Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #5,521 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there Headphony, sorry to see your dissapointment in the IE8. I've reiterated this at great lengths............ but my hunch would be that folks complaining of the prominent bass may be trying to achieve too much of a seal...

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried the IE8's with a number of earpads and found too that without a tight seal, the bass is significantly diminished. It seemed that the overall performance and resolution was also diminished without a good seal, though. It's just likely that the IE8's are not my cup of tea - being so bass averse as I am. Should have done more research before buying.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #5,522 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound has since deteriorated further due to buildup of earwax and pocket lint on the screen in front of the driver. Trying to clean the outside of the screen doesn't solve the problem.

I resolved this by removing the grills altogether.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #5,523 of 8,119
Got my IE8´s yesterday and after some burn-in i can say that i´m not getting that much bass, although i got a perfect seal.. i also noticed that when i try to pull them out my ears a little, the highs get really distorted and the mids and the bass are almost completely gone.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #5,524 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried the IE8's with a number of earpads and found too that without a tight seal, the bass is significantly diminished. It seemed that the overall performance and resolution was also diminished without a good seal, though. It's just likely that the IE8's are not my cup of tea - being so bass averse as I am. Should have done more research before buying.

My experience with the lighter sealing is quite different from yours in that whilst the bass presence diminished, the overall clarity/transparency improved. I think its very well likely that they're not your cup of tea.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #5,526 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonnieRock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Everyone,

You think most people that have issues with the Sennheiser IE8's being too "bassy" and lack of treble have counterfeits/fakes?

Mine do not have this issue.

Thank you,
Monnie

I don't think the "bassy" issue is down to people having fakes. The IE8s do have a lot of bass emphasis and that's just not to some people's taste.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #5,527 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonnieRock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Everyone,

You think most people that have issues with the Sennheiser IE8's being too "bassy" and lack of treble have counterfeits/fakes?

Mine do not have this issue.

Thank you,
Monnie

Although anything is possible...I would think it's more of everyone's ears/tastes are different.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #5,528 of 8,119
I received counterfeit IE 8's some weeks ago now, I think around this time last month. My claim on paypal is almost finished and I should have my money back by the 9th. The counterfeit ones never got opened and thus never entered my ears. I was very happy to never hear that that trashy garbage in my ears. Now a month later I sit here comfortably in front of my computer with Genuine IE 8's in my ears. They really are a treat to listen to, quite spectacular actually. I've never heard a better IEM but then again I've only owned the Shure E4g's and I'm 16 so I can't really buy a bunch, then sell them and keep the one I like the best. I'm barely into break in thus far, I doubt I've even reached the 9 hour mark that people rave about and I still absolutely love them. Well worth it already. I can certainly see where it should improve over the burn in but it doesn't bother me to much. If you really want a treat for your ear that you can take anywhere and not get strange looks for wearing over the ears then get the IE 8's because they sound like over the ear anyways. Sound stage and separation is incredible and I find really good clarity in almost whatever I am listening to. I could go on and on. Sorry if this short review is lame. I haven't had a high quality IEM for quite a while and I just recently got into all the terms and descriptions. If you have considered them, just buy them already. Go authorized dealer or go home though. I am 90% sure you will get screwed without one.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5,529 of 8,119
Something interesting occurred to me. Some reason I feel the IE8 has better sound quality unamped (ipod) than amped. Whenever I plug them into an amp, it seems to make the bass much more boomy and many of the frequencies blend too much.

Does anyone else get this? It's kind of counter intuitive.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #5,530 of 8,119
Something interesting occurred to me. Some reason I feel the IE8 has better sound quality unamped (ipod) than amped. Whenever I plug them into an amp, it seems to make the bass much more boomy and many of the frequencies blend too much.

Does anyone else get this? It's kind of counter intuitive.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #5,533 of 8,119
I know it's not really an amp but I noticed that plugged into my x-fi sound card(decent card, better DAC then my iPhone 3G S obviously)the IE 8's bass sounded wrong at some points, the type where there is a high frequency almost caused by the bass, I do not have this problem with the iPhone.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #5,534 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by YGuyG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it's not really an amp but I noticed that plugged into my x-fi sound card(decent card, better DAC then my iPhone 3G S obviously)the IE 8's bass sounded wrong at some points, the type where there is a high frequency almost caused by the bass, I do not have this problem with the iPhone.

YGuyG,

Make sure you have the bass boost turned off and, make sure cmss is turned off. Also all the eax / environmental effects are off. Are you running in normal performance mode mode or high performance mode. It changes the bit rate and sampling rate. The conversion can cause artifacts.

Thank you,
Monnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back