Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #4,756 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosley01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have not had time to write up my formal review of my ListenHear custom molds but I can say for me, they have completely transformed my IE8s. I can't wait to listen to them every morning. I think that the custom molds may be a gateway drug to something else.......... They are very addicting and at least anything from JH is better than heroin.

More to come soon regarding my custom molds, I just have to get one side adjusted a bit so another two weeks or so.

Thanks for the update, I look forward to what you have to say. ATM my Hybrid/biflange sandwich is proving to be very satisfactory so I am in no rush.

I hear what you say re JHs. In a way I see this custom mould exercise as either a prelude to buying a pair of JH13s or a deferment of the order.

I am curious as to how effective custom moulds can be and would rather not risk $1,000 in finding out.

Besides I love the IE8 musical involvement effect and have yet to see an avid IE8 owner comparing that aspect of the experience with JH13s.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #4,757 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are u used to?

erm...the stock headphones that come with the Sony NWZ-A818
redface.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #4,758 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by puhn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FOUND IT!

"The IE8 bass tuning functionality is patented-applied for. It works
by adjusting a screw to modify the diameter of a pipe that allows
more or less air to exit a cavity behind the transducer.
If more air can get out (open), the diaphragm can swing further
(less resistance from compressed air) and can therefore generate
more bass. And vice versa."

Thanks for the picture and the explaination. Helps explain why they cost as much as they do. Too bad those of us who don't use the adjustment feature have to pay for all that hardware and engineering.
Sandy.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #4,759 of 8,119
Finally tried out the Sony hybrids over the senn single flange; people here were right; with the extra tip beneath the hybrids isolation is far better and the sound seemed more controlled and powerful compared with the hybrids alone.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #4,760 of 8,119
Quote:

the sound seemed more controlled and powerful compared with the hybrids alone.

This is my experience too. It makes the IE8s even more involving to listen to.

I am hearing a lot of fine detail that might have escaped me before but whether this is as a result of the mod itself or the enhanced listening environment created by the mod I am not sure.

Either way it is excellent to have such an improvement in SQ. I stopped burning in at 1,200 hours and felt that things had gone as far as they could go in that respect.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #4,762 of 8,119
^- I just got them, and it was a birthday gift to myself as well (!).

Anyway, at about 10 hours of burn-in, I have a cloudy bass, and cloudy lower highs. Parts of the spectrum comes through clearly (hi-hats, vocals), contrasting with the parts that don't (texture, parts of the bass).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? And if so, have you found this to be burn-in or tip related?

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #4,763 of 8,119
When i bought them, first two hours they sounded even worser than cx300. But a few hours later i started to enjoy them
smily_headphones1.gif
so dont worry, everything will be alright..

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #4,765 of 8,119
after about a month not listening to them and using mainly(all the time!)the fx500,i can say safely that the ie8 is the better iem for me.the airness,soundstage,clarity,details,instrument seperation is truly superb.what a fantastic gigantic enoromess open soundstage,i cant believe i am listening to an iem, its very very open.the fx500 is clearly the better bass phone but sometimes i find it too much,and the treble is piercing in my head and there is sibilance in some vocals.i am glad that i bought the ie8 although it was expensive but truly deserves it for what it do best.now the fx500 will be in my drower instead of the ie8,hehe.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #4,766 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by partysnatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^- I just got them, and it was a birthday gift to myself as well (!).

Anyway, at about 10 hours of burn-in, I have a cloudy bass, and cloudy lower highs. Parts of the spectrum comes through clearly (hi-hats, vocals), contrasting with the parts that don't (texture, parts of the bass).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? And if so, have you found this to be burn-in or tip related?

You haven't read all the comments in this thread about that have you? Almost everyone experiences that until at some point they declare the IE8 to have completed burn-in. For me, there were big changes in the first 24-48 hours, then the remainder took 400+ hours before I could accept the sound. For others they were happy at the end of 24-48 hours, but for me the bass remained overpowering and cloudy, with some recessed mids and highs.

I had to try several tips and a few sources and amps to make them sound right. So, the only time I used the IE8 now is with my laptop > Pico DAC > ALO Amphora > IE8 when I don't want a lot of isolation from an IEM (to hear my family calling, etc), or don't want to wear a full size headphone.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #4,767 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by puhn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FOUND IT!

"The IE8 bass tuning functionality is patented-applied for. It works
by adjusting a screw to modify the diameter of a pipe that allows
more or less air to exit a cavity behind the transducer.
If more air can get out (open), the diaphragm can swing further
(less resistance from compressed air) and can therefore generate
more bass. And vice versa."

This had been mentioned before in this thread and is also the simple explanation why the IE8's don't have perfect isolation. They have big hole in them! Cover the bass knob and you'll straight away experience perfect islolation, on par with the best islolation on any IEM's out there. Sennheiser made a decision to sacrifice isolation for soundstage and air between instruments. Everyone's always complaining about the isolation and going to all sorts of trouble to mod tips every which way, but it has nothing to do with the tips. Once you realise that that the low isolation is the reason for this phenomenal soundstage and air, you can enjoy them better.

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #4,768 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicalMetal420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This had been mentioned before in this thread and is also the simple explanation why the IE8's don't have perfect isolation. They have big hole in them! Cover the bass knob and you'll straight away experience perfect islolation, on par with the best islolation on any IEM's out there. Sennheiser made a decision to sacrifice isolation for soundstage and air between instruments. Everyone's always complaining about the isolation and going to all sorts of trouble to mod tips every which way, but it has nothing to do with the tips. Once you realise that that the low isolation is the reason for this phenomenal soundstage and air, you can enjoy them better.

Good explanation; however, it is my experience that tips still can make big difference in isolation with these IEMs.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #4,770 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You haven't read all the comments in this thread about that have you? Everyone experiences that until at some point they declare the IE8 to have completed burn-in.

No everyone does not. I did not. I will thank you not to put words in my mouth if you will be so gracious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back