Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #4,742 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seal and isolation for the ie8 are not the same thing in that the rear of the dynamic driver is not sealed and exterior sounds will pass through the driver's membrane. They do sound great, though.
Sandy.

Now that is a good point. So no matter how effective the seal is, isolation will never be 100% due to the inherent design? That clarifies a lot.

The evidence of an effective seal will be the degree of suction when you pull it out of your ear. Mine goes 'pop'.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #4,743 of 8,119
Right so I had my IE8s replaced about 2 weeks ago, and I've been burning them in. Does anyone know, but it sounds as if the cable is louder on the left hand side. I think it's more treble energy on the left hand side, but it definitely feels louder

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #4,744 of 8,119
I've heard that the Bass will be better and better (softer and tighter) after several hundreds hours of burning, how many average hours (for the IE8) does it take to (almost complete) the burning process?

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #4,746 of 8,119
I remember so too
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #4,747 of 8,119
I just received them, my quick pre-burn in impressions:

- the tips, outside of fit and comfort, have different distances from the end of the tip, to the mesh inside. The closest distances, such as on the standard foam tips, give a more muddy sound (in my opinion). The furthest distance, like on the "mushroom" tip design, give a more detailed, brighter, sound with very little bass and emphasis on the higher part of mid. I like the "medium" ones, which would be the lamelle thingies.

Did anyone comment on this distance thing already? The distance to the mesh seems pretty consistent with my impressions of the tip sound, and what other people say (=the mushroom tips are the brightest)

- airy and open sound

- isolation is medium strength, which is perfect for me. If I snap my fingers next to my ear, it is definitely muffled

- the sound before burn-in lacks a bit of detail, and is a bit cloudy in the bass, but already reveals their fun/quality potential. Could maybe be a bit more neutral/flat in the mids. But let's see.
smily_headphones1.gif

This will be fun.
biggrin.gif
I will post some more impressions later on.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #4,748 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right so I had my IE8s replaced about 2 weeks ago, and I've been burning them in. Does anyone know, but it sounds as if the cable is louder on the left hand side. I think it's more treble energy on the left hand side, but it definitely feels louder

Are the bass settings equal on both sides?

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #4,750 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still haven’t given up on the possibility of having a custom mould made either.

I still have not had time to write up my formal review of my ListenHear custom molds but I can say for me, they have completely transformed my IE8s. I can't wait to listen to them every morning. I think that the custom molds may be a gateway drug to something else.......... They are very addicting and at least anything from JH is better than heroin.

More to come soon regarding my custom molds, I just have to get one side adjusted a bit so another two weeks or so.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #4,752 of 8,119
FOUND IT!

"The IE8 bass tuning functionality is patented-applied for. It works
by adjusting a screw to modify the diameter of a pipe that allows
more or less air to exit a cavity behind the transducer.
If more air can get out (open), the diaphragm can swing further
(less resistance from compressed air) and can therefore generate
more bass. And vice versa."

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #4,753 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by puhn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FOUND IT!

"The IE8 bass tuning functionality is patented-applied for. It works
by adjusting a screw to modify the diameter of a pipe that allows
more or less air to exit a cavity behind the transducer.
If more air can get out (open), the diaphragm can swing further
(less resistance from compressed air) and can therefore generate
more bass. And vice versa."

Nice! This is what I thought too. There is a (bigger) hole like this in the back of my Beyerdynamic DT-150s, and when I was acoustic-modding them, closing this hole killed the bass completely.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #4,754 of 8,119
Mine MIGHT be here today....I really, really hope so because I want to hear these babies so badly...even if they don't sound great out the box, they're still going to be in a different league to what i'm used to!

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #4,755 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzy833 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine MIGHT be here today....I really, really hope so because I want to hear these babies so badly...even if they don't sound great out the box, they're still going to be in a different league to what i'm used to!

What are u used to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back