Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #3,421 of 8,119
I'm with you on enjoying the EPEX10A tips, davidhunternyc. While I can't say they're giving me any appreciable boost in sound quality, isolation and fit are improved. While I'm one of those people who gets a good fit with the stock Sennheiser single-flange silicones, the EPEX10A tips make the IE8s even more flush and secure.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #3,422 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edward Ng turned be on to these replacement tips for the IE8. They are the Sony-EPEX10A replacement earbuds. I now have over 300 hours burn-in on my IE8 and I love them. My only complaint was that they kept falling out of my ears and that the isolation was not that great. So when Ed told me about these replacements earbuds, I was a bit skeptical. I have to say I am a believer now. They stay in my ears completely and isolate just a bit more than before; still not great but serviceable. The reason why I am writing this is because of what I did not expect. The sound quality improved significantly with the Sony earbuds. Maybe it is because of the narrower opening in the tips (as opposed the fairly wide holes with the stock IE8 earbuds). Maybe it is because they go a bit deeper in my ears. The sound is just rounder, fuller, and the bass has a lot more impact. Everything sounds clearer to me. How much difference do the new tips make? I have been thinking about this for a few days now trying to get an accurate read on how much improvement the new earbuds are for me. I would have to say that the sound quality is a good 20% better than the stock tips. That is a significant improvement for not a lot of money, say $15 bucks or so including shipping. If others get turned on to them, let me know your thoughts.

Amazon.com: Sony EPEX10A/BLK Hybrid Replacement Earbuds (Black): Your Store

That's awesome about the Sony hybrid tips. I tried them, but for me they actually darken things down a little compared to the UE single flange silicone tips. I recently picked up a member's package of extra tips, which include the RE2 & Ebay bi-flanges, the Sony hybrid tips, as well as a few others. In trying both kinds of the longer bi-flanges I realized that my ear canal must make that bend inward toward my brain really quickly, because it seemed that the longer bi-flanges would hit the opposite wall and not insert nearly far enough. It was like they were literally impossible to use. The Sony tips are a little longer than the UE's too, so while they were comfortable and seemed pretty good, they didn't allow for as good of a fit as the UE's. I guess I need that shorter style tip, with the wider opening.

Moral of this long, rambling silliness, is that it's funny how different everyone's ears are!

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #3,423 of 8,119
Im a proud new owner of some IE8's
smily_headphones1.gif
They are outstanding for the price here in Aus.... Its more then double to get either the TF10 or SE530! So im not really complaining.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #3,425 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...........They are the Sony-EPEX10A replacement earbuds........

I have been told by a fellow Head-fier that these tips in fact come in seven sizes, S, SS, MS, MM, ML, L, and LL. The EPEX10A is just a mix of sorts. I intend to ring a place here in Australia(Speedyspares) that carries these genuine Sony Hybrid tips and order some(after confirmation). If this is true, what attention to detail offered by Sony for its products. If the M size is just a bit small simply use ML. If only Sennheiser provided this bounty, it would save alot of grief.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #3,426 of 8,119
I might sell mine IE8's because I don't listen them enough. But overall I have been happy with them but I rather spend my little moneys on the desktop rig.

If someone from the EU is interested shoot me a pm.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #3,427 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been told by a fellow Head-fier that these tips in fact come in six sizes, SS MS M ML L LL. The EPEX10A is just a mix of sorts. I intend to ring a place here in Australia(Speedyspares) that carries these genuine Sony Hybrid tips and order some(after confirmation). If this is true, what attention to detail offered by Sony for its products. If the M size is just a bot small simply use ML. If only Sennheiser provided this bounty, it would save alot of grief.

The retail EX10A packs do not contain ML and LL tips, at least not in the UK or US:

EP-EX10A (EPEX10A) : Accessories and headphones : Sony

EP-EX10A/BLK | Replacement Ear Cushions | Sony | Sony Style USA

Quote:

Let the music play. Each replacement hybrid ear cushion is constructed of soft silicone on the outside for a super-soft and secure fit. On the inside of the ear cushion is rigid silicone which produces a tighter seal to prevent sound leakage. Made to accommodate a full range of ears, each package includes SS, S, M and L sizes.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #3,429 of 8,119
Update on Sony Tips.

Just ordered size M & L from the MDR-EX700LP
and size ML from the MDR-EX700SL. The LP variant has 4 sizes and the SL has seven. Both are the same size(Inner diameter) and interchangeable between each phone.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #3,430 of 8,119
Just got my pair.

A bit disappointed with soundstage compared to my shure se530 (feels kinda the same). Treble is nice, a bit harsh though. Vocals are extremely recessed to my ears as well.That might improve during burnin though i hope.

Bass is banging though. Love it
biggrin.gif

P.S. those serrated tips are one of the weirdest tips designed ever. Designed for non-humans or something lol

Also, do you guys feel that after burn-in, bass extension gets better? Thanks!

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #3,431 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoonf144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my pair.

A bit disappointed with soundstage compared to my shure se530 (feels kinda the same). Treble is nice, a bit harsh though. Vocals are extremely recessed to my ears as well.That might improve during burnin though i hope.

Bass is banging though. Love it
biggrin.gif

P.S. those serrated tips are one of the weirdest tips designed ever. Designed for non-humans or something lol

Also, do you guys feel that after burn-in, bass extension gets better? Thanks!

Burn-in is your friend, wait 100 hrs then report back.

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #3,432 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn-in is your friend, wait 100 hrs then report back.

Cool
biggrin.gif

Just tried the virtual haircut as well. AWESOME
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #3,433 of 8,119
just picked up my IE8s today. when switching from the standard medium sleeves to the double flanged medium sleeves, the base difference is incredible! right out of the box, they sound pretty bad compared to my Klipsch Custom 3s, but i am excited about woo-ing out the sounds of the IE8s over the next 200 hours or so. haven't found a good fit yet, at least not as good as the Custom 3's. must be the memory wire. speaking of wires, the cables on the IE8s are far superior to the Custom 3s, hands-down! over all looking forward to growing with these badboys
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #3,435 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know if the IE7 have a similar burn-in time to the IE8's?
is it ~100 hours for both?

They both need burn-in time, but how much time depends on when they sound good enough to you.
How long do you have on them so far?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back