Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
May 25, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #4,141 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Rebski I can agree with your sentiments and source of confusion
wink.gif

I have to say that my IE8 possesses no dominant bass that hides the mids and treble to my ears.With certain tips and placing the IEMs too deep in my ear canal then I'd agree with that characteristic.

Of course there are some other IEMs that may have smoother mids, better extended treble or what not; but non of the rated top tier IEMs I've tried (SE530, W3, UM3X and Triplel fi 10) gets me as actively engaged in the music I listen to as the IE8. Ever since I received these I've just been Head Bopping and Toe Tapping 24/7. So like you I'd say I really like my IE8's and really think they're great and can't wait to see what a re-cabling does to them.

With regards to the various confusing audiophile lexicons ever so loosely used. I'd suggest you read the review in this link. In fact I think every head fier should read it. Its hands down the best review I've ever read.
Here's the link:http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com/bi...ega2Review.pdf

Thanks for that link, and I did try to read it. But I guess the ADD clicked in and I just could not finish it. Sometimes, I think there is too much analysis going on. I guess I am one of those dumb listeners who would rather just listen. Instead of headstage, I get headhurt ... from trying to decipher all the terms, analyses, critical listening views, etc.

But I do agree, it's very hard to wade through all the terminology. And of course I don't begrudge anyone else who wants to get deep into the science of sound. But for me, listening is enough. If I don't like it and or want to hear something even more ear/brain-pleasing, I try something new.

May 25, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #4,142 of 8,119
Quote:

Hey Rebski I can agree with your sentiments and source of confusion
wink.gif

I have to say that my IE8 possesses no dominant bass that hides the mids and treble to my ears.With certain tips and placing the IEMs too deep in my ear canal then I'd agree with that characteristic.

Of course there are some other IEMs that may have smoother mids, better extended treble or what not; but non of the rated top tier IEMs I've tried (SE530, W3, UM3X and Triplel fi 10) gets me as actively engaged in the music I listen to as the IE8. Ever since I received these I've just been Head Bopping and Toe Tapping 24/7. So like you I'd say I really like my IE8's and really think they're great and can't wait to see what a re-cabling does to them.

With regards to the various confusing audiophile lexicons ever so loosely used. I'd suggest you read the review in this link. In fact I think every head fier should read it. Its hands down the best review I've ever read.
Here's the link:http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com/bi...ega2Review.pdf

I agree with the bold above, hence my earlier comments. And my IE8s are as deep as I can get them, the housing doesn't allow them to go deeper in my ears so for me it is not possible to test and find out!

And thanks for the provided link, so far it is really good!

May 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #4,143 of 8,119
Congratulations HPA, now you can finally ENJOY IE8 without uncontrolled bass and rolled
off highs. It's somewhat of a wonder how a 16 ohm IEM is so darn picky about amp and
source, and hopefully a different cable might solve or at least mitigate this problem.

May 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #4,144 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you are not a bass head! Personal taste might steer you to another IEM, but the bass on my IE8s do not overpower any other spectrum. How much time have you put on your IE8s? Burn in is critical, at least 250 hours in my experience, but the more the better. I would say play them at a loud level for a week, loud enough to be uncomfortable after 5 minutes of listening and see what that does for them.

They already got over 270 hours with that volume. No I am not a bass head. I would also say IE8 will fit more into that category.

May 25, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #4,145 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I am one of those dumb listeners who would rather just listen. Instead of headstage, I get headhurt ... from trying to decipher all the terms, analyses, critical listening views, etc.

Hey tstarn06 am sorry but that was funny haha
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I actually understand your viewpoint. Sometimes its just best to rid of all this analyzing the music and just listen. I must say though, that the review is rather long. It actually took me a few days before I could've grasped my head masterfully around what what the reviewer was saying. It has paid off because it has added to my musical enjoyment and appreciation of beautiful music immensely.

May 25, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #4,146 of 8,119
@HPA, thanks for your sharing. if ALO Amphora is portable amp, that would be a bliss to all IE8 users. To my fading memory, IE8 detailness is lagging behind a lot compared to UM3x which now I own. I will take it amping with right amp like this must bring the most of IE8, as same as the leap of detailness which it lacks when unamped.

