Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5,581 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisssssssss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, what are all of you using as tips for the IE8? Currently, I am using a de-cored comply under a large sony silicon sleeve(not a sony hybrid). It works fine, but im wondering if there's anything better. Any suggestions?

I used to use that setup long ago until I found the one in my sig. Adds transparency, soundstage width and depth, and brings the mids forward.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #5,582 of 8,119
where r u guys getting these silicon sleeves? I got some comply's and destroyed 3 pairs of them by tinkering around with diff techniques. Could anyone post some pics of how to do this or what it ends up looking like? Sorry if I am being a dunce.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #5,583 of 8,119
Jan 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #5,584 of 8,119
The sony silicon sleeves I use are the Sony EPEX1's.

Using comply foam under a silicon sleeve involves first taking out the plastic tubing out from the comply tip, leaving only the foam intact. Then, you place the silicon tip on through the back end of the foam tip where you would normally place it on the earphone. After that, you compress the foam and slip the silicon sleeve(with the foam under it) on the earphone, leaving you with a silicon sleeve with foam underneath.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #5,587 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can click on the link in my signature for my current tips, which explains everything. Here is a pic of my foam under silicon tips I used to use.

Where did I get my silicon sleeves:
Sony
UE
Skullcandy
ebay double flange

Thanks for the links dude, I'm prolly going to get some UE tips for my IE8 from SoundEarphones. I tried the medium tips that came on the Triple.Fi 10, and they were really better than the stock Senn silicone. Better isolation and fit thanks to the more rigid/firm material. IMO the stock Senn tips are too flimsy which is why they isolate poorly.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5,590 of 8,119
I have an older 160 GB iPod and the IE8s sound fine out of this, or my iPhone 3G. Amping will improve them, but isn't required to get good sound. Your iPod should be fine.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #5,591 of 8,119
I know these IEM sound good un-amped (so I'm fine at work with the laptop), but I'll probably use at home too, with my current setup, so a squeezebox duet and a dac. Problem is I can't drive with my dekstop amp, so I need a 'hole' where to plug to my IE8! Any ideas?

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #5,592 of 8,119
Any opinions on Keeping the SE530 AND the IE8 overkill? (I bought them both to test em out and see which one to keep, They are both good at different things.

Also, any good cases for IEM's? The one that comes with the IE8's is horrible..

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #5,593 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTD131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any opinions on Keeping the SE530 AND the IE8 overkill?

This is head-fi...Owning two pairs of top-tier IEMs is underkill.
icon10.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #5,594 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am likely going to purchase some IE8's but was wondering what they sounded like unamped. I am using a 160 GB iPod Classic. Any thoughts?

They are incredible unamped...lush, detailed and just plain awesome (although they do get better when amp'd).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back