Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #3,271 of 8,119
Edward Ng-
That pic of all your tips is hysterical!!! And, it sort of reminds me of my drawer o' tips too! I've got bags o' tips just like that! ....too funny.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #3,272 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PG21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Single flange silicone stock tips worked best for me

Do you work as Sennheiser's tip testing dummy model?

-Ed

j/k!
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #3,273 of 8,119
This place has turned into a chat room all of a sudden. Slow down!

I am still settled on the Sony hybrid silicone tips with the dark green core as being the best sounding. Once I got the Sony tips all thoughts of selling the IE8 went away. They are still below my Westone 3 (which are below my ES3X), but at least very enjoyable now - I stopped burn-in at 450 hours, and probably have 550 hours on them with no recent changes except when I change tips.

The loaner ALO Amphora amp I have here is fantastic with the IE8, and still good with everything else too (partly thanks to the new tips for IE8). I need to get my credit card number to KB for mine soon. It's nice that the IE8 have less hiss on the Amphora than my W3, ES3X or Livewires. With my opamp rolled D10, Predator, Pico, XM5, etc there is no hiss with any IEM, but the Shure volume attenuator clears it up pretty easily when there is hiss.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #3,274 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #3,275 of 8,119
Quote:

I am still settled on the Sony hybrid silicone tips with the dark green core as being the best sounding. Once I got the Sony tips all thoughts of selling the IE8 went away. They are still below my Westone 3 (which are below my ES3X), but at least very enjoyable now - I stopped burn-in at 450 hours, and probably have 550 hours on them with no recent changes except when I change tips...

tongue.gif
!!!

As far as my current (and likely final--okay, I'm probably lying) impression of Westone 3 versus IE8, with these tips, I get a very similar sound signature with both IEMs, but the problem for me with IE8 that I believe I can never resolve is that there is something about the texture that fails to prove as transparent to me with the IE8 as the Westone 3s sound to me, particularly with vocals. That's really the only thing the Westone 3 is doing for me that the IE8s are not, and this delivering a more transparent overall sound. Whether this is considered the Sennheiser, "veil," is beyond me, but the lack of transparency, which I attribute to the texture of the sound, is what separates the IE8 from the Westone 3 now. I should perhaps compare with the same amp to be sure, though...

-Ed

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #3,276 of 8,119
I've gone back over onto the shure medium foamies under stock large silicone tips. I agree with Edward Ng that maybe it's the sound for me, slightly less dark than the T-400's with silicone. I get the hybrid sony tips next week so maybe they will improve the sound further paired with the shure foams.

Takes quite a bit of tip experimenting with these phones, but they're sweet when you eventually get it right.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #3,277 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by theitchybeard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Takes quite a bit of tip experimenting with these phones, but they're sweet when you eventually get it right.

Exactly... and it's funny how one tip will be the answer for one person, and not another. So maybe it would be a good idea to list the 'top' tips, and default to recommending that selection for a new owner to try out if the provided Senn tips aren't working ideally.

Maybe it would look like this:

Ebay/RE2 biflange
Sony hybrid silicone
UE single flange silicone

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #3,278 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you work as Sennheiser's tip testing dummy model?

-Ed

...no!
atsmile.gif

For some reason every IEM I try the single silicones work best

beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #3,279 of 8,119
Regarding the wind noise, that actually happen to me yesterday. But it's a strong wind blowing from one side and it sound nasty LOL. I was using large single flange. Normally i dont encounter it but 90% of listening are done in room. So no violent wind
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #3,280 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So maybe it would be a good idea to list the 'top' tips, and default to recommending that selection for a new owner to try out if the provided Senn tips aren't working ideally.

Good idea, it can be pretty confusing what tips to get with these phones if the stocks aren't working. Would be helpful to have tip info and where to buy in one place for people.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #3,281 of 8,119
Quote:

tongue.gif
!!!

.....the problem for me with IE8 that I believe I can never resolve is that there is something about the texture that fails to prove as transparent to me with the IE8 as the Westone 3s sound to me, particularly with vocals.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts as well in regards to their sound.