May 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #4,147 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@HPA, thanks for your sharing. if ALO Amphora is portable amp, that would be a bliss to all IE8 users. To my fading memory, IE8 detailness is lagging behind a lot compared to UM3x which now I own. I will take it amping with right amp like this must bring the most of IE8, as same as the leap of detailness which it lacks when unamped.

It is a fairly large portable - about 7" x 5" x 2.5" just from eyeballing it, in a nice wooden box. It ran 38 hours on a single charge, has two headphone jacks and can drive two 32 ohm headphones with no change in sound, with two inputs and one preamp out, hi low gain, and charge switch (wont play while charging which takes 2-3 hours).

May 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #4,148 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Amphora is THE ONLY amp in my collection that truly brings out the potential of the IE8 (with the rolled D10 close behind). Something magical happens with this combo, and with the Amphora the IE8 can match or beat the Westone 3 with UM56 tips (depending on the recording), but with ANY other amp the IE8 cannot come as close to sounding this good. Remember, my UM56 make a big improvement in the W3 sound over universal tips, so my experience may be different than yours - I still prefer the W3 over the IE8 when used direct from headphone out of any of my iPods. And the W3 sound good with all my amps, unlike the IE8.

Hey HeadPhoneAddict Thanks a lot for your impressions with regards to this IE8 Amphora combp. This "magical" combination seems tempting but I suppose it comes at a premium cost.

One question though. One of the things I think that the W3 and the UM3X does better than the IE8 is that they are definitely more transparent. Would you say that this amp adds to the transparency of the IE8 so that it equals or supersedes that of the W3?

regards

May 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #4,149 of 8,119
Quote:

Hey HeadPhoneAddict Thanks a lot for your impressions with regards to this IE8 Amphora combp. This "magical" combination seems tempting but I suppose it comes at a premium cost.

One question though. One of the things I think that the W3 and the UM3X does better than the IE8 is that they are definitely more transparent. Would you say that this amp adds to the transparency of the IE8 so that it equals or supersedes that of the W3?

regards

Yes, that is what I said in my last post. If you look at my public profile I have a large number of desktop and portable amps, and I have tried the IE8 with all of them. Only the Amphora makes them sound like a $400 IEM, with good transparency and neutral but rich timbre and tone. I was ready to sell the IE8 for some UM3X (since I can't sell the W3), until I tried the IE8 after their long burn-in one more time with the Amphora. Without an Amphora I would have posted the IE8 for sale this weekend.

May 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #4,150 of 8,119
Not so portable though is it...

May 25, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #4,151 of 8,119
That's why he has the W3 + UM56 + iPhone 3G...

May 25, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #4,153 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that is what I said in my last post. If you look at my public profile I have a large number of desktop and portable amps, and I have tried the IE8 with all of them. Only the Amphora makes them sound like a $400 IEM, with good transparency and neutral but rich timbre and tone. I was ready to sell the IE8 for some UM3X (since I can't sell the W3), until I tried the IE8 after their long burn-in one more time with the Amphora. Without an Amphora I would have posted the IE8 for sale this weekend.

I glad that you finally found IE8 a good amp. Even it is greatly improve its quialty up to level of W3+UM56,and the fact that I love IE8 very much, this amp is still pricey for me after I just checked its price tag,995USD

May 25, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #4,154 of 8,119
iBasso D10 is a "close second", and that cost 275 USD + shipping + opamp kit from Hiflight

May 26, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #4,155 of 8,119
Hi received my new x1060 today and once more : BIG MICROPHONICS ISSUE WHEN I TOUCH/MOVE THE JACK! Why, why???
My senn's MX660 jack isnt even gold plated but it doesnt make scrrccchh scrrccch as soon as it moves in my pocket!
Is there any kind of chemical reaction between the ie8 and the mp3 unit which has to set up each time?
Oooohh the sounds of my classical MXs, which sound very good, is so flat
smily_headphones1.gif
These ie8 (fitted with some t400s for my large ears) sound so great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back