it is possible to place instruments in their place, but if you pay attention, those instruments are in different parts of your head. It is easier to place instruments in a specific place when the recording is acoustic, as in classical or jazz music. The brain can tell when and where sound is coming from, and unfortunately with IEM's, the drivers are placed way too close to the cochlea to fool the brain into thinking that the sound is coming from somewhere outside the head. As far as I am concerned, true "soundstaging" would be the next holy-grail of headphone and IEM design, but so far, it has yet to be convincingly accomplished. Ultrasone has made a feeble attempt with its S-Logic engineering but I don't believe any full-sized headphone is anywhere near as convincing as speakers for producing soundstaging. With IEM's, soundstaging is even more compromised.

I totally agree with you on the ‘sound stage" matter on DAP or IEMs. Just have a arguing with a headfier on this. He also described with narrow soundstage with one DAP.

Yes, Sound stage is reserved to used in speakers. davidhunternyc has explain very clearly. even with earphone or earbuds, the left or right earphone are still too closed to tell the sound stages.

To some inexperienced listener,with some DAPs or earphones, adding in some echo effect to make the listener feel the sound stage is wider.

other important thing i think is that with iems or DAPs, the so called soundstage or even the headstage is not the most importante standard of the sound quality.

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #5,642 of 8,119
Just Googled this off Wikipedia, which seems like a good simple explanation.

Soundstage of a sound recording

Soundstage also refers to the depth and richness of an audio recording (usually referring to the playback process). According to audiophiles, the quality of the playback is very much dependent on how one is able to pick out different instruments, voices, vocal parts, etc. exactly where they are located on an imaginary 2D or 3D field. This can enhance not only the listener's involvement in the recording but also their overall perception of the stage.

As said, the preserve of really high end speakers, set up in an acoustically favorable room. IME.
I have been a bit baffled by all the talk of huge soundstage from the IE8's.
Wishfull thinking/hearing IMHO!
smile_phones.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #5,643 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree with you on the ‘sound stage" matter on DAP or IEMs. Just have a arguing with a headfier on this. He also described with narrow soundstage with one DAP.

Yes, Sound stage is reserved to used in speakers. davidhunternyc has explain very clearly. even with earphone or earbuds, the left or right earphone are still too closed to tell the sound stages.

To some inexperienced listener,with some DAPs or earphones, adding in some echo effect to make the listener feel the sound stage is wider.

other important thing i think is that with iems or DAPs, the so called soundstage or even the headstage is not the most importante standard of the sound quality.

Lol,if you say so..I have alot of words to respond to your post,but I don't want to debat with you again.......

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #5,645 of 8,119
OK so I now have my IE8 and am reasonably sure they are not fake so thought I would share some impressions and ask a few questions.

First off these are really comfortable to wear
smily_headphones1.gif
. Second off when properly inserted they sound very nice, I love the treble detail and the midrange is very nice (not to forward but not recessed either), and the bass is very present. They are quite a bit like my HD600 actually.

So thats the good news, the bad news is I am having fatigue issues! I initially tried the double flange that came with the phones and loved the sound but was deaf after taking them off (I have issues with ear fatigue from treble). I then tried the large standard tips and they were more comfortable and about the same for detail but had the same fatigue issues. I tried the black foamies but they ruined the sound. I then tried my trusty Sony Hybrids and they reduced the treble making the IE8 less fatiguing but ultimately unsatsifying due to their restricted hole size. I then grabbed a pair of giant double flange tips I got with my Beta Brainwavz review IEM's and they seem to allow the detail I am wanting but without the fatigue. I have two pairs of biflange tips coming in from Ebay, I hope they are the same as this tip.

So my questions are for average_joe in regards to the tip extender.
  • Is it designed to be deep insertion or is it actually designed to create more distance between the IEM and the ear, allowing the treble to remain detailed but less fatiguing?
  • Does this mod cause the IE8 to stick way out of the ear?

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #5,646 of 8,119
what i was i put smaller tips the opposite way under sony tips then put the sony tips on the IE8

now the tips is a bit more extended and better seal

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #5,647 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK so I now have my IE8 and am reasonably sure they are not fake

Is there an abundance of fake IE8's out there or something? Just wondering because I am going to be buying some.

EDIT: I see the thread now. Nevermind.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #5,648 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK so I now have my IE8 and am reasonably sure they are not fake so thought I would share some impressions and ask a few questions.

First off these are really comfortable to wear
smily_headphones1.gif
. Second off when properly inserted they sound very nice, I love the treble detail and the midrange is very nice (not to forward but not recessed either), and the bass is very present. They are quite a bit like my HD600 actually.

