Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #4,081 of 8,119
May I suggest you try some immediate mod, as the foam can be pushed down to allow
other tips on top, maybe large foam below and small foam on top even.
And by upside down I presume your talking about wire down right?

May 20, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #4,082 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mosso2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, I am slightly worried about the fit of my new pair of IE8s which is actually faulty at the jack, so I am going to return them but I could ask for a refund instead of an exhange.
Ok so here is my issue (see photo attached), I found that actually the phones fit ok in my ear canal when they are really upward, even slightly backwards. However, there is an angle on the headphone which makes this position very painful! Just to precise that, as pointed by the arrow on the picture, I have probably a bit more of skin at the front ear than most of people which makes things even more painful; you can see the constraint on it, imagine for minutes...!
I tried to hold them upside down also, but the seal is not so good...
So... I'm a bit stuck. I tried all supplied buds but none could allow a fit in a "normal" position. Any suggestion for a better fit, or due to the angle of my ear canal will this be hard to find a solution?
Thanks for your help!

Hi there Mosso2000 I think you may have to figure out for yourself the best placement within your ear as we all have different ears
icon10.gif
Judging from the pic though it looks like you're inserting them way too deep. I'd pull them out a notch and slightly twist clockwise. just keep experimenting!

With regards to the " faulty jack" if, you referring to the crackling sound as well as left to right channel imbalance when you rotate the jack. I think that I read that it was due to the fact that its a nickel jack ( not the normally goldplated jacks). If that's the case then there's nothing to worry about because mine went away with usage. Hope this helps!

May 20, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #4,083 of 8,119
Quote:

Hi all, I am slightly worried about the fit of my new pair of IE8s which is actually faulty at the jack, so I am going to return them but I could ask for a refund instead of an exhange.
Ok so here is my issue (see photo attached), I found that actually the phones fit ok in my ear canal when they are really upward, even slightly backwards. However, there is an angle on the headphone which makes this position very painful! Just to precise that, as pointed by the arrow on the picture, I have probably a bit more of skin at the front ear than most of people which makes things even more painful; you can see the constraint on it, imagine for minutes...!
I tried to hold them upside down also, but the seal is not so good...
So... I'm a bit stuck. I tried all supplied buds but none could allow a fit in a "normal" position. Any suggestion for a better fit, or due to the angle of my ear canal will this be hard to find a solution?
Thanks for your help!

dont push them in so far they really prefer to sit a bit further out. if u can afford the time try the tips in my sig, they sit a bit further out than the senn tips do and may help you

May 20, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #4,084 of 8,119
Just slot it in a relaxed position. Don't push in too deep. It holds well and I get adequete isolation with it. Unfortunately because your IE 8 is defective you can't really test it, but IMO, the IE 8 sounds best when not pushed way in. Give it a try, it may actually stay in place and not fall out.

May 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #4,085 of 8,119
Thanks all for your suggestions. I guess the way to try is to use a larger bud if I leave them a bot outer as then the seal is quite poor as far as i tested yesterday...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With regards to the " faulty jack" if, you referring to the crackling sound as well as left to right channel imbalance when you rotate the jack. I think that I read that it was due to the fact that its a nickel jack ( not the normally goldplated jacks). If that's the case then there's nothing to worry about because mine went away with usage. Hope this helps!

Are you sure it's gonna disappear with time? It cracks a lot with both my s639 and iphone 3G. I cant think of walking with it - it would crack at each step!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #4,086 of 8,119
Quote:

I tried all supplied buds but none could allow a fit in a "normal" position. Any suggestion for a better fit, or due to the angle of my ear canal will this be hard to find a solution?
Thanks for your help!

Hmm, they don't look like they're seated properly to me. They look like they need to be rotated clockwise I think, like HONEYBOY said. Here's my bad Photoshop reconstruction
ksc75smile.gif

mosso.jpg

May 20, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #4,088 of 8,119
Quote:

Are you sure it's gonna disappear with time? It cracks a lot with both my s639 and iphone 3G. I cant think of walking with it - it would crack at each step!!

