Sennheiser IE7 VS IE8 Discussion Thread
Mar 2, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #61 of 89
This is just a matter of how much of a basshead you are.

I actually thought that the IE8 didn't have as much bass as some other IEMs I've tried! Stuff like the SHure e2c I was like, "this thing has ZERO BASS." and threw them in the trash.

I'm an incorrigible basshead, it's true.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #62 of 89
i bought ie7 yesterday.... ill post a comparison after thorough burn in... im telling you guys, ex700 doesnt lag behind axcept for its small soundstage...

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #64 of 89
Ah, that's a though comparison, as they have different presentations.
But from my own experience, I can tell you I almost do not use my HD555 any more since I got my IE8.
Technically speaking, I think the HD555 has a flatter frequency response, extending both far in the low and the high end, but are quite a bit recessed of at the high end. The upper midrange is more present and upfront on the HD vs IE8, which lower mids are emphasized.
Transparency seems better on the HD, but I think it's because IE8's midbass hump. Personally, I use equalizer to tone down the midbass hump. Even so, IE8 is more bassy, but that's not a bad thing per se. They are also warmer sounding.
But now the best part: the presentation. I would say that listening to the HD is like being a spectator while listening to IE8 is like being in the middle of the scene, right next to the musicians! There is definitely space in the IE8 presentation, just that it's closer.
Another big point for the IE8 is detail: the level of detail is quite a bit higher than on the HD555, imo.
All in all, while I really like HD555's sound, I rarely listen to them any more. The IE8 simply has a more involving sound, even if I would not dare to say which is technically superior.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #65 of 89
Reviving this thread to ask a question
normal_smile .gif

For anyone else who has/had both the IE7 and IE8, do you notice that the IE8's cable is noticeably more "fluid" and "softer" than the IE7's cable? Maybe it's just that my IE7 sat on some stockroom shelf for a long time before arriving to me or something, but my IE7's cable is a bit coiled up, while the IE8's is straight.

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #67 of 89
I like to compare the IE8 to the HD650. While the two don't quite sound alike -- HD650 is clearer and less bassy, but wider presentation whereas IE8 is more bassy and quite a bit more constricted by comparison, with a little muddier sound to it, the two share similar attributes.

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #70 of 89
1 question:

What are various IEMs in IE7 tier (price wise) with following characterstics :
a) similar warm sound & non fatiguing sound
b) similar heavy bass
c) more isolation than IE7/IE8 - coz i will travel in bus and isolation is needed (comparable to head direct RE2 with biflanges will be sufficient)

May 29, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #72 of 89
reviving the thread once more about a year later, if i was to get a pair of ie 7 would the ie7 sound sig be similar to the sound sig of the HD555/558/595/598?

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #75 of 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Back