Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #5,476 of 8,119
Skullcandy silicon tips are very stiff and work well for me. They are the stiffest silicon tips I have. UE tips are also a little stiffer than standard tips, maybe slightly stiffer than the Sony tips, and definitely stiffer than the stock IE8 silicon tips.

The tips that work best for me are in my sig. It seems to work for some people, but not others though as many people say they are going to try it, but few comment. Before the tips in my sig I had comply foam under silicon tips, which really increased the isolation and gave me a great seal.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #5,477 of 8,119
Skullcandy silicon tips are very stiff and work well for me. They are the stiffest silicon tips I have. UE tips are also a little stiffer than standard tips, maybe slightly stiffer than the Sony tips, and definitely stiffer than the stock IE8 silicon tips.

The tips that work best for me are in my sig. It seems to work for some people, but not others though as many people say they are going to try it, but few comment. Before the tips in my sig I had comply foam under silicon tips, which really increased the isolation and gave me a great seal.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #5,478 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A few weeks ago I pm'd Joe about the particulars of this mod. I went to my local hardware..(home depot is big city travel) and bought just 1 ft of the tubing..cost me 27 cents! I meant to let Joe know of my opinion but got sidetracked. I use medium Ue single flange..fits over the tubing with ease. I would prefer the small tips as my ears are a bit small for the medium, but they don't want to go on the diameter of the tube very well.
For starters I think this is a fantastic mod..I so wish the Ie8 and W3 had the longer nozzle of the Se530! I have never been one to have the right words for describing what I hear, but I know this is a huge improvement for me. First thing I notice is that they stay in my ears much better than w/o. Then I just hear more of everything good! As Joe sais..the bass is still there just tighter and smoother. The highs really seem smoother to me. I have been really listening to the new album by a band called Needtobreathe. The ie8 sounds fantastic with the vocals from the get go, but now they just shine. I feel every emotion in the songs. I think it really improved the already amazing soundstage.
As far as the ie8 sticking out too far, that is not an issue with me.. I barely notice. The only thing I wish I could improve is being able to use a smaller tip. But anyone curious about this mod...at a mere 27cents..there abouts if you have a hardware that sells by the ft..it's highly worth trying. Thanks to Joe for taking the time to post the nice "how to" guide in the sig.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #5,479 of 8,119
The only tip mod that I did, which resulted in perfect fit for me, was to initially put on the medium funky two-tiered silicone thingie, then I placed the large sillicone tip over the first tier. This holds the large tip in place, and extended the tubing about a quarter inch or so, which is all I personally needed.

I'm sure others have tried this, right?

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #5,480 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few weeks ago I pm'd Joe about the particulars of this mod. I went to my local hardware..(home depot is big city travel) and bought just 1 ft of the tubing..cost me 27 cents! I meant to let Joe know of my opinion but got sidetracked. I use medium Ue single flange..fits over the tubing with ease. I would prefer the small tips as my ears are a bit small for the medium, but they don't want to go on the diameter of the tube very well.
For starters I think this is a fantastic mod..I so wish the Ie8 and W3 had the longer nozzle of the Se530! I have never been one to have the right words for describing what I hear, but I know this is a huge improvement for me. First thing I notice is that they stay in my ears much better than w/o. Then I just hear more of everything good! As Joe sais..the bass is still there just tighter and smoother. The highs really seem smoother to me. I have been really listening to the new album by a band called Needtobreathe. The ie8 sounds fantastic with the vocals from the get go, but now they just shine. I feel every emotion in the songs. I think it really improved the already amazing soundstage.
As far as the ie8 sticking out too far, that is not an issue with me.. I barely notice. The only thing I wish I could improve is being able to use a smaller tip. But anyone curious about this mod...at a mere 27cents..there abouts if you have a hardware that sells by the ft..it's highly worth trying. Thanks to Joe for taking the time to post the nice "how to" guide in the sig.

Great to hear that it works well for you, thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, my store only sells 10ft lengths for several $. But I needed it for something else, so no problem!

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #5,481 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ok1907 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi folks. How do IE8's compare to full size headphones from sennheiser? I mean, what full size headphone can match the performance of IE8's? Anybody compared them to hd595-600-650 etc.? Or other full size haedphones from differents brands?

Don't know about the HD600/650 but, even out of the box with little burn-in, they blow the HD595 out of the water. I found the HD595s to be very flat and lifeless without EQ but the IE8s are far more lively and an absolute joy with classical music. I only received them this morning but have hardly taken them off all day
bigsmile_face.gif
. Can't wait for burn-in to improve them even further.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #5,483 of 8,119
I think I must've been suffering from "new toy syndrome" yesterday so take the comments with a pinch of salt. I still think the IE8 are very good but I did some A/Bing with the HD595 this morning. The latter are more detailed and airier but the IE8 are more forgiving of older recordings and a bit livelier with a smoother treble on choral works which sound harsh on the HD595.

At the risk of heresy the IE8 currently sounds to me like a much more refined version of the CX300 - similar sound signature at least. This of course after only a few hours' burn-in.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #5,485 of 8,119
I received my k701 2 days ago and although they blow the ie8 out of the water in every area,the ie8 can compete in soundstage with the k701!the 701 soundstage and air involved in the music is breathtaking, it is very wide and 3D,you just feel like you are in the concert hall.ie8 has more bass impact and it is better for metal than the 701 but the 701 bass is very controlled,punchy,never bloated like the ie8.however this is ofcourse not a fair comparison,I am just sharing my impressions,neverthless the ie8 will remain one of the best iem out there.

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #5,486 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I must've been suffering from "new toy syndrome" yesterday so take the comments with a pinch of salt. I still think the IE8 are very good but I did some A/Bing with the HD595 this morning. The latter are more detailed and airier but the IE8 are more forgiving of older recordings and a bit livelier with a smoother treble on choral works which sound harsh on the HD595.

At the risk of heresy the IE8 currently sounds to me like a much more refined version of the CX300 - similar sound signature at least. This of course after only a few hours' burn-in.

I am a firm believe in burn in for the IE8, having heard an improvement in not one, but two IE8s. And the improvement was very big IMO. Let us know if there are any updates.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #5,488 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, would the IE8 cables be damaged if u don't use the ear hooks? because the wires are bending at the top without em. I don't use the hooks because they are not comfortable :/

I think using the IE8s without the earhooks is fine. The cables are fairly thick and resilient. I personally thought the earhooks were a bit of a pointless waste of time when I tried them.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #5,489 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I quickly found the Sennheiser ear hooks too bulky and rigid to be of use, IE8 the cord tends to slip off the tops of my ears on its own. For me, the best solution is in the Phonak Audéo silicone ear guides, which are much lighter and far less obtrusive than Sennheiser's offering.

Got these Pfe ear guides in the mail today. I've only wore them a short while..but man do they make the Ie8 feel more secure in my ear. I never tried the Senn ear loops cuz they looked far too bulky. The Pfe ones though seem pretty sweet. Using with the Ue silicon tips..they feel very nice and feels like I don't have to adjust them every little bit. Will post further with more use. Thanks epithetless...

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #5,490 of 8,119
I'm considering buying the IE8s but I have a couple of questions and the tread is a but long to look for the answers, so I hope you dont mind answering them again
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound isolation is very important for me because I will use them in public transportation (train and bus), so how good is the sound isolation?

I lisen mainly lisen to pop, house, R&B and rock (both indi and classic), so its a wide rage of music genres, so how do they to with all these different kind of music?

and last I'm planing to use them with my ipod (2gen) and my Nokia E72 and I'm not planing to use and amp. How will they do in this senario? will and amp do abig differens?

Regards,
Cooker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back