So thats the good news, the bad news is I am having fatigue issues! I initially tried the double flange that came with the phones and loved the sound but was deaf after taking them off (I have issues with ear fatigue from treble). I then tried the large standard tips and they were more comfortable and about the same for detail but had the same fatigue issues. I tried the black foamies but they ruined the sound. I then tried my trusty Sony Hybrids and they reduced the treble making the IE8 less fatiguing but ultimately unsatsifying due to their restricted hole size. I then grabbed a pair of giant double flange tips I got with my Beta Brainwavz review IEM's and they seem to allow the detail I am wanting but without the fatigue. I have two pairs of biflange tips coming in from Ebay, I hope they are the same as this tip.

So my questions are for average_joe in regards to the tip extender.
  • Is it designed to be deep insertion or is it actually designed to create more distance between the IEM and the ear, allowing the treble to remain detailed but less fatiguing?
  • Does this mod cause the IE8 to stick way out of the ear?

Glad you got the real deal! EDIT: didn't check your post here before I wrote that...that symbol does look different than mine
eek.gif

That fatigue thing stinks. I do rudimentary tests on my IEMs to see how high I can hear the treble, and the IE8 is the only IEM I have ever tested that reached above 17K, hitting an audible 19K for me! Wow! But with burn in (and the right tips), the mids and treble are silky smooth along with exceptional texture/micro detail of the instruments. How I hear it is the details BAs bring out, but with a smooth presentation of a dynamic driver!
  • Designed to create more distance, which for me increases the transparency, brings the mids forward a bit, extends the soundstage, and increases the clarity and instrument separation.
  • Yep, sticks out. I would say they stick out with the tip mod about the same/slightly more than the CKS70.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what i was i put smaller tips the opposite way under sony tips then put the sony tips on the IE8

now the tips is a bit more extended and better seal

That may work also. Didn't work for me because the Sony tips don't give me a seal, and I just couldn't get it to work with tips that did give me a seal.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #5,649 of 8,119
I did a quick store audition(15min) of the IE8. And to be honest, I was left unimpressed by the overall sound:

Bass: Powerful, but overwhelming(unbearable) in some bass-heavy music(lowest bass notch)
Mids: Yes I loved the sound staging and the smooth presentation
Treble: I'm not sure if it's a fitting issue but the treble is way too veiled. It sounded like the concert was behind the curtains.
Isolation: Very poor in my books. I can hear people talking with the music playing
No gold plated plugs for a high-end iem?
Using the D10 amp only made the bass even more stronger, thus more overwhelming.

Equipment used:
Iphone 3.5mm Jack & also Ibasso D10.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #5,650 of 8,119
Which tips were you using? the tips have a significant effect on how the IE8's sound.

Before I was using the stock medium single flanged silicone tips. However, I switched to a tip that came with a fake sony ex700 that i bought off ebay, which was like $5. These tips have a narrower opening, but enough to cover the whole area of where the sound comes out of the IE8s. What I found was an extension of the treble, a tighter bass that is not too overwhelming, and a bigger soundstage. I recommend them, but only if you fit a medium stock tip.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #5,651 of 8,119
I bought these this week and switched to some Sony tips - to me they're better than any that come with the ie8s.

I'm not 100% sure that I like the ie8s - I may get the SE530s at some point.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #5,652 of 8,119
I have the IE8 for more3 then 6 months now and the day I loose them is the day I'll get an new set.
After some years of trying IEMs these killed all desire to upgrade. But there are caveats:
1) get the real ones.
2) burn them in for at least 12 hours; they might chance after that as well, but that is the monment for me tonality got balanced.
3) tips! Soundsignature varies widely according to what tips I used.l And my ears/nusic/taste is not yours. Experiment. See my sig for my preference.
4) taste. I love bass a little bit loose, treble never sharp, my fav DAC is a NOS with a tube. If your sound-signature preference f.i. is a sharp, analytical sound, the IE8 will never be satisfactory.
5) source. Goes without saying.

The tricky points are probably 3 and 4. One man's great IEM is another mans boredom or headache. Tip experiments are a pain in the *ss that you shouldn't hav re to get through.

But for me, they are my taste and I got the right tips for m y ears, I love their solid build, seperate cable, and, most of all, their lovely sound.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #5,653 of 8,119
It is a nice idea that someday, someone will fix this forum and the world will be an even better place.
In other words, double post.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #5,654 of 8,119
I have them for about 7 months now and I too won't upgrade,I loooooooove them so much.I also bought the hd650 and they are on their way,I sold the k701 I couldn't handle the sharp treble,the dark laid back senns sound signature is my thing,I think I am a fanboy now
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #5,655 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the IE8 for more3 then 6 months now and the
4) taste. I love bass a little bit loose, treble never sharp, my fav DAC is a NOS with a tube. If your sound-signature preference f.i. is a sharp, analytical sound, the IE8 will never be satisfactory.
5) source. Goes without saying.

The tricky points are probably 3 and 4. One man's great IEM is another mans boredom or headache. Tip experiments are a pain in the *ss that you shouldn't hav re to get through.

Yeah, coming from Um3x to try out the IE8 was like switching from a Mercedes E class to BMW M class(smooth running engine vs sports engine). Totally different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back