Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #2,761 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will be interested to hear your comparison. Do you also use the tri-flange sleeves with the W3s?

Nope. Those just didn't work. The base of the triflange is too big for my ears, so I snipped those off and tried the biflange configuration. Still no joy.

I'm finding that I get a snap, easy seal with the medium sized dark tips. The foamies offer no improvement in sound, but instead, less comfort.

The silicones just slip right out. I can't understand how those work for others. OTOH, the rubbery finish of the dark tips make for a less slippery surface.

Additionally, I've encountered the sibilance that some have mentioned. This seems to be recording dependent, rather than a consistent issue. Additionally, there are times when the sound comes uncomfortably right at you, being too present (right in your ear drum). Again, this seems to be recording dependent and determined by how the engineer has chosen to separate the different sound contributions. There are some recordings that are just lush and even. There are others where you're going along enjoying the quality and then an instrumental contribution appears right there... too present for comfort, leading to some fatiguing. That presence of sound can be really accentuated with the Westones, contributing to some sibilance as well.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #2,762 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose I am trying to say is that the Phonak's bass seems to have a little faster attack and decay than the IE8 bass - starting and stopping a little quicker. Sometimes with the IE8 a string bass will sound like the sound pressure is building up a just little more slowly when striking or plucking the strings, instead of exploding out of the instrument. A good example is Portico Quartet "Black and White Sessions" in 24/96 format (optical out to iBasso D10), where the string bass is so heavily emphasized at times that it gets to be sounding a little slower and bloated at times. Early in the song "Dawn Patrol", when the string bass musician is plucking upper register strings the sound is fast and sharp, but as the song progresses he moves to the lower strings and plays it much louder - then the IE8 don't seem to keep as well any more and the illusion of real instruments goes out the door as it sounds more like a pounding electric bass.

The good news is that the hanging cymbal strikes are sounding more natural, like with Tord Gustavson Trio "Being There". This is also one of the CD's that does showcase when the bass speed, detail and transparency of the IE8 sounds good as well. But, that's exactly my problem. The IE8 are not tuned to sound consistently good with all my music, and while they can blow me away with "Being There" they can push me away with Shelby Lynn "Just a little Lovin" or Portico Quartet.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that; however I can't recall hearing those differences with the music I use as test tracks (my acoustic test tracks consist of Hotel CA, some Everything But the Girl, Queen, Sublime, and some acoustic performances from pop/rock bands). Since I don't have the PFEs any more I can't re-listen to see if I can hear it.

I do remember the IE8s sounded more natural to me vs. the PFEs with guitars, drums, and cymbals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what I found. With my Zune, which has no EQ, the W3s with the tri-flanges are much too dark, with the mids and highs much too veiled (no amp for my listening tests, and I only have the T4 right now, not a good match). The IE8s, however, mesh much better with the Zune, with the mids and highs coming though clean and clear, no sibilance at all (I am using the RE2 bi-flanges, which I favor for the IE8s by a landslide).

Now, when I moved to the Sony A818 and messed with the EQ a little, bringing up the mids and highs, the W3s sound wonderful. I hate to use the EQ at all, but hey, you have to do what you have to do.

Same with the Touch. I clicked on the treble boost (sounded better than the acoustic setting) and the W3s again really sounded fantastic, no harshness, not treble spikes, bass still full, mids luscious. I know, the Touch EQ is pretty poor on balance, but in this case, it worked for me.

That helps, as I am now thinking the better way for me to go would be get a large player (Zune) and listen to all FLAC files vs. having to change micro SDHC cards on my Fuze vs. getting an amp. Still not decided (may get both, but the Zune doesn't have line out).

And I agree, I don't like to EQ. It just doesn't sound natural to me dating back to the days when I had an EQ on my home stereo.

Quote:

I agree though on the IE8s when it comes to isolation.

- (minus) 1
wink_face.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #2,763 of 8,119
My 250 hours burn-in process ended yesterday. They properly got a little more now by now. (260) 13 days waiting!! Damn you Head-fi
biggrin.gif

A short first time experience, they don't bring out overall lots of details and wide soundstage like TF10 but voices sound nice and forward. Bass is still about great already by MIN settings as expected.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #2,764 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I agree, I don't like to EQ. It just doesn't sound natural to me dating back to the days when I had an EQ on my home stereo.
- (minus) 1
wink_face.gif

That's if the phones give a neutral sound.

My personal benchmark are my HD 650's. I use them with a flat EQ at all times and love their sound. They show up the recordings as they are. If a recording is well done, it will be presented as such with no deficiency in sound.

To get a similar sound from these Westones, while playing the same recordings, I have to enable 'treble boost'.

So this 'natural sound' isn't always achieved by keeping the EQ disabled. My Westones would not be used if I were to insist that the EQ should be disabled because of concern that the music will no longer be 'natural' sounding.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #2,765 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayajin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 250 hours burn-in process ended yesterday. They properly got a little more now by now. (260) 13 days waiting!! Damn you Head-fi
biggrin.gif

A short first time experience, they don't bring out overall lots of details and wide soundstage like TF10 but voices sound nice and forward. Bass is still about great already by MIN settings as expected.

So how are you going to share with us your confirmation regarding changes in sound as the IE8 burns in?
redface.gif

Are you sure they required that long burn in period, thus warranting all that profound suffering in waiting? I'd love to have heard your opinion on that but..........
triportsad.gif

Just kidding really... enjoy!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #2,766 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's if the phones give a neutral sound.

