Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #5,057 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone compared the IE 8 to the HD600 cans? I already have the HD600 cans so I'm wondering if it would be a waste buying the IE 8 considering the majority of my listening is done at home.

Thanks

I haven't heard HD600 yet hybwolf, but from everything I read about it, it sounds like going from your HD600 to IE8 would be a pretty lateral move and somewhat of a waste unless you want the portability without losing SQ.

HeadphoneAddict has extensively listened to IE8, HD600, and HD650 and has reported in this thread on multiple occasions the differences between them. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that IE8 was a little closer to HD650 than HD600 as it has more bass. He also mentioned to a question I asked of him that a stock HD600 would be a lateral move from IE8, but that HD600 with a nice upgraded cable would be an upgrade over IE8. I would suggest clicking on the "search this thread" option and doing an advanced search for posts from HeadphoneAddict that include the words HD600 and IE8. I think you'll find several instances where this was discussed and you can rely on the info IMO.

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #5,058 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I'd get in early, seeing that as soon as these are released in the US, there will be a flood of reviews / opinions threads... I picked these up from Amazon (UK) at a good price of $275 (converted) - They've been burning in for just over 24hrs now... so - preliminary thoughts as below
smily_headphones1.gif

There are ten types of tips (single / double / serrated flange, and 'Olive' tips) that come in the box, along with a shirt clip, carry case and bass adjuster tool... For me personally, the best fit is the medium double flange, but - your mileage will vary, and it will make a BIG difference as to how you hear these IEMs, so you definitely will need to experiment to find the right tips for you...

Comfort is very good, moreso than that of the Shure E5x0 and UE TF10, and more snug than the Sony EX700, cable microphonics are very low - the cable is about halfway in thickness between the Sony and Shure cables, so flexible, but without feeling like they'll snag very easily - To me personally, the cord could do with being 1.5m rather than 1.2m, but I'm splitting hairs there.

The tonal quality can be best described as a happy halfway house between the Shure E5x0 and UE TF10... The IE8s have a certain amount of warmth in the midrange (although not as rich as that of the Shures) but have most of the treble extension of the TF10s (without being harsh / sibilant like the Sony EX700). Bass extension is deep and tight even on the minimal setting of the bass adjustor, and whilst not quite as defined as the EX700s, is still crisp, and if you have never heard the EX700, you will not notice the lack of bite as they still sound great, easily on a par with the Shure/UEs...

Talking of that bass adjustor... It definitely works, these IEMs can be VERY bassy, but - to be honest, I believe them to be bassy enough on the minimum setting (although this is definitely a case of YMMV)

Where the IE8s really set themselves apart is first of all with their airiness... Listening to Sia's live set, her voice is holographic in the soundscape, well seperated from the busy musicians around her... at no point yet have I heard the IE8s lose control, even on complex tracks, these still pick everything apart, laid bare for you to hear... The other way that the IE8s really excel is their power handling - These can be driven harder than any of the other IEMs that I have mentioned here, and still want to give you more... It really does appear that diaphragm based earphones are back on top!

All isn't quite perfect though... The nickel jack plug (rather than the customary gold tip) is a bit of a let down, as contact definitely is not as good as you would expect (spinning the plug in the jack can lead to crackling - something I haven't heard for a few years!!), the other negative point of note is the bass adjustor - there are little notches showing the levels of base, but the 'tuner' itself is totally analogue. By that, I mean that there are no clicks when you reach the levels, so there isn't accurate matching other than at minimum and maximum (although I really have no idea just how much this would matter... Someone with a scope would need to verify if this really makes any difference)

As mentioned in the title of this thread, these are only brief opinions, and most definitely not a review... If anyone has any specific questions, please post them below, and I will do my best to answer until these IEMs become more readily available...

One final point of note - All listening at this point has been done with a 3G iPhone, just from the headphone jack - I personally am not that keen on lugging an amplifier along as well, although maybe later, I will plug the IE8s into my microamp and see how they fair...

