Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #4,891 of 8,119
Wow, I didn't realise there was a new way to burn-in earphones...

I shall try this on my Denon C710s, see if I can find the love in them that others have...

wink.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #4,895 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DP but I only clicked once, honest.

Must've been the microwave messing with your wi-fi?!?

How did your burn-in experiment change the sound? hehehe

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #4,896 of 8,119
Microwaves are great for burning in; then insert the phones immediately and they mold themselves to your ears, in effect making them customs.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #4,897 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Microwaves are great for burning in; then insert the phones immediately and they mold themselves to your ears, in effect making them customs.

Hey, that's a great idea...haha

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #4,898 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

good luck trying 2 pull them out of ur ear
tongue_smile.gif

too bad you'll want 2 burn in ur drivers, microwave only melts the casing *doh*

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #4,900 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I didn't realise there was a new way to burn-in earphones...

I shall try this on my Denon C710s, see if I can find the love in them that others have...

wink.gif

Be careful with the C710, it has a metal casing
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #4,902 of 8,119
I found a local store selling them for only 240 USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
also contacted to Sennheiser, and they confirmed the store bought IE8's from them!
I cant believe it, put me in the owners list from now
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #4,903 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by hamedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a local store selling them for only 240 USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
also contacted to Sennheiser, and they confirmed the store bought IE8's from them!
I cant believe it, put me in the owners list from now
biggrin.gif

Why so cheap? Any impressions? hehe

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #4,904 of 8,119
For zackw419 who asked me how I liked the IE8 and to compare with the C710:

I had my IE8s replaced and just started burning them in Sunday (wanted to A/B them with someone local that had a burned in IE8, but no takers). The nozzle broke and it wasn't a clean break. But before I sent it in the sound was really veiled compared to the C710. This new one is not veiled like the other one. Not sure what caused it, broken nozzle, burn out (2000+ hours), overcome with ear wax, I just don't know.

And this second one doesn't sound as bad as the first one did out of the box.

First, I use this configuration for my tips. This helps bring the mids forward, widens the stage, brings the details out, and makes them more transparent. Negative is they stick out!

Comparing the new IE8 (with the same tips) to the C710 (my previous IE8 was slaughtered by the C710):
- C710 kills the IE8 in deep bass. IE8 goes deep, but looses steam compared to the mid-bass frequencies.
- C710 bass is faster.
- Both are have great bass impact, but the frequency of that impact is different (IE8 maybe around 100Hz, C710 maybe around 40-50Hz). Both can be too bassy at times, but to me especially the C710 with soft music that has some bass, as the C710 can make that bass overpower the song (not distort the other parts of the spectrum, just make me say whoa boy, easy on the bass, I am trying to relax).
- IE8 has a wider soundstage by a little to a good amount, depending upon the songs/albums I listen to. Trance offers the widest soundstage and the largest difference. But other music can also sounds very wide with the IE8. If they had an IEM that had the same soundstage, mids, and treble but the mid and deep bass of the C710, I would be in heaven!
- IE8 is warmer and darker than the C710. However, the C710 is on the warm side (just the right amount for me).
- IE8 treble is the smoothest treble I have ever heard. The mids are up there with the very best I have heard. My current IE8 isn't there yet, but still not bad at all.
- Piano sounds warm and so great with the IE8.
- C710 has a lot more treble energy
- C710 has more clarity (easier to pick out the details) but is not as smooth. The details are there with the IE8 though.
- IE8 has the best cable I have used, the C710 is the worst at tangling. Lay it flat next to another cable, leave the room and when you come back it is tied in a knot around itself and the other cable (not really, but close).
- My previous IE8 did better at low volumes than any other IEM I have ever used, haven't tried this new one yet. I could listen at near zero volume when there was no background noise and still get the same sound signature. Nothing else I have comes close.

I do have to give the IE8 more time to burn in to be fair. If I listened to primarly acoustic music (jazz, piano, classical, etc) I would chose the IE8, but with my mix I kinda like the C710 a little better.

However, my current #1 is the Mingo WM2 silver. Great deep bass, mids and treble are very good, but not quite as smooth as the IE8. Soundstage is a little narrower, similar to the C710.

When I have around 250 hours on the IE8 I will update.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #4,905 of 8,119
Gosh I really miss my IE8s haha. Both C710 and FX500 are exceptional phones but they still don't quite make me forget am wearing IEMs, stop analyzing and just enjoy and groove with the music like the IE8s does

Users who are viewing this thread

Back