My personal benchmark are my HD 650's. I use them with a flat EQ at all times and love their sound. They show up the recordings as they are. If a recording is well done, it will be presented as such with no deficiency in sound.

To get a similar sound from these Westones, while playing the same recordings, I have to enable 'treble boost'.

So this 'natural sound' isn't always achieved by keeping the EQ disabled. My Westones would not be used if I were to insist that the EQ should be disabled because of concern that the music will no longer be 'natural' sounding.

My point is I prefer not to worry about the EQ, and want headphones that sound good to me without it. If the W3s need a treble boost to sound natural, then I don't want them! Am I limiting myself, yes. Can my view on this change later, yes. But for now, that is how I feel.

I am not sure why I don't like the sound, I just don't. Maybe I am super sensitive to the phase shift, maybe it is all in my mind, I just think it messes up the sound. And I tried 6 different EQs in Winamp, my Fuze EQ, used to have an outboard home EQ (which actually sounded OK, but not great) and preferred the no-EQed sound from a quality perspective. Now the sound sig unEQed is another thing. And most recently I couldn't get the PFEs to sound good to me with the grey filters and EQing the bass (even trying reducing the rest of the spectrum). Call me weird.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #2,767 of 8,119
Quote:

My point is I prefer not to worry about the EQ, and want headphones that sound good to me without it. If the W3s need a treble boost to sound natural, then I don't want them! Am I limiting myself, yes. Can my view on this change later, yes. But for now, that is how I feel.

I am not sure why I don't like the sound, I just don't. Maybe I am super sensitive to the phase shift, maybe it is all in my mind, I just think it messes up the sound. And I tried 6 different EQs in Winamp, my Fuze EQ, used to have an outboard home EQ (which actually sounded OK, but not great) and preferred the no-EQed sound from a quality perspective. Now the sound sig unEQed is another thing. And most recently I couldn't get the PFEs to sound good to me with the grey filters and EQing the bass (even trying reducing the rest of the spectrum). Call me weird.

I'm not a fan of the EQ in iTunes. It does give the music an unnatural sound that goes beyond a simple adjustment of the frequencies.

However, the Westones on this iPod are an exception. I do really like the sound with the treble boost. It nicely approximates the HD 650's mid to high frequency response with the same recordings. If an EQ setting will do that for a set of IEM's, I'm all for it!!

Of course, I do respect your position on this. It's purist, but it's certainly one to defend!
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #2,770 of 8,119
tstarn06 - I sure wish you could get some UM-56 tips for your W3.

Plus, you could use them with Shure 530 and Image X10 as well. They improved the sound with all three for me.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #2,771 of 8,119
Quote:

Wow, this is exactly how I am, too. Eerie!
beyersmile.png

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #2,772 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06 - I sure wish you could get some UM-56 tips for your W3.

Plus, you could use them with Shure 530 and Image X10 as well. They improved the sound with all three for me.

You know, I was thinking the same thing as I gently pressed the Comply mediums into my ears last night and heard what I heard. I guess the tri-flanges veil the sparkle, but go deep, much like the UM56s will do (without crushing the highs and mids for me). I am gonna snap on that pair of FS custom sleeves I have here, just for kicks and see how it sounds again. Unfortunately, they do not hold the W3s with attaching them upside down, which looks as silly as silly can look.

Anyway, maybe I will invest in the UM56s some day. Not right now, as that little EQ trick (cover your eyes purists) really makes a difference.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #2,773 of 8,119
I personally don't dislike equalization just because of some concept like being a, "purist;" the issue I have with equalization is that 90% of the time, equalization introduces distortion. IMHO, properly designed/engineered equipment requires no equalization.

-Ed

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2,774 of 8,119
Quote:

Here

Those look identical to the UE double flange tips, which I have, and to my ears totally wreck sound signature. Maybe they're a different compound, dunno. Forgive me if it's already been covered whether those ebay tips are indeed different in any way from the UE double flanges. The price on the ebay tips is certainly much better.

SoundEarphones.com Your Earphone Source - Shop - Accessories - Ultimate Ears - Ultimate Ears Dual Flange Replace Eartips Medium Gray

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #2,775 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a fan of the EQ in iTunes. It does give the music an unnatural sound that goes beyond a simple adjustment of the frequencies.

However, the Westones on this iPod are an exception. I do really like the sound with the treble boost. It nicely approximates the HD 650's mid to high frequency response with the same recordings. If an EQ setting will do that for a set of IEM's, I'm all for it!!

Of course, I do respect your position on this. It's purist, but it's certainly one to defend!
beerchug.gif

I guess if I was only going to listen to 1 setup and the EQ sounded OK, then I could go with that, but that isn't the case for me. My wife on the other hand has a Clip with J2s and I have them EQed to rock, and she likes it. To me, the J2s are waaaay to mid forward for me and lack bass. They sounded good compared to the stock buds, except the stock buds have better bass
eek.gif
But since I got the NE-7s and up, I can't stand them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally don't dislike equalization just because of some concept like being a, "purist;" the issue I have with equalization is that 90% of the time, equalization introduces distortion. IMHO, properly designed/engineered equipment requires no equalization.

-Ed

Yea, the distortion (in whatever form) is what kills me, plus I don't want to worry about all the extra button presses to change EQ settings. Glad I have the IE8s that sound awesome to me without any EQing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back