Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #5,147 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they have arrived. And I must be honest, they are being somewhat dwarfed by the Triple.fi's.

Don't get me wrong, they sound really nice, especially nice for a single dynamic driver. But they seem to be missing "something", Im not sure what that something is. Space? Depth? Clarity? Its something that the triple.fi has that the IE8's don't but I can't quite work it out yet.

That said, I wouldn't put anyone off them. They are really smooth, warm-sounding earphones.

This is an interesting perspective for me because conversely, I have had my IE8's for a while now and received the Triple.Fi 10 Pro's two days ago. I'm very impressed by the Trip's but I can't say that they leave the IE8's in the dust. These are two very different sounding phones to my ears.

This is so subjective but the IE8's just sound more natural to me. When I state this, I'm aware that my points of reference are full-sized headphones and loudspeakers that utilise dynamic drivers to create sound.

The IE8's sound cohesive rather than separated; analogue rather than digital. The Trip's sound signature is antithetical to the IE8's. Both do what they do remarkably well. I think they're both excellent IEMs and it's because they render the same music so differently, that they also complement each other so well for me. I'm chuffed to have both of them.

I can only echo sebhuber's advice by suggesting that you give yourself some time to adjust to the more 'organic' sound signature of the IE8. All of the details are there with the IE8, they are just presented differently.

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #5,148 of 8,119
Nice to see some of the hate vanish from this thread. With a bright amp i now have the IE8 at the middle position. It's still tight, but has more low bass and actually doesn't increase the mid-bass. Sometimes I have a feeling that there are some pretty weird designs of the IE8, but it has somehow become a perfect IEM when you just use it the right way.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #5,149 of 8,119
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say the triple.fi's are objectively superior or anything. The ie8's are great, if I hadn't already had the TF10's I probably wouldn't have any issue with them at all. They're definitely smooth and involving, some stuff sounds amazing through them, especially if its electronic or good old 80's pop.

The soundstage is excellent as well but I think, weirdly, its one of the things that puts me off. I think I'm more into the "immediacy" of the TF10's rather than the laid back sound.

Still though, I'm going to keep them around for now and keeping trying them out with different things. I need to experiment with the tips as well, getting a good fit has been a bit of a nightmare so far. I'm one of the 12 people in the world who the TF10's fit really well.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #5,150 of 8,119
Apologies for interrupting the conversation. Just found this interesting topic about iem maintenance in:
Cleaning In Ear Headphones - Headphones - abi>>forums

As mentioned by one of the guys inside, a good method to clean the metal mesh found in iems like the IE8 are as follow:

"Get some Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) solution from local pharmacy. Pour a little out to a small and shallow container, make sure it is just enough to submerge the grill for 1~2mm. Dip the grill into the solution and wait for 3 minutes or so (this will dissolve the wax). Wash the H2O2 away by dipping the grill into clear water (also 1~2mm). Repeat process a few times until you are satisfied.

Be careful not to allow any liquid to get inside, always hold the earphone in the grill-side-down position till you 100% sure all liquid is dried. A way to ensure this is to dip the grill into 100% alcohol (again 1~2mm) as the last procedure, as any water left inside the housing will be washed away by the alcohol while alcohol left inside will dry very fast."

Any of you guys tried this before? My main worry is that the hydrogen peroxide will corrode the plastic nozzle of the IE8. If not, this is certainly a very good way in cleaning the mesh without disassembling the IE8.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #5,151 of 8,119
thats weird, i´ve had the Triple.fi 10 pro, and i do agree they they are faster and more accurate, i think that the price is too high, the sound is too thin for a IEM of that calibre and price, aswell as the horrible usability (shape and cable),

i dont regret selling my Triple.fi for the IE8, i like it better,

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5,152 of 8,119
Hello everyone,
Is anyone who knows for sure if Ultimate Ears superfi\triple.fi cable headphones fit on IE8 headphone? Please post someone who realy try this because i have a replacement cable UE super.fi and must know if keep this for IE8 or not .. Many thx!

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #5,154 of 8,119
I am just waiting for Null Audio to finish off their high end IE8 cable. I'd love to hear if a true audiophile cable would help the SQ of the Senns.....

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #5,156 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by obituary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but why not fit? the 2 pin of UE cable jack is to small for IE8 holes headphones? or distance between pins is big then ie 8 distance between holes?

_MG_4430.jpg_w580_h387.jpg

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5,158 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats weird, i´ve had the Triple.fi 10 pro, and i do agree they they are faster and more accurate, i think that the price is too high, the sound is too thin for a IEM of that calibre and price, aswell as the horrible usability (shape and cable),

i dont regret selling my Triple.fi for the IE8, i like it better,

I wouldn't describe the Triple.fi 10 Pro as sounding thin and I'm coming from the SE530's with their forward and lush midrange. I'm finding the TF10P to be a balanced sounding phone with great clarity, separation and soundstage.

I also disagree that they are priced too high for a top-tier IEM. The IE8's are considerably more expensive where I live, and have recently undergone a significant price rise that would put them even further out of reach for most people.

I picked up my TF10P's for less than I paid for the other top-tier IEMs that I have purchased and I think that they well deserve to be counted amongst them.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #5,160 of 8,119
actually acording to sennhaiser documentation, thats the large foamie,

as for the guy who wants to fit super.fi/triple.fi cables on his IE8,

WHY ? the IE8 cable is amazing, its soft, it low tangle, low microphonics, the IEM sounds good, its very resistant, its the best cable i´ve seen so far on a IEM,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back