Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #3,331 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes sense. I will probably end up selling my IE8s, just because I have enough excellent phones, and prefer the W3 sound. Also, the new Yuin G1As I received to review recently are really starting to sound excellent amped (with burn-in). The IE8s are excellent, as I noted, but I really don't need two top-tier IEMs.

Fair enough, that is justification enough for a sale and some cash reimburseent
smily_headphones1.gif
. Have you delved into the sub-world of custom IEMs yet? All in good time- theres no rush, of course- but the ES3X acclaim does intrigue quite heavily in that custom offering from Westone! Even more so with my positive experience with the 3. It is of considerable inflated expense in the UK/Europe, however, unfortunately ( I cannot see myself affording approx 930 GBP on an IEM any time soon, even if I sold all the universal models I have and/or was prepared to spend that much money).

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #3,332 of 8,119
My thoughts on the W3 and IE8 are in line with what BloodSugar and tstarn06 have been saying - after I posted my mini-review and a couple of updates there just isn't a lot more for me to say.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #3,333 of 8,119
anyone thought of recabling the ie8s? with maybe es2 cable?

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #3,334 of 8,119
Recabling any headphone/IEM is not an area of tweaking/experimentation I've gotten to yet
wink.gif
. Would be all open to it in good time, however.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #3,335 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone thought of recabling the ie8s? with maybe es2 cable?

I think I've read that Null and Apuresound are working on IE8 cables. I'll definitely be picking one up once they're out.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #3,336 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I've read that Null and Apuresound are working on IE8 cables. I'll definitely be picking one up once they're out.

I just e-mailed both of them; hope I'll get some details soon!

-Ed

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #3,337 of 8,119
I love my IE8s, they are absolutely great IEMs.

However, I feel as though they have a midbass mudiness to them. Going from my RS-1 to my IE8 makes my IE8s sound somewhat muffled. Do other people have this as well?

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #3,338 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just e-mailed both of them; hope I'll get some details soon! -Ed

Not to mention Ed, the replacement Sony Earbuds that you told me about. They really improve the fit and comfort of the IE8.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-B...7855972&sr=8-1

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #3,339 of 8,119
I love my IE8s, they are absolutely great IEMs.

However, I feel as though they have a midbass mudiness to them. Going from my RS-1 to my IE8 makes my IE8s sound somewhat muffled. Do other people have this as well?

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #3,340 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to mention Ed, the replacement Sony Earbuds that you told me about. They really improve the fit and comfort of the IE8.
Amazon.com: Sony EPEX10A/BLK Hybrid Replacement Earbuds (Black): Electronics

Yes...a few of us here in the forums have even further improved on those tips by combining them with foam behind the flanges for better isolation and to sculpt the sound even more. You may want to try that; just take those de-cored Shure black olives I gave you (small size), and just slide them down until they are behind the flange, and flip the flange back on them.

I know you primarily use your pair at home, so isolation isn't as important for you, but it may shape the sound even more to your liking (if not, just slide them right back off!).

Happy listening!

-Ed

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #3,341 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddkyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I NEED HELP! Any fellow Canadians with IE8?? I have been trying to Find one in stock everywhere (of course at reasonably priced) since i have read about them. I have gone thru many, and i mean many mid range IEM for last 4-5 years. IE8 seems like the perfect candinate as my first high end IEM as i listen to lots of hip hop, soul and jazz I NEED THEM!!!
wink_face.gif

They seem to be no retailers, except apple store which charges the retail at $449.
Kind of scared to order from overseas due to customs and such.
Any recommendations? I see lots of UK retailers selling them at reasonable price, i am almost thinking of trying to find someone who would ship it to me.

NCIX carries them but you'll have to wait for them to get in stock. They're the cheapest in Canada that I have found and they seem to get them in every few weeks.

I got mine from Advanced MP3 Players According to them they will have them in stock again on March 31st.

They took a good 6 weeks to get them in stock after I ordered but their pricing at the time was £196.51 minus the "listenlive" discount code they had available which took £39.00 off. Shipping was cheap too..... my total including shipping to Canada via FedEx was £168.42 which worked out to $305 CDN. Best of all I wasn't dinged for any taxes or brokerage fees so compared to buying from NCIX I saved a good $100 CDN.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #3,342 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NCIX carries them but you'll have to wait for them to get in stock. They're the cheapest in Canada that I have found and they seem to get them in every few weeks.

I got mine from Advanced MP3 Players According to them they will have them in stock again on March 31st.

They took a good 6 weeks to get them in stock after I ordered but their pricing at the time was £196.51 minus the "listenlive" discount code they had available which took £39.00 off. Shipping was cheap too..... my total including shipping to Canada via FedEx was £168.42 which worked out to $305 CDN. Best of all I wasn't dinged for any taxes or brokerage fees so compared to buying from NCIX I saved a good $100 CDN.

I got mine from AMP3 too, custome fees when FedEx pick up at your doorstep is 55CAD

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3,343 of 8,119
Didn't realize you made that change (the foam inside the Sony tip),. I thought you gave up on it. How does it make a difference SQ-wise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes...a few of us here in the forums have even further improved on those tips by combining them with foam behind the flanges for better isolation and to sculpt the sound even more. You may want to try that; just take those de-cored Shure black olives I gave you (small size), and just slide them down until they are behind the flange, and flip the flange back on them.

I know you primarily use your pair at home, so isolation isn't as important for you, but it may shape the sound even more to your liking (if not, just slide them right back off!).

Happy listening!

-Ed

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #3,344 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't realize you made that change (the foam inside the Sony tip),. I thought you gave up on it. How does it make a difference SQ-wise?

I tested originally using the de-cored T400 foam behind the flange of the Sony EX-EP10A buds and that was miserably dark, but when I did the same test using de-cored Shure black olives, I hit money!

-Ed

EDIT:

My current impression of Westone 3 versus IE8, with these tips, I get a very similar overall tonality with both IEMs, but the problem for me with IE8 that I believe I can never resolve is that there is something about the texture that fails to prove as transparent to me with the IE8 as the Westone 3s sound to me, particularly with vocals. That's really the only thing the Westone 3 is doing for me that the IE8s are not, and this delivering a more transparent overall sound. Whether this is considered the Sennheiser, "veil," is beyond me, but the lack of transparency, which I attribute to the texture of the sound, is what separates the IE8 from the Westone 3 now.

As far as the actual differences in tonality, the IE8s give me better extension at the highs; in order to get more air out of my Westone 3s, I have to go back to the sibilant long/narrow Complys, which at this point I think I won't do as Complys are a consumable item and I happen to have quite a sibilant music selection. With the triflanges on my Westone 3, I actually have brighter sound from my IE8s with the hybrid Sony EP-EX10A/Shure black olive hybrid tips, rendering the Westone 3s less fatiguing to listen to and to wear (these Shure black olives really stuff my ears up!).

To put it in practical terms, I prefer the sound from my IE8s with classical music and instrumentals, especially material full of strings. On the other hand, I am still happier listening to all my rock, pop and metal with the Westone 3s.

That being said, I am planning to get two pairs of ear moulds done from an audiologist, perhaps tomorrow, and have one set sent to Westone for UM-56 tips for the Westone 3s and another set sent to ACS for the IE8s.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #3,345 of 8,119
I got the ebay ones, and found they were worse for me. Couldn't get a good seal, and they sounded bad (I seem to be the only person...). Should I even try the Sony tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back