Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #5,506 of 8,119
Hi there, lately I've also been wondering. I just re-read HPA's review on the W3. I did audition the W3, but my mere experience with it was insufficient for me to form a concrete impression. What I had concluded in that brief time were all the points that the IE8 excelled in.

However, reading some of the rave reviews on W3, will there be reduncancy in having both IE8 and W3?

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #5,507 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by geralt_ll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, lately I've also been wondering. I just re-read HPA's review on the W3. I did audition the W3, but my mere experience with it was insufficient for me to form a concrete impression. What I had concluded in that brief time were all the points that the IE8 excelled in.

However, reading some of the rave reviews on W3, will there be reduncancy in having both IE8 and W3?

I find them to be different and not redundant. if I couldn't have both, I'd choose the W3 1st.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #5,509 of 8,119

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #5,512 of 8,119
I just thought it was funny how your second post appeared after I had already replied to it. I thought I was going crazy until I opened up both pages of posts and saw that.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #5,513 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try this:

AudéoWorld PFE Shopping Cart

...or this.
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #5,514 of 8,119
Hello Everyone,

Got my Sennheiser IE8's.
atsmile.gif
Currently doing burn-in. Very happy with the product. Will comment more after burn-in.

If you are interested to see photographs of genuine product contents, you can see on my post HERE.

Thank you,
Monnie

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #5,515 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonnieRock /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are interested to see photographs of genuine product contents, you can see on my post HERE.

Thank you,
Monnie

While I've already gotten my pair from razordogdeals (I can vouch they are real), some nice big photos are, I'm sure, greatly appreciated in these parts for those thinking about diving in. Cheers!

D.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #5,516 of 8,119
I've had the IE8's for about 6 months now and couldn't be much more disappointed. First impression was that the bass quantity was far too much even on the minimum bass setting. That hasn't changed despite playing around with different earpads and sources. The sound has since deteriorated further due to buildup of earwax and pocket lint on the screen in front of the driver. Trying to clean the outside of the screen doesn't solve the problem. Now they sound only about as good as AKG K81DJ's. I can't really sell the earphones either because they sound like such garbage. Next I'll probably try REO's, ER4P's, or Image S4's.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #5,518 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the IE8's for about 6 months now and couldn't be much more disappointed. First impression was that the bass quantity was far too much even on the minimum bass setting. That hasn't changed despite playing around with different earpads and sources. The sound has since deteriorated further due to buildup of earwax and pocket lint on the screen in front of the driver. Trying to clean the outside of the screen doesn't solve the problem. Now they sound only about as good as AKG K81DJ's. I can't really sell the earphones either because they sound like such garbage. Next I'll probably try REO's, ER4P's, or Image S4's.

Try this, from a previous post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by toffeefan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apologies for interrupting the conversation. Just found this interesting topic about iem maintenance in:
Cleaning In Ear Headphones - Headphones - abi>>forums

As mentioned by one of the guys inside, a good method to clean the metal mesh found in iems like the IE8 are as follow:

"Get some Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) solution from local pharmacy. Pour a little out to a small and shallow container, make sure it is just enough to submerge the grill for 1~2mm. Dip the grill into the solution and wait for 3 minutes or so (this will dissolve the wax). Wash the H2O2 away by dipping the grill into clear water (also 1~2mm). Repeat process a few times until you are satisfied.

Be careful not to allow any liquid to get inside, always hold the earphone in the grill-side-down position till you 100% sure all liquid is dried. A way to ensure this is to dip the grill into 100% alcohol (again 1~2mm) as the last procedure, as any water left inside the housing will be washed away by the alcohol while alcohol left inside will dry very fast."

Any of you guys tried this before? My main worry is that the hydrogen peroxide will corrode the plastic nozzle of the IE8. If not, this is certainly a very good way in cleaning the mesh without disassembling the IE8.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #5,520 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi there Headphony, sorry to see your dissapointment in the IE8. I've reiterated this at great lengths............ but my hunch would be that folks complaining of the prominent bass may be trying to achieve too much of a seal. I've argued and will continue to maintain that these phones sound far better with a light seal where the phones are just "peeking" into your ear canals. However, it seems that some folks have achieved great success with varying tip configurations that allows for great sound and good seal. Perhaps you can check those out but I'd still say loosening the seal will take care of the bass problem.

I have compared IE8 ( lightly sealed) to ER4P(a phone notorious for being reticent in the bass) and I have found that bass quantities tcould be made quite similar with the Ie8 having the better impact. I guess what am trying to say is that I can understand how they can be be bassy but they don't necessarily have to be that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back