Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #3,601 of 8,119
Yup, if you've never used regular 'ol earplugs then yeah it's a new sensation. They're meant to block out external noise (though apparently these do less than others) so you're going to hear muffled noise outside of them.

You'll get used to it.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #3,602 of 8,119
After 24 hours of burn in, here is my impression.

Highs Still nothing special but at least they don't sizzle. My ears are a bit sensitive to highs and so far the IE8's are producing very satifactory sounds here just nothing spectacular.

Mids Sounds much better than out of the box. Not nearly as veiled. I could still use more mid for my taste. Vocals are clear, but don't stand out as much as I'd like. Compared to my SA6's, the IE8's are still a few steps behind but improving. If the IE8's can match or exceed my SA6's in this area after further burn in, I may reach audio nirvana.
biggrin.gif

(Of course I could always adjust the mid with the EQ, but right now I'm testing everything with a flaq EQ and various clearbass settings.)

Bass The bass has cleared up quite nicely but are still not as punchy as I would like. The quantity and reach is just awesome. I have the setting on "3" right now. With no EQ the IE8's sound amazing and easily trump my Super.fi Pro 5's in every way including when I have the bass on my A829 maxed. With clearbass turned up on the 3 setting, it can be too much on some songs. Something I NEVER thought I'd say. Sometimes I turn it up anyways just so I can feel the brain rattling bass (although I only use the "2" setting for clearbass. 3 is too much!). It's crazy to be able to pump out so much bass in an IEM.

The Sony tips are still amazing. Very confortable.

The soundstage has really improved. I'm not sure if it's due to the soundstage actually opening up or because the sound just isn't as muddled. Either way, it's a big improvement and I'm loving it.

Classical Music For some reason classical music doesn't sound "right" to me. The imaging seems to be off. I spent quite of bit of my life in Orchestra and have attended live concerts. The spatial representation of instruments just doesn't seem quite right. The separation between the various string instruments and where they relate to the rest of the stage doesn't seem quite right. I will do more testing, but for now classical doesn't seem to be the IE8's forte. Although this may change with more burn in.

I'm testing using Nigel Kennedy's performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Anyone else have opinions regarding classical music on the IE 8's?

Apr 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #3,603 of 8,119
you are choosing to listen to vivaldi?????

including spring?????

i ****ing loath that piece of music, what ever company it was that put that into all the "hold" machines grrrrrrrrr

the instant i hear it i instantly get tense, frustrated and pissed off to hell

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #3,604 of 8,119
I'm thinking about trying new tips. Any suggestions on some to use? Seems like the sony hybrid tips are working well for a lot of people. Best place to order those, or possibly some other alternatives?

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #3,605 of 8,119
I like the medium sony hybrids, I heard you can get them on amazon. My second favorite are the Shure silicones from the SCL line.

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #3,608 of 8,119
Someone may tried, but here's my way to improve IE8's isolation.

I cut 1/3 of small form tips off, and inserted behind the first flange, and placed the whole large size form tips on the stems of IE8, then put the whole double flange tips.

It somehow fixed my fitting/isolation problems, since the large double flange tips didn't fit me.

It's simple and all you need is a pair of scissors and 5 min of struggling
wink.gif

P.S.
sry for super large size upload mistake..

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #3,610 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanSpirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone may tried, but here's my way to improve IE8's isolation.

I cut 1/3 of small form tips off, and inserted behind the first flange, and placed the whole large size form tips on the stems of IE8, then put the whole double flange tips.

It somehow fixed my fitting/isolation problems, since the large double flange tips didn't fit me.

It's simple and all you need is a pair of scissors and 5 min of struggling
wink.gif

P.S.
sry for super large size upload mistake..

I did a similar mod but used full T-400 Complys between each flange. Ridiculous isolation now.

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #3,611 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a similar mod but used full T-400 Complys between each flange. Ridiculous isolation now.

Naru w

I tried Ety's Form tips first, but then it didn't fit with my ears..

After struggled with those for a while i came to this.

Did comply fits well?

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #3,612 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanSpirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Naru w

I tried Ety's Form tips first, but then it didn't fit with my ears..

After struggled with those for a while i came to this.

Did comply fits well?

They fit fine for me. They are probably 50% compressed between the flanges. I've always used large tips though. On the smaller-sized stems I always use the old Etymotic foams (the large, long yellow-orange ones).

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #3,613 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They fit fine for me. They are probably 50% compressed between the flanges. I've always used large tips though. On the smaller-sized stems I always use the old Etymotic foams (the large, long yellow-orange ones).

I see
smile_phones.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3,615 of 8,119
Totally agree... the Sony tips aren't terribly cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back