I like the IE8.....it's a great IEM once it's broken in (like others have noted they sound awful straight out of the box so put at least 48hrs on them before even giving them a serious listen).....especially if you can get them for under $300. However IMO and my experience with them they don't do anything better than my W3 other than a slightly wider soundstage and to me the W3 does vocals better and seems to do a better job in terms of intimacy with the music. For me the W3 has that little bit extra seduction or magic if you will to it's sound that really makes listening to them very enjoyable. I also enjoy the comfort, ease of fit and isolation of the W3 a lot more than the IE8. For me those extra pluses justify the price premium of the W3.

With that said I'll be selling my IE8s as there's no point for me to have both.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #3,282 of 8,119
I'm keeping these for now and comparing the two between various music genres; plus, I feel like there may be some benefit later on down the road if somebody comes out with upgraded cables, which isn't even an option for Westone 3.

There are other nice things about these; like if I go exercising, I may prefer these because I sweat a lot and the cables are just...easier to deal with the inevitable drippage, not to mention their lighter weight.

-Ed

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #3,283 of 8,119
Quote:

tongue.gif
!!!

As far as my current (and likely final--okay, I'm probably lying) impression of Westone 3 versus IE8, with these tips, I get a very similar sound signature with both IEMs, but the problem for me with IE8 that I believe I can never resolve is that there is something about the texture that fails to prove as transparent to me with the IE8 as the Westone 3s sound to me, particularly with vocals. That's really the only thing the Westone 3 is doing for me that the IE8s are not, and this delivering a more transparent overall sound. Whether this is considered the Sennheiser, "veil," is beyond me, but the lack of transparency, which I attribute to the texture of the sound, is what separates the IE8 from the Westone 3 now. I should perhaps compare with the same amp to be sure, though...

-Ed

I agree completely about the transparency and detail vs veil. But the sound signature therefore can't be similar any more than the HD650 sound like an RS-1 or Edition 9, because there is still a better sense of sparkle and detail from the Westone 3. There seems to be more treble in the W3 than IE8, albeit with less treble extension, and maybe that leads to that more transparent feeling/sensation vs that slightly veiled feeling with IE8. The IE8 are fairly detailed but like you said, they don't have the same texture of the W3.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #3,284 of 8,119
Quote:

I agree completely about the transparency and detail vs veil. But the sound signature therefore can't be similar any more than the HD650 sound like an RS-1 or Edition 9, because there is still a better sense of sparkle and detail from the Westone 3. There seems to be more treble in the W3 than IE8, albeit with less treble extension, and maybe that leads to that more transparent feeling/sensation vs that slightly veiled feeling with IE8. The IE8 are fairly detailed but like you said, they don't have the same texture of the W3.

I am likely using the wrong terminology. What I mean is that texture is quite different, but with these tips, the two IEMs have similar tonality, with the IE8s giving me better extension at the highs; in order to get more air out of my Westone 3s, I have to go back to the sibilant long/narrow Complys, which at this point I think I won't do as Complys are a consumable item and I happen to have quite a sibilant music selection. With the triflanges on my Westone 3, I actually have brighter sound from my IE8s with the hybrid Sony EP-EX10A/Shure black olive hybrid tips, rendering the Westone 3s less fatiguing to listen to and to wear (these Shure black olives really stuff my ears up!).

-Ed

EDIT: To elaborate, I prefer the sound from my IE8s with classical music and instrumentals, especially material full of strings. On the other hand, I am still happier listening to all my rock, pop and metal with the Westone 3s.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #3,285 of 8,119
Quote:

Looks like ~3mm opening at the tip:

-Ed

Nice pics, I measured 7mm opening for the tips I am using.

Quote:

Those are the Head Direct RE tips I ordered to try that turned out way too big for my ears.

-Ed

You wanna send em to me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by theitchybeard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that makes sense with the bass knob, I'll try covering them up with my fingers next time I am out to see if it is 100% down to that, it's does get pretty annoying though as it's pretty windy here all the time at the moment, roll on summer.

I'd be interested to hear about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE2s or OKs, I believe. Could be wrong. They are massive bi-flanges Head-Direct sent out. I have them too, and they are WAY too big for me as well.

Wanna send em my way?

Quote:

I am interested to hear the W3 to compare the treble differences, among other things because I think the IE8 is almost perfect for me in treble response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back