Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #4,861 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I wear them straight down as well and prefer them that way. I don't like the over ear fit as the feel of wires around my ears annoys me, especially with IE8 since the drivers are so big and angled.

I initially found the best fit using the large regular silicons that came with IE8. Once I got a lot more time in with IE8 and got to know them better, I switched to the medium regular silicon tips because they were just big enough to mostly seal and just small enough to still leak some sound and open up, which is where IE8 sounds its best. I'm wondering if a custom mold would solve all of the adjusting work that these require.

My last IEM was c751.

In general, custom tips usually enhance and offer the purest sound from the earphone itself. When i used to own a pair of custom tips for my Se530, they were far above any universal that i have used. So custom tips should solve your adjusting work, and the sound.

PS: IE8's have some of the smallest drivers out there
wink.gif
it's the housing that is big.

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #4,863 of 8,119
Finally up to date with this thread again. Has anyone thought about informing the publishers of the Guiness Book of World Records about its length?

Has anyone here upgraded from the CX95 to the IE8? If so, could they explain how they differ in sound and in which areas the IE8 improves upon the CX95?

Thanks.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #4,865 of 8,119
ive heard the cx95 and the 8 was just a big jump better in every single way, similar sound signatures but the treble in particular on the 95 just didnt have the precision and clarity to compete with the 8. the 95 makes a valiant effort but the 8 just blows it away

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #4,866 of 8,119
^ I knew I could rely on you to respond Mark. So while you're here, how do you find the soundstage and how does it compare to your Triple.Fi 10 Pro's? How do the mids of the IE8 compare to that of the Trips? Are they as recessed? And as far as the highs go, I understand that they will probably sound softer than the Trips but do they extend anywhere near as far? Lastly, how do these phones compare in terms of clarity and instrument separation? I bet you're sorry that you chimed in now.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #4,867 of 8,119
So anyone know what kind of improvements I might experience jumping from CX500 to IE8?

Thanx.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #4,868 of 8,119
Having had a pair of CX95`s I can say that everything above the bass is chalk and cheese, clarity, soundstage, mids. Even the bass is more and less muddy imo.
If you can afford the ie8`s then I doubt you would ever pick up the cx`s again.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #4,869 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I knew I could rely on you to respond Mark. So while you're here, how do you find the soundstage and how does it compare to your Triple.Fi 10 Pro's? How do the mids of the IE8 compare to that of the Trips? Are they as recessed? And as far as the highs go, I understand that they will probably sound softer than the Trips but do they extend anywhere near as far? Lastly, how do these phones compare in terms of clarity and instrument separation? I bet you're sorry that you chimed in now.

soundstage the triples are good but the 8's are quite a bit better, its instantly noticeably better but not something that i feel is a deal breaker between them but then im never that fussed about soundstage.

the mids are both really similar a little warmer and wetter an the 8 but there is really just so little in it compared to the highs and the lows and the mids are about equally recessed too.

bass the 8 is so much bigger and full on the low end, just so much more robust and powerful and it can hold that bass line with such authority and can hold it in a way the triple cant. the triple has tight punchy bass but it can never really sustain a deep low note like the 8 can, im no big fan of bass on either, the 8 has too much and the triples is all punch.

highs, i like the 8 better. the triples have more and is super sharp but it feels like it hits a frequency then it all stops, very digital like but its super controlled and quite spectacular in its presentation, like a laser light show. super duper crisp and to me feels crisper than it really should do. kinda fun though on some stuff. on the 8 they are still sharp but they arent as abundant and they extend so much higher. they feel so much more organic and natural in the way that i find BA just never get right.

between the 2 i think ge 8 if you want more bass, triple if you want more treble. sound sig wise they really rather similar i think. oh and not sorry, have the flu so am stuck with bugger all else to do but drink lemsip and fruit juice

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #4,870 of 8,119
^ Thanks again Mark. The IE8 is sounding attractive to me as a contrast to my SE530. I've been interested in trying another dynamic earphone because they just sound more "natural" to me. I stress - "to me".

I did try the FX500 though and I found it too fatiguing. It has remarkable clarity but its treble was too biting for my ears. Being a Sennheiser and from what I've read in this enormously long thread, I'm presuming that the IE8 might have a softer presentation overall. I'm tempted to give it a try but it does seem bloody expensive for what it is.

Now try to get plenty of rest and don't forget to keep your fluids up.

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #4,871 of 8,119
if you have had treble trouble in the past the 8 may be the better option but really ive never had huge issue with either. btw unamped the 8 is on the whole the better of the two in my opinion. both are pricey but when you hear them you you do know where your money went

lol any more rest and id be in a coma

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #4,872 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you have had treble trouble in the past the 8 may be the better option but really ive never had huge issue with either. btw unamped the 8 is on the whole the better of the two in my opinion. both are pricey but when you hear them you you do know where your money went

lol any more rest and id be in a coma

Well I've pulled the trigger on the IE8's. I'm not quite sure why but I've got a good feeling about these - credit card trauma notwithstanding. And now it's off to the "For Sale" section in a forlorn attempt to fund them.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #4,873 of 8,119
iponderous-
Cool about the IE8 purchase. I have a feeling you may like these... the treble is so mellow and smooth. And the stage is massive. Paired with a source which has great treble energy will make them really sing. I really like them paired with the Cowon S9. Great match.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #4,874 of 8,119
^ Hi cn11,

I really hope so because this is becoming ridiculous. This is the action of man who cautioned you in another thread about the wisdom of purchasing the JH/13 Pros. Your grain of salt is on its way to you with my compliments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back