Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #8,086 of 8,119

Well, the gear is Chinese as well, isn't it? I doubt any single one of these ear pieces are made in Germany, lol. On the box it is clearly printed "Made in China"...( If any US maker would offer that cable for the same price, I would be more than happy to order it :) )

these Chinese cable is very poor quality, they break often, it is better to order from reliable manufacturer!

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #8,087 of 8,119
  these Chinese cable is very poor quality, they break often, it is better to order from reliable manufacturer!

I guess only time will tell, by the look it appears to be very robust. I won't take the gear along too often anyway, the Senns will be used primarily at my workstation. In term of sound quality, it makes a huge difference compared to the stock cable, but not to the extent I hoped for. The sound is still dark and bass heavy, though it is a lot more clear than before. The treble extension I expected, did not materialize unfortunately.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #8,088 of 8,119
  I guess only time will tell, by the look it appears to be very robust. I won't take the gear along too often anyway, the Senns will be used primarily at my workstation. In term of sound quality, it makes a huge difference compared to the stock cable, but not to the extent I hoped for. The sound is still dark and bass heavy, though it is a lot more clear than before. The treble extension I expected, did not materialize unfortunately.

you want to say that they are better supplied cable?

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #8,089 of 8,119
  you want to say that they are better supplied cable?

That's exactly what I'm saying, but the sound quality did not improve as much as I was hoping for. Well, at least the sound is no longer drowning in bass, but it is still very dark never the last, and the treble is nearly nonexistent, compared to a pair of TF10, or UE900S. The consistent assault of bass by these ear pieces makes listening music very fatiguing, so I seldom use these...I think eBay will be the final answer, hopefully Sennheiser will develop something new to replace the IE line, with an upgraded version of the adorable Momentum 2 (M2-IEG), their best ever budget gear.

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #8,090 of 8,119
  That's exactly what I'm saying, but the sound quality did not improve as much as I was hoping for. Well, at least the sound is no longer drowning in bass, but it is still very dark never the last, and the treble is nearly nonexistent, compared to a pair of TF10, or UE900S. The consistent assault of bass by these ear pieces makes listening music very fatiguing, so I seldom use these...I think eBay will be the final answer, hopefully Sennheiser will develop something new to replace the IE line, with an upgraded version of the adorable Momentum 2 (M2-IEG), their best ever budget gear.

The fact that you said "dark" - have you tried to change it with a custom copper cable?

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #8,091 of 8,119
  The fact that you said "dark" - have you tried to change it with a custom copper cable?

If you would recommend one I would try it, provided the price is reasonable. For now I just swapped out the larger ear tips with the medium gels, the less effective seal produces much better sound. These ear pieces with this cable seem to have a good synergy with the Sound Blaster ZXR, so I just keep them at my workstation. The aftermarket cable upgrade did wonders with my UE900s, so I was hoping for the same results if I upgrade the IE80's cable. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FW5JBSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Regardless, the laid back and more musical style of the IE80 turns my music collection at the workstation into a bliss, their ultra-wide sound stage tames my crave for a pair of HD-650. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #8,092 of 8,119
  If you would recommend one I would try it, provided the price is reasonable. For now I just swapped out the larger ear tips with the medium gels, the less effective seal produces much better sound. These ear pieces with this cable seem to have a good synergy with the Sound Blaster ZXR, so I just keep them at my workstation. The aftermarket cable upgrade did wonders with my UE900s, so I was hoping for the same results if I upgrade the IE80's cable. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FW5JBSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Regardless, the laid back and more musical style of the IE80 turns my music collection at the workstation into a bliss, their ultra-wide sound stage tames my crave for a pair of HD-650. 

if you like it then I see no reason to argue.

May 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #8,095 of 8,119
I've just come to say that early 70's Yes sounds fantastic on the IE8's.

May 5, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #8,096 of 8,119
I've just come to say that early 70's Yes sounds fantastic on the IE8's.
welcome to 2017. ay.gif

May 30, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #8,097 of 8,119
I had a pair of IE8 for almost two years and loved them for their warm, on the dark side sound. Until I listened to Sony XBA-H3. That was the end. XBA-H3 have a little more veiled vocals (problem solved on the newer A3 model), other than that they are better than IE8 in every way - more controlled bass, extended range, shinning tremble. If you are considering upgrading your IE8 or IE80, go for XBA series.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #8,098 of 8,119
Hi,

I recently acquired a second hand pair of IE8. I like them but unfortunately the previous owner lost one of the hard foamies tips. Based on the one left of this pair I like them by far the most. I would therefore like to use these but have not find any place that sells them. Do you know of a shop that sells them?Thanks.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #8,099 of 8,119
Hi,

I recently acquired a second hand pair of IE8. I like them but unfortunately the previous owner lost one of the hard foamies tips. Based on the one left of this pair I like them by far the most. I would therefore like to use these but have not find any place that sells them. Do you know of a shop that sells them?Thanks.

If I were you, I would buy these instead. Foam tips will surely provide more isolation but they will also kill high frequencies and the soundstage. Otherwise, go for Comply tips. It is highly improbable you will be able to find original Sennheiser foam tips, considering this model is out of production for quite some time.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #8,100 of 8,119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back