Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #5,326 of 8,119
I've searched this thread for the keyword 'sibilance', and most results are about how the IE8 aren't sibilant at all, compared to Westone 3, Sony EX700, etc.

Lately I've started to realize that my IE8 actually suffer quite a bit from sibilance - not so much with cymbals, hi hats, and such, but rather almost all male and female voices sound like they're in dire need of a de-esser.

So I'm pondering if it's just me, if it's because the novelty/wow factor of the IE8 has worn off and I see them without rose colored glasses, or if there's indeed a magical burn-in fairy that sends the IE8 on a sonic rollercoaster ride. I can't remember hearing any sibilance with the IE8 right out of the box - they sounded just excellent from the first minute on, none of the "sounds like crap" as many people seem to experience their fresh IE8.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #5,327 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great! Now I'm even more anxious to get my IE8s! Arghh...
From what you mentioned, they are even better than the W3s in terms of the mids and highs? Whoa, these have got to be one of the best universal IEMs, if not the best.

I prefer them to the W3s, yes their bass and soundstage are the best, but the mids prize goes to the SE530s and the highs go to the Westone 3s. I just prefer the overall presentation and laid back sound of the IE8s.

However, when noise isolation is needed, I usually go for my ER-4Ps or SE530s.

Cheers.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #5,328 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've searched this thread for the keyword 'sibilance', and most results are about how the IE8 aren't sibilant at all, compared to Westone 3, Sony EX700, etc.

Lately I've started to realize that my IE8 actually suffer quite a bit from sibilance - not so much with cymbals, hi hats, and such, but rather almost all male and female voices sound like they're in dire need of a de-esser.

So I'm pondering if it's just me, if it's because the novelty/wow factor of the IE8 has worn off and I see them without rose colored glasses, or if there's indeed a magical burn-in fairy that sends the IE8 on a sonic rollercoaster ride. I can't remember hearing any sibilance with the IE8 right out of the box - they sounded just excellent from the first minute on, none of the "sounds like crap" as many people seem to experience their fresh IE8.

Something to do with tips?

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #5,330 of 8,119
Quote:

I take it from your question that you don't experience any sibilance?

To answer your question: No, I've been using Super.Fi tips all the time, only tried the stock tips for ~5 minutes, and Sony Hybrids for a day. My fit/seal is consistent.

No, the ie8s are my "go float on a cloud" earphones. I've never heard any kind of harshness from them. Perhaps you should go back to some previous earphones to reset your ears.
I am lucky enough to have several excellent earphones so I can rotate them regularly and rediscover the finer points of each.
Hope you can work it out.
Sandy.

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #5,331 of 8,119
Quote:

I take it from your question that you don't experience any sibilance?

To answer your question: No, I've been using Super.Fi tips all the time, only tried the stock tips for ~5 minutes, and Sony Hybrids for a day. My fit/seal is consistent.

I have a feeling it may be recording or source dependent. Do your other phones exhibit sibilance with those same tracks?

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #5,332 of 8,119
Thanks for your replies, guys. I think I'm just having a few "bad sound days". I've had a cold and a slight flu, and actually no music sounds overly engaging to my ears at the moment. I think it's indeed mostly psychological/physiological "sibilance". I've just noticed it more with the IE8 than the UE11, because of the IE8's slightly brighter and superior treble.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #5,333 of 8,119
Quote:

Thanks for your replies, guys. I think I'm just having a few "bad sound days". I've had a cold and a slight flu, and actually no music sounds overly engaging to my ears at the moment. I think it's indeed mostly psychological/physiological "sibilance". I've just noticed it more with the IE8 than the UE11, because of the IE8's slightly brighter and superior treble.

Seriously? I'm not doubting you because I've never heard the UE11 (poor college student
smily_headphones1.gif
) but I always thought the ie8s sounded a bit dark, especially with the foamies. Does that make the UE11 super dark?

On another note, how well do the Electric Avenues PA2V2 synergize with the ie8s? Will they brighten my phones up?

