Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #2,026 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how much bigger is the D10 vs. the T4?

Considerably bigger - the T4 is miniscule.

As far as amps go, HPA is an excellent source, I think he has owned almost all of them. There is also a review of 37 amps in the portable headphone amp section. In the $100 range there is the NuForce Icon Mobile and iBasso T4. I had the IM, not enough bass impact for me and my E5 actually sounded better to my ears from my Fuze headphone out.

If you don't need a DAC and want small, the T4 is a no-brainer. If you need the DAC, the Nuforce is a good choice on a budget for low impedance phones like RS-1, D2000, Edition 9, and most IEM (maybe the 16 ohm IE8 is too low impedance for it), and with HD600 you can get moderate volumes but not real loud. It does have slightly less bass impact than some other amps, but with Denon D2000 and Edition 9 which are bass heavy it controls the bass wonderfully.

If you want loads of power and a DAC, the Vividaudiotech.com V1 is the same $99 and more suited to the HD600, still very good with Denon and Ultrasone, but not so great with Grado. It might still be a better choice for the IE8. Battery life is in the 13-18 hour range with the Nuforce and V1, but the T4 can go 24 hours or more.

So, decide what your amp budget is (and make sure you are using line out), and ask, we will tell you our opinion!

See comments above in red.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #2,028 of 8,119
Let me hop on the occasion to place a noob question
The headphones being current-driven devices and the ie8 having very small impedance (16ohms, compared to 30-40 in other high end IEMs) I am guessing any portable device or laptop has enough power to drive them and with gool max volume at that. Say there's a gool DAP that reproduces the sound as it is meant to (no unawanted phase/frequency modification). I can understand that amplifier A1 might work better than amplifier A2 at the job of raising the DAP's max volume without affecting frequencies but I can't see why it should give "better" sound quality than the original DAP. Unless it actually induces frequency distortion on purpose, playing the role of an equalizer.
So I guess in short what I really want to ask is: how can an amplifier produce better sound quality than source ? (excluding noise filtering and volume raising).

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #2,029 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand about the soundstage. Through my Fuze, the soundstage is nice, but not a wow. I have used 2 other sources, an Icon Mobile, Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 sound card. With the Icon Mobile via USB, the soundstage was much better, drop my jaw wow. But the bass extension didn't seem to be there for me vs. my Fuze and sound card.

My sound card with an AD8066 op amp sounds simply amazing with the IE8s, as that op amp is fast, has a big stage, bright, and has great overall impact. I am burning in some other op amps at the moment before I really compare, but the AD8066 is a winner.

My point, source made a big difference for me, and I noticed your sources are 2 DAPs, maybe an amp would help bring out the stage in the IE8s (from LO of course).

And there are a couple of threads on IE8 tips/custom tips. Those threads may help you get a better fit. I am using silicon with comply under, which gives me the best of all worlds.

Ya the soundstage is nice on the clip, but better on the zune and the w i d e s t on my touch 2g.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #2,030 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See comments above in red.

Thanks much. A couple more questions if you don't mind:
- Will the D10 fit in a pocket, or would it need to be in something like a computer case?
- I don't think you can from my reading, but are the op amps in the T4 user rollable?
- How much does the D10 improve your W3s, PFEs, and D2000s vs. the T4? And in particular how does the soundstage, bass extension, and detail compare?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya the soundstage is nice on the clip, but better on the zune and the w i d e s t on my touch 2g.

Ah, I see. That is why I am building a LOD for my Fuze, I don't think it sounds great compared to my sound card. Funny thing is about 1 month ago I thought the Fuze sounded really good!

Funny how my wallet is on the slippery slope to emptiness
L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #2,031 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mugiwara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me hop on the occasion to place a noob question
The headphones being current-driven devices and the ie8 having very small impedance (16ohms, compared to 30-40 in other high end IEMs) I am guessing any portable device or laptop has enough power to drive them and with gool max volume at that. Say there's a gool DAP that reproduces the sound as it is meant to (no unawanted phase/frequency modification). I can understand that amplifier A1 might work better than amplifier A2 at the job of raising the DAP's max volume without affecting frequencies but I can't see why it should give "better" sound quality than the original DAP. Unless it actually induces frequency distortion on purpose, playing the role of an equalizer.
So I guess in short what I really want to ask is: how can an amplifier produce better sound quality than source ? (excluding noise filtering and volume raising).

This really belongs in the portable amps forum, and it has been discussed many, many times before (although the search function is down, I guess), but the short answer is: because a good quality portable amp yields better sound quality (through the line out, of course, which bypasses the DAP's internal amp) than the teeny, tiny internal amp in the DAP. I have to confess, though, that the question is a little confusing as to the conditions or assumptions you are making regarding "frequency modification," "affecting frequencies," etc.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #2,032 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but the short answer is: because a good quality portable amp yields better sound quality (through the line out, of course, which bypasses the DAP's internal amp) than the teeny, tiny internal amp in the DAP.

Thanks for answering despite the wrong thread!
Now I get it. I was thinking why would people every want to plug a portable amp in DAP's headphone-out ? It was actually line out which perfectly makes sense. I did not know such output existed on portable DAPs. Good day to you!

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #2,033 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mugiwara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for answering despite the wrong thread!
Now I get it. I was thinking why would people every want to plug a portable amp in DAP's headphone-out ? It was actually line out which perfectly makes sense. I did not know such output existed on portable DAPs. Good day to you!

There are some folks who use an external amp out of the headphone out on some DAP's (such as the Zune), but I've never used an amp in that configuration. Some one recently asked about this in the Portable Amps forum, as I recall.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #2,034 of 8,119
The IE8 is now "in stock" on ncixus.com, with a price tag of... $222.19! The cheapest shipping costs around $13, and I paid $17.53 for Fedex Priority Air.

My order was placed an hour ago, and now the tracking page indicates that: order received, price verified, product availability verified, shipping info verified, credit card verified, payment processed (my card has been charged), and order processed. It remains for them to send me the "you order has been shipped" email. Let's see will it go through this time. Good luck ordering everyone!

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #2,036 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by khtse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 is now "in stock" on ncixus.com, with a price tag of... $222.19! The cheapest shipping costs around $13, and I paid $17.53 for Fedex Priority Air.

My order was placed an hour ago, and now the tracking page indicates that: order received, price verified, product availability verified, shipping info verified, credit card verified, payment processed (my card has been charged), and order processed. It remains for them to send me the "you order has been shipped" email. Let's see will it go through this time. Good luck ordering everyone!

Totally not there now. No search results and no such product exists message as of 7:00 EST. I was thinking of picking one up at that price.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #2,037 of 8,119
Quote:

Congrats man. That's an absolutely killer deal! When you are listening to them burned in, you will be in disbelief at the caliber of sound you're getting for that price you nabbed them for.
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #2,040 of 8,119
Quote:

Wow. best luck on the transaction!
Let us know if it went through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back