I can definitely see these IEMs as a new FOTM, and also as a new contender of best universal IEM - They really are that good - Sennheiser may well be late to market, but - it looks like they have done their research!!
smily_headphones1.gif

will ie8 bass outdo the supferfi 5 eb,, ive been looking far and wide for an iem to better the bass output of the ue superfi 5 eb, tried westone 3, triplefi 10, to no avail,,,? also i do the ie8 bass power and punch outdo Monster Turbines, JVC-Victor FX500, Audio Technica CKS70. ?????
------anyone please help if youve tested these,,, im about to get the atrio m5 which is way cheaper, but everyone speaks highly of its low end output
smily_headphones1.gif

mainly interested in non customs as i feel even with customs, id still have uncomfort after long periods of usage

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #5,060 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will ie8 bass outdo the supferfi 5 eb,, ive been looking far and wide for an iem to better the bass output of the ue superfi 5 eb, tried westone 3, triplefi 10, to no avail,,,? also i do the ie8 bass power and punch outdo Monster Turbines, JVC-Victor FX500, Audio Technica CKS70. ?????

the ie8 bass power is similar to that of the fx500 but the punch is different.the fx500 bass is very natural,extremly controlled and have that great punch that goes very low and deeper than the ie8.the ie8 bass have a great power and punch to it but not as controlled or natural as the fx500.try to imagine the bass of the fx500 like a ball that is full of air and when you bounce it,it sound punchy and controlled,while the ie8 bass is like a ball that is not all full of air and when you bounce it,it feels bloated and uncontrolled.(engineering does strange things to me..
biggrin.gif
).overall,if you want a deep superb bass,then go for the fx500,it is it's area and what it does best.hope that helps.

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #5,062 of 8,119
If you have an amp that tightens up IE8 bass though, you can have almost as much of it as you want with the bass knob and it will still be tight, extended, and well controlled. Without an amp they tend to be mid-bass heavy. I still wouldn't call them bloated when they are fully burned in though.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #5,064 of 8,119
I haven't heard fx500 but have heard positive things about it. I have been wearing my ie8 with a shallow non-seal fit since shortly after I got them though. With tight, sealed fit though bass is absolutely bloated and diand domineering. I forgot how bad they can be with a traditional iem seal though so I would def agree in that respect. Ie8 bass is night and day better with an amp though that has good synergy with them. I wouldn't mind comparing it to fx500 if I had a chance though.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #5,065 of 8,119
Mmm...I'm thinking of upgrading my cans. But I believe somewhere on here or on some other topic it was written that the IE8s were similar to the HD600 and HD650s? If so, there wouldn't be much point in gettin' 'em aye?

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #5,066 of 8,119
I can't seem to get a nice seal on anything else aside from the Sony Hybrids... The problem is, I need to give it to my brother. For now, I can't find any other difference as of now between the Sony EX500 and the IE8 aside from the bass.

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #5,067 of 8,119
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ssions-430955/

Did you try the tip mod by decay?

For my IE8s its a little different though. I stack the sennheiser half bi flange (backwards) first, follow by small sennheiser single flange and then finally medium UE single flange. If you don't have the UE single flange, you can use your sony hybrid or the sennheiser medium single flange instead.

I feel it sounds the best with the bass knob at 2.5 out of the 5 settings. You have to wear them the way down instead of over the ears with this mod. And wearing the left driver on your right ear and right driver on your left ear. As you insert this mod into your ears, try to rock the drivers forward and backward till you achieve a good seal.

This is by far the best tip configuration for me with amp3 as my source.

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #5,068 of 8,119
^ The trick with the IE8's is to not try and achieve a "great seal". They need some, shall we say "leakage" in order to sound at their best. It might evoke an unattractive image but it's the best I can do at the moment. Try to give them some air rather than block them into your ear canal.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #5,069 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by toffeefan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ssions-430955/

Did you try the tip mod by decay?

For my IE8s its a little different though. I stack the sennheiser half bi flange (backwards) first, follow by small sennheiser single flange and then finally medium UE single flange. If you don't have the UE single flange, you can use your sony hybrid or the sennheiser medium single flange instead.

I feel it sounds the best with the bass knob at 2.5 out of the 5 settings. You have to wear them the way down instead of over the ears with this mod. And wearing the left driver on your right ear and right driver on your left ear. As you insert this mod into your ears, try to rock the drivers forward and backward till you achieve a good seal.

This is by far the best tip configuration for me with amp3 as my source.

That's gonna be hard to wear outside. Haha

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #5,070 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's gonna be hard to wear outside. Haha

Not really. As you see, decay's mod have 4 tips stack on top of each other, so they will protrude out quite a bit. But if you stack 3 together, its not that obvious. And with this mod, i find that i achieve a good seal (not excellent, as compare to triple flange of er6i etc..). When i wear it outside when music are not playing, i can still hear ambient noise.

No harm giving it a try though, as you don't have to buy any additional tips and it only take a few minutes to assemble. You can always disassemble them if you find them not to your liking. You never know unless you try
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back