Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #901 of 8,119
I've just returned to the IE8 for the second time, after selling the W3 twice. Thanks to jwbrent's tip about not inserting the IE8 so far in, I was able to kill two birds with one stone.

1. It totally solved the pressure problem from the housing on my inner ears (they were really red and sore the first time round). Now I can wear them for 3 hours or more, and not be aware they're even in my ears.

2. The midrange is not as aggressive as it was before, and I assume that's because they're not as close to my ear canals anymore. And with the medium Soamies (Sennheiser foamies
atsmile.gif
), I don't have to have them wedged in to get good isolation. They also sound less dark when I wear them like this. It's a real improvement to my ears from what I heard before.

And as far as the W3/IE8 preference goes, well, they're both great phones in their own right. But my ears didn't seem to be compatible with the W3, and the sibilance was a big concern. With the IE8, I don't have to worry about it, and I like the bass and soundstage better, all with no EQ at all. They're great as they are. Plus they're lighter, and I prefer the longer distance between the earpieces and the splitter.

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #902 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just returned to the IE8 for the second time, after selling the W3 twice. Thanks to jwbrent's tip about not inserting the IE8 so far in, I was able to kill two birds with one stone.

1. It totally solved the pressure problem from the housing on my inner ears (they were really red and sore the first time round). Now I can wear them for 3 hours or more, and not be aware they're even in my ears.

2. The midrange is not as aggressive as it was before, and I assume that's because they're not as close to my ear canals anymore. And with the medium Soamies (Sennheiser foamies
atsmile.gif
), I don't have to have them wedged in to get good isolation. They also sound less dark when I wear them like this. It's a real improvement to my ears from what I heard before.

And as far as the W3/IE8 preference goes, well, they're both great phones in their own right. But my ears didn't seem to be compatible with the W3, and the sibilance was a big concern. With the IE8, I don't have to worry about it, and I like the bass and soundstage better, all with no EQ at all. They're great as they are. Plus they're lighter, and I prefer the longer distance between the earpieces and the splitter.

Haha, so that means to sold yur first IE8 due to the comfort and over aggressive midrange.

So now it's solved, do u love em now or yur previous UE TF10 is better?? :p

Jan 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #903 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSwift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, so that means to sold yur first IE8 due to the comfort and over aggressive midrange.
So now it's solved, do u love em now or yur previous UE TF10 is better?? :p

Overall, I prefer the IE8 now. I'm really happy with them
smile.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #904 of 8,119
Quote:

atsmile.gif

Had you not have sibilance issues with the w3, which would you pick over the other if you have to sell 1?

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #905 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had you not have sibilance issues with the w3, which would you pick over the other if you have to sell 1?

I would definitely still have the W3 if it wasn't for the sibilance, but if I still had them, I wouldn't have re-bought the IE8. And I'd have missed out, because they're so much more impressive the second time round, (fit and SQ etc). Both phones have equally enjoyable, but very very different sound signatures, and I ended up preferring the overall sound of the IE8.

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #906 of 8,119
Quote:

And as far as the W3/IE8 preference goes, well, they both great phones in their own right. But my ears didn't seem to be compatible with the W3, and the sibilance was a big concern. With the IE8, I don't have to worry about it, and I like the bass and soundstage better, all with no EQ at all. They're great as they are. Plus they're lighter, and I prefer the longer distance between the earpieces and the splitter.

And as far as the W3/IE8 preference goes, well, they both seem like great phones in their own right. But my ears probably wouldn't be compatible with the W3, and the sibilance was a big concern. With the IE8, I shouldn't have to worry about it, and I like hearing that the bass and soundstage are better, all with no EQ at all. They seem great as they are. Plus they're lighter, and I prefer the longer distance between the earpieces and the splitter.

I'm sorry, I just read that and I was like "Heeeey... get out of my head."
icon10.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #907 of 8,119
I really love these IEMs, they are very comfortable and light, an open and warm sound. They're great!

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #908 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiosyncratic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really love these IEMs, they are very comfortable and light, an open and warm sound. They're great!

I just had to comment because I saw you make your first two posts....

Joining Head-Fi is a HORRIBLE New Year's Resolution!

EDIT: But sorry about your wallet anyway
icon10.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #909 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And as far as the W3/IE8 preference goes, well, they're both seem like great phones in their own right. But my ears probably wouldn't be compatible with the W3, and the sibilance was a big concern. With the IE8, I shouldn't have to worry about it, and I like hearing that the bass and soundstage are better, all with no EQ at all. They seem great as they are. Plus they're lighter, and I prefer the longer distance between the earpieces and the splitter.

I'm sorry, I just read that and I was like "Heeeey... get out of my head."
icon10.gif

Ha ha. I thought I was seeing double when I read my/your post.
Umm... unless I indulged in too many substances last night and I actually AM seeing double
confused_face(1).gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #910 of 8,119
Soozieq...

You... Are a star!!

I now know (running with my iPhone and Senns) that I will NOT like the W3s due to treble extension / sibilance...

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #911 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now know (running with my iPhone and Senns) that I will NOT like the W3s due to treble extension / sibilance...

Ahhh, but it doesn't seem to be quite so cut and dry, there really doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to who ends up having problems with sibilance with the W3's. It seems to have more to do with a combination of tip selection, ear canal shape, size and distance. Plus, most who have had sibilance issues seem to have been able to solve them eventually.

That said, the tips that work for me still irritate my ears a bit so thanks to another local HF'er I'm going to give the IE8's a try this weekend. They'll only have Comply tips but I'm hoping that will give me enough of a view into their sound to know whether to jump ship and buy them.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #912 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soozieq...

You... Are a star!!

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, soozieq, you're pretty much amazing

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #913 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there really doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to who ends up having problems with sibilance with the W3's.
It seems to have more to do with a combination of tip selection, ear canal shape, size and distance.

So true! They were just too finicky for my ears, and for that price, I wanted something less fussy.

Quote:

I'm going to give the IE8's a try this weekend. They'll only have Comply tips

I found the Comply/Canteloupe tips too big for my ears once they'd expanded. I tried them before with my C700 and TF10, and I just heard a very thick veiled sound. Don't you have any tips from the TF10 that you can try with the IE8? Just so that you have more than one option?

EDIT: !!!! This was my 1500th post
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #914 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh, but it doesn't seem to be quite so cut and dry, there really doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to who ends up having problems with sibilance with the W3's. It seems to have more to do with a combination of tip selection, ear canal shape, size and distance. Plus, most who have had sibilance issues seem to have been able to solve them eventually.

That said, the tips that work for me still irritate my ears a bit so thanks to another local HF'er I'm going to give the IE8's a try this weekend. They'll only have Comply tips but I'm hoping that will give me enough of a view into their sound to know whether to jump ship and buy them.

See, I have a very good reason why I believe sibilance would be an issue for me if I got the Westone 3: I had sibilance problems with the UM2. And there really wasn't a lot of talk about sibilance with the UM2, and the little talk there was, people would often say it was tolerable. It wasn't tolerable for me. Now granted, the Westone 3 is much more popular, but the sibilance problem with the Westone 3 seems to be more prominent than with the UM2. Needless to say, there is a very good chance that I would have had problems if I had bought the Westone 3.

Quote:

So true! They were just too finicky for my ears, and for that price, I wanted something less fussy.

X2

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #915 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much would it cost for full-size cans that can match these? Just wondering how they compare in terms of price : performance ratio.

Quoted for recognition. Anyone? Maybe give me some examples of cans that these sound most similar to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back