Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #586 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser should either burn them in on factory or inform the users, to wait for 100 hours before critical listening. Pretty stupid, they don't do it, I would never expect that kind of change, I didn't believe in burn-in effect, and planned to sell them. Soundstage is impressive now.

I don't know if I need westone 3 now...

I have the Westone 3 too, and still prefer the IE8 over them. The way the IE8 projects the music is just impressive, especially with it's soundstage. I'm just letting the Westone 3 to run in, maybe it will improve like how the UE11 does. Till then, the IE8 is accompanying me on my daily commute.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #587 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any more comments about the IE7s vs. the IE8s?

I don't have IE8 but have Westone 3 to compare with IE7. Westone 3 has slightly cleaner sound, stronger bass, and more isolation than IE7. As far as music quality goes, I'd say Westone 3 is better than IE7. IE7 is probably more neutral than Westone 3.

I'm using IE7 more than Westone 3 because,

1. I personally don't like too much isolation. Westone 3 is good for noisy places but I prefer IE7 in most other places (office/home).

2. IE7 seems more comfortable than Westone 3. I had to take out IE7 every 2~3 hours at first but I learned to place it better and it's super comfy now. Westone 3 is comfortable too but tires my ear after a few hours. The impactful bass of Westone 3 also fatigues my ears.

3. IE7 has better soundstage than Westone 3.

4. The bass from IE7 is sufficient for me. Bass from Westone 3 feels like too much at times.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #588 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Westone 3 too, and still prefer the IE8 over them. The way the IE8 projects the music is just impressive, especially with it's soundstage. I'm just letting the Westone 3 to run in, maybe it will improve like how the UE11 does. Till then, the IE8 is accompanying me on my daily commute.

I received both my IE8 and Westone 3 yesterday and have been listening to both today. It will definitely take some time to decide which I like better sound-wise. If there's anything else that would aid in the decision, it will be if I can get a solid and stable seal with the IE8. Right now, I'm using the larger foam tips and have to sort of angle the IEM into my ear for it to seal well enough, but moving my jaw can break the seal somewhat easily in my right ear.

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #589 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Westone 3 too, and still prefer the IE8 over them. The way the IE8 projects the music is just impressive, especially with it's soundstage.

I was in the supermarket when I put my IE8 in after last burn-in session, and just remained still, absolutely disoriented, trying to figure out what happened, and what am I doing here... Sound was totally different and so enjoyable and involving with amazing soundstage, that I couldn't concentrate on my tasks for a while.

Could you please, elaborate more on IE8 vs W3 topic? This will be extremely valuable. I would be especially interested in soundstage comparison, and mids quality. Which would you prefer for classical music? Which is more natural sounding?

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #590 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received both my IE8 and Westone 3 yesterday and have been listening to both today. It will definitely take some time to decide which I like better sound-wise. If there's anything else that would aid in the decision, it will be if I can get a solid and stable seal with the IE8. Right now, I'm using the larger foam tips and have to sort of angle the IEM into my ear for it to seal well enough, but moving my jaw can break the seal somewhat easily in my right ear.

Looking forward to your true and unbiased impressions, Possum. My wallet would definitely be crying whichever pair your comparison favors.
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #591 of 8,119
Quote:

I received both my IE8 and Westone 3 yesterday and have been listening to both today. It will definitely take some time to decide which I like better sound-wise.

Please do, but not before 100 hours on IE8. Doesn't make any sense before.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #592 of 8,119
Keep these conversations going! I am still am interested in the IE7 and IE8!

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #593 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep these conversations going! I am still am interested in the IE7 and IE8!

Ya, Got the IE8's today, currently listening to Global DJ Broadcast 20. november.
From Markus Schulz.
I've only tried them for like 2 hours so far.
Compared to my AKG k324P there is more clarity in the IE8, they are more detailed, there is a tiny bit more bass I belive, but its a different soundsignature all together.. Ill write a better reviewish post when I have tried more thouroughly other tips and the phones themselves.

And compare to the incomming triple.fi10pro's within next week sometime.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #594 of 8,119
I was planning to go for either SF10 or WS3 based on forum discussions. WS3 is expensive almost £80 compared to IE8. SF10 is still in the same price range of IE8 but I do not like how it stick out of the ear.
I am leaning towards buying an IE8 now.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #595 of 8,119
Quote:

Hey man looking forward to your IE8 and W3 shootout!

I don't know if anyone noticed this before, but I realised that the isolation of the IE8 isn't as good as IEMs like the etymotics or westones. I'm not talking about fit here, i'm saying that the IEM itself seems to leak some sound. Anyone experienced this?

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #596 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was planning to go for either SF10 or WS3 based on forum discussions. WS3 is expensive almost £80 compared to IE8. SF10 is still in the same price range of IE8 but I do not like how it stick out of the ear.
I am leaning towards buying an IE8 now.

Hmm I recommend that you try 1st if possible. All 3 have different sound signatures, so you might prefer one to the other. And discussions are just discussions, at the end its your ear
L3000.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #597 of 8,119
Quote:

Hmm I recommend that you try 1st if possible. All 3 have different sound signatures, so you might prefer one to the other. And discussions are just discussions, at the end its your ear

I agree but its difficult to audition WS3 in UK. I can buy and sell but always at a loss.
Return policy here may allow me to try SF10 and IE8, but I do not know about the package. If they are sealed I may find it difficult to return.

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #598 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Return policy here may allow me to try SF10 and IE8, but I do not know about the package.
If they are sealed I may find it difficult to return.

Don't worry if it's sealed. If you buy from an online retailer, you're protected by our 'Distance Selling Regulations'. This means you can open the package and try the product. You also have 7 working days (starting from the day AFTER receipt), to tell them you don't want it. The 7 days is a cooling off period, and is a legal requirement that online retailers have to abide by, even if they put things in their 'terms and conditions' to confuse you, like restocking fees etc.

They are not allowed to charge a restocking fee. It's illegal, but they assume 90% of people won't know that, and it's true, most people don't know that! So go ahead and buy the headphones, try and keep the packaging neat (sometimes it's not possible!!), and if you decide you don't want them - make sure you inform them by email within the 7 working days. All online retailers in the UK know they're not allowed to refuse returns, OR charge illegal restocking fees if you change your mind within 7 days, so don't let them tell you otherwise!

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #599 of 8,119
Thanks I knew that but sometimes these retailers can be a pain in the a**. Recently I bought a Parker Sonnet pen from a retailer and he didn't give me refund.
And Parker after sales in UK sucKS!
How do you compare SF10 with IE8 with regards to neutrality and un-coloured tonal range? SF10 has better details?

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #600 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry if it's sealed. If you buy from an online retailer, you're protected by our 'Distance Selling Regulations'.

Hey this is very informative! I was one of the ignorant people. Does this apply for any other country as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back