Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #5,536 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure someone already asked this, but this thread is long. Please allow me to ask,
Which full size headphones sound similar to IE8? Thank you.

HD650, which I also didn't like as much as my other phones.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #5,537 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something interesting occurred to me. Some reason I feel the IE8 has better sound quality unamped (ipod) than amped. Whenever I plug them into an amp, it seems to make the bass much more boomy and many of the frequencies blend too much.

Does anyone else get this? It's kind of counter intuitive.

I share the same sentiments. The IE8 isn't a good match with the FiiO E5, it makes them sound a little bloated.

Amping them with a Mini3 on the other hand yielded great results, tightened up the overall signature quite a bit, which I liked.

My Mini3 is bulky though, so I still prefer using the IE8 unamped out of my iPod nano 3g and Sansa Clip+.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #5,540 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 sound nothing like IE8 to me, they're as different as night and day to my ears. HFI-780 or DT770 sound like IE8 to me.

X2 for me!

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #5,541 of 8,119
I would like to hear a stock cabled HFI-780 and compare it to the recabled one I have, as well as the IE8. Because I like my Mogami recabled 780's quite a bit better than my IE8's... Although the IE8's are a reasonably close approximation of their sound in an IEM. They're my two favorite phones in my collection.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #5,542 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to hear a stock cabled HFI-780 and compare it to the recabled one I have, as well as the IE8. Because I like my Mogami recabled 780's quite a bit better than my IE8's... Although the IE8's are a reasonably close approximation of their sound in an IEM. They're my two favorite phones in my collection.

I wonder what the 780's would have sounded like with the recable. My default cabled ones were so great at first to me, then after more and more time they sounded so shrill/sibalant. I wasn't willing to spend the cash on the recable so I sold them eventually. When I first had them..after a few hrs burn in..they sounded very similar to the Ie8 to me. Love the looks of them too. I don't get enough use out of full size cans, so the cheaper cost ath-m50 are fine for me.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #5,543 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what the 780's would have sounded like with the recable. My default cabled ones were so great at first to me, then after more and more time they sounded so shrill/sibalant. I wasn't willing to spend the cash on the recable so I sold them eventually. When I first had them..after a few hrs burn in..they sounded very similar to the Ie8 to me. Love the looks of them too. I don't get enough use out of full size cans, so the cheaper cost ath-m50 are fine for me.

Yeah, I wonder if the recable has gotten rid of any sibilance/harshness... I've read much about the 780's bite in stock form, but don't hear anything of the sort with my pair. They're very nicely detailed (much more extension on the top end than the IE8's), but no hint of harshness or sibilance anywhere.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #5,544 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find that there's a vast difference between the stock HFI 780 and the Recabled versions especially in the bass and treble and transparency. The recabled versions have much more controlled bass and the highs are in no way close to being as metallic and irritating as they were when stock. IE8 is a good notch above the stock versions.

The recabled versions did quite a bit of things better than the IE8 particularly where "instrument textures" and layering are concerned. They were more articulate, had better instrument separation and soundstage depth and transparency. They were also more neutral sounding. The IE8 are a lot smoother with a more extended treble but perhaps not as detailed and prominent in the lower treble. I still found the recabled versions to be quite recessed in the midrange. The Midbass hump of the ie8 give vocals a bit more "chest" that I perceived as having more presence. I didn't part ways with the Recable HFI 780 because I was dissapointed in the SQ but more so because it was too uncomfortable. I also still found the IE8 to have a more musical sound signature.

P.S My HFI 780 were Apuresound V3 recabled.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #5,545 of 8,119
Interesting to know.
It's funny why I even try to get a great sounding full size can. I will go weeks w/o listening to it. I think the biggest reason I always want a fairly good pair is so than when I want a friend/family member to hear something..I want them to hear it as best as I think they should...when in fact in most cases they would find stock headphones to sound fine. It's been about 7 years since I bought my first pair of Iem's and I just find them to be the best solution/sound for me. Can't very easily let your Uncle Leo on Thanksgiving hear a great tune with your Iem though!!

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #5,546 of 8,119
I just got the Shure se530 and IE 8,

trying to decide between the two, as the both have advantages and disadvantages. I was hoping that I could get some feedback from u guys.

1. the plug makes a static sound when turned
2. the cord seems flimsy relative to the se530, is it really that durable?

Spending this much on iem's makes u want the to be made well to boot, hence my questions.
I got em for the same price over at headphone.com and am burning in the IE8's now to test sound a little better later...

thanks in advance!

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #5,547 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTD131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the Shure se530 and IE 8,

trying to decide between the two, as the both have advantages and disadvantages. I was hoping that I could get some feedback from u guys.

1. the plug makes a static sound when turned
2. the cord seems flimsy relative to the se530, is it really that durable?

Spending this much on iem's makes u want the to be made well to boot, hence my questions.
I got em for the same price over at headphone.com and am burning in the IE8's now to test sound a little better later...

thanks in advance!

1. clean off the plug with a cloth and a bit of rubbing alcohol, I had the came problem before but now no more static
2. the cable is really lightweight so it gives the impression of being flimsy, however based on research through the forums, the IE8 cable has yet to have any problems while there are documented problems with the SE530 cable

Both are great IEMs though. I own the IE8 and my best friend owns the SE530 so I get to hear both a lot and love them both, but I really think it comes down to personal preference of sound signature.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #5,549 of 8,119
1. As you use it, it will stop making static-y noises when moved.
2. The cable is one of the best I've seen. The SE530, like ksu06 mentioned, is infamous for it's cable problems. I've not seen anything like that regarding the IE8s. The cable is flexible and soft, but it truly seems durable. Plus, replaceable if any problems arise.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #5,550 of 8,119
thanks, I will give it a try
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back