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #5,334 of 8,119
I find the IE8's treble to be on the somewhat bright side. Of course everybody defines these terms very subjectively, everybody has a different mental image when he hears 'dark' or 'bright'. For me, the IE8 have a realistic bass response, solid midrange, and slightly forward treble. For the overall sound that makes them neither dark nor bright for me, it's rather a nice natural equal-loudness contour to my ears.

As for the PA2V2, I haven't heard any amp that actually changes the sound of a phone to 'brighter' or 'darker' - it would be a rather bad amp if it would 'EQ' the phones and not provide a flat frequency response. I've sold my PA2V2 a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure the IE8 (or rather, the player used with it) wouldn't benefit from it in any way.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #5,335 of 8,119
Quote:

I think I'm just having a few "bad sound days".

My experience is that the burn in process is not necessarily one of linear improvement. Sometimes it actually sounded worse before it got much better.

The only sibilance I ever heard was on Bruce Springsteen's Working On A Dream. But that record is specifically mastered to sound horrible IMHO.

Quote:

For me, the IE8 have a realistic bass response, solid midrange, and slightly forward treble. For the overall sound that makes them neither dark nor bright for me, it's rather a nice natural equal-loudness contour to my ears.

Quote:

I really can't say enough good things about the custom tips/molds

It was your recommendation that pushed me over the edge. I agree, the result is a transformation.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #5,337 of 8,119
I've had my IE8's for about 4 weeks now. In that time the sound has transformed from good to great. I own the IE7, and liked the sound from them, but these do really take things to another level. I did notice a lot of change in sound throughout the burn in, however the phones seem to have settled down now after close to a few hundred hours burn in.

There are a couple of things that have come to my attention regarding these phones though:

1. Tips make a massive(!) difference - probably more so than other IEMs I've used. A day ago I switched from the stock double flanged medium tips to a single flange clear silicone tip (which I got with a plantronic headset). The sound has completely changed with this, making the treble much more crisp and sparkly - giving the whole presentation a lot more bite and clarity.

2. The sound outputted by these iems really do change a great deal depending on the player. Simply from switching between my iphone 3GS to my laptop I have noticed a big difference in the way the sound is presented. The 3GS seems to give better treble response however the laptop gives a lot more texture to the overall sound and the IEM seems to be a lot more at ease in its presentation. Very hard to explain, but it seems that out of the laptop these IEMs handle music better ..(!) I'm now considering getting a portable amp for my iphone 3gs. Any ideas?

Anyway its safe to say I am very happy with these phones they make a great successor to my UE Triple Fi Pro

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #5,338 of 8,119
Definitely not hearing any sibilance on my IE8 regardless of tips and or amp/unamped.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #5,339 of 8,119
Anyone tried to 'upgrade' the IE8's sound image by adjusting theangle of the phones directing into the ears? I mean adjusting the phones by hand?
It was awful to realize how precise these little cans they are when pointed in the right direction.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #5,340 of 8,119
i think the right earpiece on my IE8 is losing volume. it's kind of not balanced. i say "kind of" because it is more prominent on some songs. the bass on my right earpiece cant compete with the left one at all. i've tried almost eveything to isolate the prob and concluded it is the earpiece itself. i'm gonna enumerate:

-switched earpieces to the cables and wore it straight down.
-tried different sources(only have 2, sansa clip+ and zen stone+)
-it's not my right ear, the left earpiece has good volume and bass on it
-not the songs, i tried mostly bass heavy electronica songs(massive attack, prodigy) and the bass on those are thumping and balanced
-i've had colds and cough for the past 3 weeks now, and to my surprise it doesnt really affect the listening experience. no volume loss or anything like that.
-experimented with almost all tips. from small to large, single and double flanges. so it's not the fit.

also one thing to note, i get the best balance when i wear it the right way, over the ear, left earpiece on left cable, right w/ right. but i still do get a significant amount of bass more in my left ear.

anyone else have this experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back