Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #4,096 of 8,119
redface.gif

average_joe started the tradition, I've only carried it out.

Can't compare since I don't have any other high end audio stuff, but no sibilance, and I
can hear up to 18khz and more. Oh, and you don't have to use the t400 after you de-core
it, it gives an even better seal if you just cut up one of those drugstore ear plugs to about
half of the full length of t400, the smaller expansiveness of those foams help the seal to
stay. The only problem: t400 expands to its full size and pushes out Sony hybrid's nozzle,
so you got the hybrid and foam in your ear when you try to take them out
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure about your question though, but I do squeeze the foam and
open my mouth to insert them, then close my mouth and pull them out a bit
for the seal.

May 21, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #4,097 of 8,119
Guys, seems like you are not afraid to lost IE8 in your ears!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #4,099 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have the Corda Move (Mk1 model) with the IE8? I could get it off the FS forum on here and might purchase it. Is it quite bright?

The IE8 are too bassy with my 3MOVE for my ears, but then everyone knows the IE8 are not my favorite. There is something about them with the right amp (opamp rolled D10 or ALO Amphora) that wont let me sell them yet.

May 21, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #4,100 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 are too bassy with my 3MOVE for my ears, but then everyone knows the IE8 are not my favorite. There is something about them with the right amp (opamp rolled D10 or ALO Amphora) that wont let me sell them yet.

Hmm... Is that the same with the headsix as well? Cheap amps for me are good
wink.gif

May 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #4,101 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Hmm... Is that the same with the headsix as well? Cheap amps for me are good
wink.gif

I just discovered that my IE8 have been running on repeat with my bedside iPod Nano 2G since Wednesday of last week, for an additional 200 hours of unintentional burn-in, to put them at over 700 hours now. When I tried them on my iPhone 3G just now I had to check and see if the EQ was turned on because the boomy-ness was much better and the mids are sounding slightly fuller and richer.

They still seem a bit soft up at the high end with no changes there, and the sound signature is pretty close to before, but they are sounding more like my HD600 and less like an HD650 which I don't like so much. I have no idea at what point between 500 and 700 hours that the changes in bass occurred, but I know 50% of the bass improvement occurred in the 1st 24 hours, and I'm guessing another 25% occurred by 440 hours when I last reported on it. But now the bass is pretty well tolerable with several of my sources and amps (have only tried the opamp rolled D10, iPhone 3G and Amphora so far, as I am headed out the door). If they had just a little more sparkle with the iphone I would be happy, but treble boost EQ is too much. Acoustic EQ on iPhone 3G still sounds better, but is not mandatory.

May 21, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #4,102 of 8,119
Thanks for sharing HPA! That is a welcome accident
wink.gif
. Even so, I do not fancy burning my IE8 in for 700 hours...

May 22, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #4,103 of 8,119
Man HPA, guess the IE8 really grows with burn-in, make me really anxious to know what your
opinion will be at the 1000 hour mark, maybe better than W3 but less than UM3X?
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, a new mod I just put together that's giving me the best isolation (> comply) yet.
Again, it's for deep insertion, but I can't feel them in my ear after a minute or two, unless
I eat that is
wink.gif

foam_cake_1.jpg

foam_cake_2.jpg

foam_cake_3.jpg

foam_cake_4.jpg

May 22, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #4,104 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man HPA, guess the IE8 really grows with burn-in, make me really anxious to know what your
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, a new mod I just put together that's giving me the best isolation (> comply) yet.
Again, it's for deep insertion, but I can't feel them in my ear after a minute or two, unless
I eat that is
wink.gif

foam_cake_1.jpg

Wow, that looks great and brings back memories of my first attempt (pics here and here).

Except yours looks good and mine look like frankenstein bolts, great job!

And HPA, I have experienced similar burn in milestones but at much earlier times, maybe because my initial burn in was partially using sine, square, saw, and triangle waves at a fairly loud volume. I would shave off about 200 hours of what you have wrote for my experience. My IE8s were running 24/7 when connected to my computer for a few weeks even after I thought they were burned.

May 22, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #4,105 of 8,119
The weird part is that I didn't hear much change in the 400 - 450 hour period, and only minimal adjustment to the bass levels through to about 500. But maybe I was just getting used to the sound and didn't hear the gradual changes - it was more of a shock to listen after 8 days away from them while they were running that whole time.

May 22, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #4,106 of 8,119
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I eat that is
wink.gif

Nice camera too :wink:

Do you use glue when you do such pile-ups of tips? I guess you dont want anything get stuck in your ear when you pull up everything!

Another more general question: in senn's manual it is adviced to regularly relase the seal to let the air penetrate to release pressure and reduce risks of infection. Does anyone actually do that, and at which frequency?

May 22, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #4,107 of 8,119
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I eat that is
wink.gif

foam_cake_1.jpg

foam_cake_2.jpg

foam_cake_3.jpg

foam_cake_4.jpg

Nice Mod!!

What does sound like now compared to sony hybird or other tips?

May 22, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #4,108 of 8,119
You guys make me blush
redface.gif

Apologize for taking so long to reply, wasn't feeling well (sinus pain)

To mosso2000:
No, I dare not glue them for I love tweaking these things more than
what SQ improvement they may provide.
They do stay in your ear when you try to take them out if you move
your jaw to a great extent after you've inserted them for 30 minutes.
As for releasing seal regularly, I rarely got a good seal before I use
this mod, and I wasn't going to try my luck getting a re-seal.

To gameboy115:
I can't really compare to the hybrids (since I don't get seals from these
along), but I am able to compare to the complys (they were the only ones
that provided enough isolation), more detail (crisper) and wider soundstage.
As for highs and mids I just eq that up, the joy of using a computer as your source.

Oh, you can also slightly change the orientation of the small foam and sony hybrids,
so when you inserted them they fit the shape of your ear canal better, which might
mean that it could get close to customs.

May 22, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #4,109 of 8,119
I noticed this thing bugging me for a couple of days..
It seems as if some recordings, the vocals are pushed the left slightly away from centre. If I swap sides, the sound is just made the same but on the right this time... Could this happen from the tips quality or even the cable? (I hope it's not the cable) Or maybe because my ears are slightly different?
Edit: I think the foam tips are to blame here. I think they are wearing down slightly, since the silicon ones are pretty much ok.

May 22, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #4,110 of 8,119
Quote:

I noticed this thing bugging me for a couple of days..
It seems as if some recordings, the vocals are pushed the left slightly away from centre. If I swap sides, the sound is just made the same but on the right this time... Could this happen from the tips quality or even the cable? (I hope it's not the cable) Or maybe because my ears are slightly different?

Have a listen to a mono track. If the sound is firmly in the middle with that then you're fine. Make sure it's mono though.

The stereo image is good enough with these things to make small changes in position in a stereo mix fairly apparent, so it might just be telling you the truth about some recordings.

If the sound isn't dead in the middle with a mono track then you have some kind of problem with them and should probably contact Sennheizer or the local dealer. It could be an ear mismatch rather than an electrical problem of course, so maybe try different earbuds as well.

Also you might try unseating the earbuds and then reseating them in the same ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back