I had a crackler...mostly gone within three/four days at most.

May 20, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #4,089 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a crackler...mostly gone within three/four days at most.

floatsmile.png
Crackling:

Ok, so today, testing again and guess what, no more crackling at all! Weird!

deadhorse.gif
Fitting:

Tried the "standard" position, more or less what is shown in the first picture; fit is comfortable, but seal is'nt good as buds do not seal - it seems I have kinda deep ears!

The positions where seal is good is the second, kinda same as the previous post picture (but not made by an iphone this time :wink: ), and you can see the it may be too deep indeed with a different orientation, probably because I have to "dig" further to fit...?

So, do you think that a triple frange earbud might help, sonething much longer than the stock pieces?
mark2410: are the buds in your link longer than the ones provided in senn's package?

May 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #4,090 of 8,119
its a bi flange and yes its longer than the senn tips so they can sit a bit further out.

i think your having the same fit issues i had when i first got the IE7 i kept pushing them in to get a seal and they were just not comfortable at all, for me those tips and learning to let them sit shallow and not very tightly sealed. then magic, great sound and comfotable fit, just not a lot of isolation but i can live with that.

May 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #4,091 of 8,119
thanks mark. It's worth a try, for sure. what are the difference between tips and buds in the ebay ad? are they all the same?

The weird thing is that the orientation of my ear canal seems to be upright not slightly forward... Hope I'll manage to solve the issue. Now my head is about to explode again!

And I guess I have to burn it anyway, while I can gather many buds!

Anyone knows a high-street shop which sells buds?

May 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #4,092 of 8,119
Cracking with every step shouldn't happen, mine only cracks a bit when I intentionally twist it.

If you have some comply t400s and sony hybrid, here's another mod you can try (it's for
really shallow insertion):
de-core a t400s (using fingernails is the easiest, but somewhat messy way), put a sony
hybrid's nozzle into the core (leave some room for the IE8 nozzle), compress the t400
you just de-cored and push it up the core until it meets the coat, flip a Senn large foam
so the smaller side faces the housing, and push the core into the large foam. Now fiddle
a bit and push the IE8 nozzle in, and you have a somewhat bombshell looking tip that
even when inserted, will leave your IE8 quite far away from your ear canal.

May 20, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #4,093 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cracking with every step shouldn't happen, mine only cracks a bit when I intentionally twist it.

If you have some comply t400s and sony hybrid, here's another mod you can try (it's for
really shallow insertion):
de-core a t400s (using fingernails is the easiest, but somewhat messy way), put a sony
hybrid's nozzle into the core (leave some room for the IE8 nozzle), compress the t400
you just de-cored and push it up the core until it meets the coat, flip a Senn large foam
so the smaller side faces the housing, and push the core into the large foam. Now fiddle
a bit and push the IE8 nozzle in, and you have a somewhat bombshell looking tip that
even when inserted, will leave your IE8 quite far away from your ear canal.

I'm note sure I really understand... if you made this by yourself, did you make any picture to help?

Anyway, I ordered the T400 fomies as well as mark's advised ones - I hope something will fit!

I'm a bit sad, I tried to wake up my good old x5 to make the burn but it seems it won't boot anymore... R.I.P. cowon!

May 20, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #4,094 of 8,119
2.jpg

What I have in my left ear as of now, inserted really deep, greatest amount of detail,
bass curbed with EQ.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The bomb shell
smily_headphones1.gif
as you can see it sticks out quite a bit

May 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #4,095 of 8,119
omg that's pure art!
eek.gif

How are the trebles with this extreme mod?
Basically, you're filling a sony silicone with a T400, good job!
beerchug.gif

I may give a try if in complete desperation
icon10.gif

little question : do you have to pull your ear nackwars/upwards or whatever to fit this in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back